Forums Latest Members

A little help with this find

1. Walrus Jun 1, 2021

image.jpg image.jpg Well the place I’ve scored several gold watches I was too late and the dude found this IWC with a gold case he melted for 325 bucks. I told him I would have given him gold value and he shouldn’t destroy history. I guess I shouldn’t yell at people who run stores I try to be friendly with but I lost my temper for a minute. It’s cool though he understood. So I bought the movement. Now what do I do? Do you think a watch maker would be able to find a case? Not gold necessarily but a case that would work and look ok? It’s running, dial isn’t terrible I have no way to really protect it now I’m at work image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

noelekal, Vitezi, ConElPueblo and 3 others like this.
  2. Walrus Jun 3, 2021

Well FYI I dropped this off at the watchmaker to see if anything can be done. I have not had time to do and due diligence I have no clue if this is a decent movement or what have you all I know is it was in a gold case that he melted for 350 bucks or so. I felt the need to at least try to save it if possible. If it’s not possible to find a generic case I guess I can put it on flea bay or see if someone local needs it. Waiting to hear back if he had any ideas probably not likely but worth a try I guess.

3. redpcar Jun 3, 2021

I've done the exact same thing. Case could be better but fit perfect. PM me if you want more info.

upload_2021-6-3_17-33-11.png

noelekal, Walrus and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. TimeODanaos Jun 3, 2021

Is the movement very thin? Its serial number suggests it's cal 171 from 1966. If so, IWC based that on the long-serving Frederic Piguet cal 21 at a time when they urgently needed to satisfy the contemporary the-thinner-the-better demands of the market. There were only about a couple thousand made, so if so big shame it's gone. :(

Walrus likes this.
  5. Dan S Jun 3, 2021

Looks like a cal 401.

Walrus and TimeODanaos like this.
  6. TimeODanaos Jun 3, 2021

Getting invested in this question now - I'm hoping for Walrus to tell us, but I don't want to re-awaken the emotions stirred by the melt while they are still a bit raw...

Walrus, pdxleaf and Duracuir1 like this.
  7. Walrus Jun 3, 2021

Yes the movement is, I’d say thin. Should have taken a picture of the side view didn’t really cross my mind. Interesting to see @redpcar had a similar experience so what I’m thinking may be possible. I will definitely pm you once I hear back from my watch maker. I wanted to ask the seller how long I missed the whole watch by time wise but I figured it would be better not to know.

Edited Jun 3, 2021
    TimeODanaos likes this.
  8. Dan S Jun 3, 2021

I think the caliber is actually engraved under the balance. Maybe you can read it with a loupe or macro lens photo.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 7.07.53 PM.png

9. Walrus Jun 3, 2021

Oh and to top it off he was asking me to help him determine if a pocket watch he had was silver. I did look for hallmarks I figured even though I’m not into pocket watches I would work something out with him as I have a few friends who are into pocket watches but in case you didn’t know pocket watches are being destroyed regularly as the price of silver is up right now.

People gotta make a buck I understand I try to be open minded but I stopped into one shop to ask about watches, they guy got all snotty and said, “ I’m melting down the pocket watches I’m tired of you guys trying to get my silver.” I politely explained I was looking for wrist watches preferably not precious metal he said “oh sorry and showed me some invictas.”

10. Walrus Jun 3, 2021

Damn good eye Dan the man I’ll call the shop tomorrow see if he can tell me anything.

11. ghce Jun 3, 2021

What pisses me off by all this wholesale destruction of Gold and Silver cased watches is that a watch such as the IWC and many other good brands are probably worth more to a collector than the gold value alone would be.

noelekal and JwRosenthal like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Jun 4, 2021

Agreed, but it’s about quick cash- I don’t think many of these guys care about trying to broker a vintage watch unless is says Rolex on it.

tikkathree likes this.
  13. Screwbacks Jun 4, 2021

i used to have a similar iwc like this in a cal89. mine was a redial so i let go of it. the "w" wing is much shorter.

14. Walrus Jun 4, 2021

Well got a little more info. @Dan S was correct it’s a caliber 401 movement is apparently 11 Linge in size if I am saying that correct. I went as far as calling IWC today the want me to send it in so they can see if they have a case for it available but something tells me that would probably cost me much more than the watch is worth. Did some hunting on flea bay when I had some down time at work things didn’t look to promising. Watchmaker said nice movement, although he just gave it a quick glance I don’t know if the movement has an issues but it does run. So maybe I’ll try to incorporate other needed measurements and who knows maybe there is a timex case that would work. I don’t really care, to me it’s just about saving what’s left of the watch. It would be very cool to do so but I don’t have my hopes up. I can give it some time poking around and I did reach out to the member here who was gracious enough to offer any information if he can. So I guess I’ll either make it happen, find a safe container to store it in snd just hold on to it or put it on eBay. Thanks for the feedback.

Pierre1333, noelekal and ghce like this.
  15. ghce Jun 4, 2021

A man after my own heart! I cannot stand to see an incomplete or faulty watch most certainly not a very nice one like that and I will often spend far more ( sometimes 2 to 3 times ) than the value of the watch getting it right.

noelekal and Walrus like this.
  16. TimeODanaos Jun 5, 2021

I'm glad there's at least a chance of some progress with this, and well done again to the @Walrus . But I am left a bit puzzled still. As @Dan S said, this does look like a cal 401, and it turns out that's because... it is! But now I'm having to question my faith in my look-up tables (Tölke-King). If I read the serial number right, this watch really should be something different. Just don't get it... ::confused2::
    Whatever, good luck with this, and down with smelters!

noelekal and Walrus like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 5, 2021

Here is a picture of an IWC cal. 171 movement:

upload_2021-6-5_9-1-37.png

Similar, but not the same. Your serial number seems to have fooled the IWC movement date app, which lists your movement as a cal. 171.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

noelekal, TimeODanaos and size11s like this.
  18. TimeODanaos Jun 5, 2021

Thanks, and you're quite right about the number - but there's no suggestion there's anything wrong with the OP watch movement, so I guess the lesson is, rely on my eyes, not the app!

19. Walrus Jun 5, 2021

Hey I’m just repeating what my watchmaker said I guess it’s possible he made an error. Anyway at this point I’m digging through “junk cases” I have I completely forgot I have this gold case someone is waiting to buy from me but I think he wants to melt it. It’s actually not a bad watch it’s a, well I forgot the name again and I don’t it may be a little thick but it might be worth a try. If not a member here may be able to help which would be cool
    image.jpg

ghce and noelekal like this.
  20. TimeODanaos Jun 5, 2021

Maybe he sometimes does - but this is Dan and Gator we're talking about here! :) Your watch is indeed a cal 401, and my app has some explaining to do...

Walrus likes this.