Could I Get a Little Help with My First Omega?

Hi everyone,

I've just taken my first leap into the world of finer timepieces with what I hope is a charming entry-level Omega. I’ve always admired Omega for their craftsmanship and iconic designs, so it's a bit of a dream come true to start my collection with one.

While my passion is strong, I must admit that my knowledge doesn't quite match up—yet! I'm diving into some reading to catch up, but in the meantime, I could really use the sharp eyes of this knowledgeable community.

I've attached some pictures of my watch and would be incredibly grateful if you could help me verify its authenticity. I know it can be tough to judge based on images alone, but any insight would be invaluable.

Also, I'm curious about the value of this piece. I'm aware that it's difficult to provide an accurate estimate without seeing the watch in person, but if you could share your thoughts or even a rough guess, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help and for welcoming a newbie into the fold!

Best,

John

Welcome John -

Yes the watch is genuine, however it's not one most forum members would recommend for a first vintage watch as we generally have a dislike for quartz watches of this period.

Check SOLD listings on eBay using the seven digit reference number inside the case back.

And read this:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Everything about your watch is correct, it is all genuine Omega. It dates to about 1980.
While many collectors focus on mechanical watches, your quartz watch has a number of saving graces. The case is stainless steel, preferred by many over plated cases. The bracelet is full sized (lug to lug) so gives the opportunity the change to a strap if so desired.

As to price, it is what you paid.

Welcome John -

Yes the watch is genuine, however it's not one most forum members would recommend for a first vintage watch as we generally have a dislike for quartz watches of this period.

Check SOLD listings on eBay using the seven digit reference number inside the case back.

And read this:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Hi,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and for taking the time to look over my watch!

I appreciate the insight about quartz watches from this era. I wasn't aware of the general sentiment toward them within the collector's community. That's exactly the kind of knowledge I'm here to gain, so it's great to learn from those with more experience.

I'll be sure to check out the link and listings on eBay.That's a helpful tip.

Thanks again for your help!

Everything about your watch is correct, it is all genuine Omega. It dates to about 1980.
While many collectors focus on mechanical watches, your quartz watch has a number of saving graces. The case is stainless steel, preferred by many over plated cases. The bracelet is full sized (lug to lug) so gives the opportunity the change to a strap if so desired.

As to price, it is what you paid.

Thanks for your insights! Good to know the watch stands up well with its steel case and bracelet flexibility. I’m pleased with this start and I’ll definitely look into a mechanical Omega for my next piece. 😀

As @X350 XJR suggests, many on the forum prefer mechanical watches, as did I until another OF member offered his vintage Constellation on Private Watch Sales and I bought it. I became a fan.

If you rotate your watches, apart from the occasional date change, on month endings, you can just leave these running in a drawer until you want to wear it, knowing that it will have kept perfect time and not need re-setting like a run-down mechanical watch.

I still wear mechanical watches but now have three of these electronic Omega 😀

As @X350 XJR suggests, many on the forum prefer mechanical watches, as did I until another OF member offered his vintage Constellation on Private Watch Sales and I bought it. I became a fan.

If you rotate your watches, apart from the occasional date change, on month endings, you can just leave these running in a drawer until you want to wear it, knowing that it will have kept perfect time and not need re-setting like a run-down mechanical watch.

I still wear mechanical watches but now have three of these electronic Omega 😀

Thanks for sharing your experience Spruce! It’s intriguing to hear how your preferences evolved after getting a quartz Omega. The practicality and accuracy you've described do sound appealing, especially for someone building a collection. I’ll definitely keep an open mind about adding both quartz and mechanical watches to my own. Appreciate the insight!

It’s a genuine watch and a good intro but you will soon become obsessed with mechanical watches - be careful!

It’s a genuine watch and a good intro but you will soon become obsessed with mechanical watches - be careful!

Oh, does that mean I’m swimming against the tide 😲

but now have three of these electronic Omega

Ah, but IIRC those are not quartz watches.

I love my f300s too, but quartz watches, no.

IMG_2818.jpg
Edited:

Is it just me or the original images have disappeared?
Not just you. I was about to ask what happened to the pictures.

Not just you. I was about to ask what happened to the pictures.

Typical newbie, picked up their marbles and went home.

Hi everyone,

I've just taken my first leap into the world of finer timepieces with what I hope is a charming entry-level Omega. I’ve always admired Omega for their craftsmanship and iconic designs, so it's a bit of a dream come true to start my collection with one.

While my passion is strong, I must admit that my knowledge doesn't quite match up—yet! I'm diving into some reading to catch up, but in the meantime, I could really use the sharp eyes of this knowledgeable community.

I've attached some pictures of my watch and would be incredibly grateful if you could help me verify its authenticity. I know it can be tough to judge based on images alone, but any insight would be invaluable.

Also, I'm curious about the value of this piece. I'm aware that it's difficult to provide an accurate estimate without seeing the watch in person, but if you could share your thoughts or even a rough guess, that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help and for welcoming a newbie into the fold!

Best,

John