Forums Latest Members
  1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 26, 2016

On average what should a good redial cost?.

2. Kwijibo Apr 26, 2016

it depends on what watch. about 100 euros on a simple dial.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 26, 2016

cost to get it done or amount by which watch is 'devalued'?

I'm not trying to be flippant, or derogatory, just curious.

getting it done is probably pretty cheap, but it will cost you when/if you sell it by at least the cost of an original dial - which, say, for a speedy, could be significant.

4. Kwijibo Apr 26, 2016

It really depends on the condition of the dial. Some are clearly ruined. I reccently bought a T17 for a "mouthtull of bread" (as we say in french). the sub dial is completly washed out. I know some good workers. I'll show you the result.
    here's a good result made a few years ago on an Art déco Longines (sorry for the quality of the pic)
    _MG_0996.jpg

Edited Apr 26, 2016
    felsby and ViaAppia like this.
  5. agee Apr 26, 2016

I agree with the above posting
    Need we condemn all redials? Aren't some redials necessary to "save" or bring back a watch
    with a dial that is unreadable or "ruined"?

felsby, dall-houston and ViaAppia like this.
  6. dragoman Apr 26, 2016

Not al redials are born the same.

Of course, a vintage watch with an original dial is worth more for a collector,as it is more valuable for its rareness, as long as the dial is an acceptable state of use.

A refinished dial which pretends to be an original one, if catched out, devalues the watch a lot, not so much for the redial itself, but because the watch is usually made out as if it was a collector piece, and the price usually is way to high for a non-original piece.

Then there are the Mumbay specials, which are usually crap watches with crap dials, valued as crap. Nothing wrong with these, as long as you know what you are buying.

The Korean ones are a different kettle of fish. They are usually vintage watches with dials redone to almost perfect current standards, which maybe have little to do with the original one, but which may be, nevertheless, attractive for some people. For example:

[​IMG]
    I fail to see anything wrong with these watches. They are not collector grade, but they don't pretend to be. If you like a classic watch, you may wear it with pride, and it looks impeccable. What's not to like?

The ones which trouble me more are what I call "bona fide redials". Those redials made on over look-after watches, watches that almost look like new, which were subject to exaggerated maintenance by their owners, and whose dials were refinished, probably to eliminate the slightest patina. I mean those watches that have a lot of maintenance notes (including the redial one) written on the inner side of the caseback, There redials are an historical consequence of how maintaining a watch was understood in the seventies and in the eighties (not to talk about earlier dates). For example:

Bumper 6.jpg
    Bumper 8.jpg

Shall we condemn those original watches with refinished dials in the same way that we condemn a franken watch, or a Geneve pretending to be a Seamaster? How should these watches be valued?

7. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Apr 26, 2016

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
    Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
    And by opposing end them?

8. DON Apr 26, 2016

Really depends on the complexity of the finish and to some companies. The name on the dial

One company I used charged more based on the dial name, so a Rolex cost more than Longines. My main didn't care unless the dial had added features (indexes that needed replating, two tone paint jobs or pearled minute marks).

Rare dials or certain rare watches should never be refinished unless the dial is bad enough. On regular watches. Refinished dials will add to the value and I found for a $50.00 investment. I could add $150.00 to the price of the watch.

DON

9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 26, 2016

The watch in question is on ebay right now. I think the dial was, at the very least, poorly relumed, but I suspect it was redialed too. So,if the price is right, maybe it is a go. I am trying to figure out an estimate to redial.

10. redpcar Apr 26, 2016

I have situations where I redial
    1. It already has a shitty redial on it.
    2. Dial is totally destroyed.
    Price in the US for a redial (mainstream guys) is $50 to $150 depending on complexity.

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 26, 2016

Ya, I think that's what I am looking at, a crappy redial that I think needs to be redone.

12. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 26, 2016

13. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 26, 2016