Forums Latest Members

Crown designs by decade (help!)

1. Btatt Nov 19, 2019

Hi,

I'm looking at a Zenith from the early 1960s and the crown looks a little out of place relative to the case. The logo is the one where the star is recessed by a wavy pattern forming a square (see: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...560611?hash=item340d5df463:g:BPYAAOSwi6tdD15CPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network). Does anyone have any knowledge on which logo was used on crowns in this decade? If it is the wrong crown, does this indicate anything about the rest of the watch? Thank you very much

2. wristpirate Nov 19, 2019

Any photos of the watch you are looking at?

The crown you have linked is generally accepted as being a 1970s+ version

Btatt, Dan S and CaptainWinsor like this.
  3. Btatt Nov 19, 2019

4. Dan S Nov 19, 2019

I would have guessed a star crown for that watch. After that, the crowns had the pin-wheel logo. The 4-corners square logo is later IMO.

wristpirate, Btatt and CaptainWinsor like this.
  5. CaptainWinsor Nov 19, 2019

@wristpirate Is correct but I have seen that crown on later 60s watches as well. I don’t know that there is a hard and fast rule about when, exactly, they switched. The long buckle is the right style for the time but it looks like it’s a Mondia. The case number would suggest 1963 give or take.

wristpirate and Btatt like this.
  6. Btatt Nov 19, 2019

Thank you Dan S and CaptainWinsor
    Just looking at it at a glance, do you think there is anything that might concern you about the watch? I've tried my best to research and movement, dial, case, hands look decent to me but I'm not particularly experienced to say the least
    Any opinions from you knowledgeable folk would be greatly appreciated from a newbie like me

7. wristpirate Nov 19, 2019

Yellow gold crown on a rose gold watch. That tells you enough about originality.

As @Dan S says I'd guess a "Z in star" logo crown for this model, not one I know well enough.

Dial has a bit of patina pretty evenly spread across. Could be a reason to hold the value down if you later decide to part with it. Patina is a fickle thing and another collector could love it.

Btatt and CaptainWinsor like this.
  8. CaptainWinsor Nov 19, 2019

Personally, I find the dial uninteresting. If you’re looking for a Zenith gold watch, keep looking. There are nicer examples.

Btatt likes this.
  9. CaptainWinsor Nov 19, 2019

Btatt likes this.
  10. bubba48 Nov 19, 2019

It's in Italian, but I think it is quite understandable

coronezenithneltempo.jpg