Forums Latest Members

Screw-in crown design new seamasters

1. Jensop Apr 24, 2015

I was looking though an Omega Lifetime magazine and found an illustration of how the various pushers and crowns look on a Seamaster 600 Chrono.
    [​IMG]

This is the time setting crown.

It also mentions that unscrewed it is still water resistant to 5 bar.
    [​IMG]

Would this be the same or similar design the 300 Master Coax uses?

I am reading up on screw in/ down crowns because I have no experirnce with them yet and to be honest I am a bit spooked I'll ruin, under tighten, over tighten the crown...

Guess its like the new Speedmaster owner wondering when to stop winding...

Best regards,
    jens

2. Hijak Apr 24, 2015

Have never had any issues with Omega screw down crowns. Wouldn't worry/overthink this...just be gentle, when the crown stops let go.;)

blufinz52 likes this.
  3. Jensop Apr 25, 2015

Yes, you are right.
    When I tighten it down, I seem to pass a small area of resistance before getting to the stop point. Unwinding it is smoother.

4. Hijak Apr 25, 2015

You should stop at the resistance.

5. Jensop Apr 26, 2015

Ok, thanks. But I do pass the "resistance" with minimal effort - ie I am not forcing it vigourously past just with my fingertips. And then to a definite halt.

Any thoughts on the crown-out WR as mentioned in the notes above?

Thanks again!

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2015

You just need to tighten it until it stops - I sometimes get watches in where people have cranked the crown down so hard I can barely unscrew it, and that is not really necessary. Just screw it down until it stops and give it a slight snug - no need to really tighten it hard since you just want to make sure it doesn't unscrew itself from contact with your wrist or clothing or something..

If you look at the diagram it's pretty clear that the seal is engaged even when the crown is not screwed down - the seal inside the crown contacts the outside diameter of the case tube, and provides the seal.

Cheers, Al

7. Jensop May 23, 2015

Thank you. I will try to do just that. It sounds like the worst I can do is tighten it so much I'll need to find someone with stronger fingers to unscrew it.