Cost for letting a watchmaker regulate the timing on a Speedmaster

My first post here, I've been busy reading so many old posts to be honest, tons of info for Omega owners, wow!

I recently picked up a 1999 Speedy Triple Date, absolutely love the watch, it's in pristine cosmetic condition, literally looks brand new, all functions and pushers operating normally. But, it's running roughly -15spd based on informal daily monitoring, and the WIS in me isn't liking that (even though I think -15 is just barely within original spec limits for the Omega 1151 if I read that correctly).

I've read enough warnings to not want to try and open the watch myself to regulate the timing--though I've done so before on inexpensive watches like a Seiko 5. So my question: how much would a watchmaker, Omega tech or otherwise, charge for doing the regulation? I really don't want to spring for a full overhaul charge with an Omega certified tech, though I will if necessary. Advice?

It is a 20+ year old watch. If its never been serviced, its long past due and it would be money well spent. As far as what someone is charging to regulate, cant help much there.

Everyone is different. Ask your watchmaker. 👍

Would you buy a used car that was pristine on the outside if you had no idea how the engine had been previously cared for, there were no service records, and it was running roughly - and you decided to just have the timing sequence adjusted without looking at anything else? Get it serviced.

OK, how about a related question: Omega tech, or any trusted watchmaker? I believe Omega has a pretty much stock Valjoux chronograph movement in this watch, which is part of its appeal as a used timepiece. So a competent watchmaker has likely worked on a movement like this hundreds of times over the years, no? There is an actual Omega service center at the larger of the two Omega ADs in this town, but I've never worked with them before.

I would be a bit surprised if any reputable watchmaker, Omega certified or not, would be willing to do piecemeal work on a 20+ year-old unserviced watch, especially for a stranger walking in off the street. In all likelihood, they make some adjustments, and then the timekeeping continues to degrade because the watch needs a service, and then you come back and complain.

I love the watch so I'll spring for the service, just need to save some pennies to pay for it.

You don’t need to go to Omega. There are many good independents with Omega training and Omega parts accounts. Many will accept, service and return your watch via mail. Just make sure that it is properly packaged and insured.

I make it a personal policy to service a vintage watch in my collection before wearing it for the first time. Most collectors do not do that unfortunately.

Bonus: Watch the Day is a 1952 Bulova Air King

upload_2023-5-17_14-34-4.jpeg
Edited:

Even if you need parts, every Watchmaker can service that Valjoux based movement. Might be around $600.

The cost is completely dependent on what region of what country the OP is in.

Thanks all, I'll make some calls and see where I'm at. I'll try the Omega AD first.

OK, how about a related question: Omega tech, or any trusted watchmaker? I believe Omega has a pretty much stock Valjoux chronograph movement in this watch, which is part of its appeal as a used timepiece. So a competent watchmaker has likely worked on a movement like this hundreds of times over the years, no? There is an actual Omega service center at the larger of the two Omega ADs in this town, but I've never worked with them before.

It's not a "stock" 7750. There are differences that in some cases, will require specific Omega parts to replace worn parts - the biggest one is the rotor bearing...completely different set-up to the standard 7750, and a common wear part.

It's not a "stock" 7750. There are differences that in some cases, will require specific Omega parts to replace worn parts - the biggest one is the rotor bearing...completely different set-up to the standard 7750, and a common wear part.
Good to know! Thanks, Archer.

FYI--Omega has apparently upped their prices on servicing as well. Omega site lists standard service on chronograph movements at $900. I got an estimate from a well-known independent in Seattle and their quote was the same--$900. Seems high given I was charged $750 from an RSC on two different Rolex models (which I paid). Thing is, those were $8K watches. $900 on a $2200 watch is a tough pill to swallow...

FYI--.......... Thing is, those were $8K watches. $900 on a $2200 watch is a tough pill to swallow...

The amount of effort and time required to service/administrate would not differ much between your Rolexes and an Omega.

Basing service costs on the value of the watch doesn't meet the pub test.

FYI--Omega has apparently upped their prices on servicing as well. Omega site lists standard service on chronograph movements at $900. I got an estimate from a well-known independent in Seattle and their quote was the same--$900. Seems high given I was charged $750 from an RSC on two different Rolex models (which I paid). Thing is, those were $8K watches. $900 on a $2200 watch is a tough pill to swallow...
Assuming you contacted Nesbit's in Seattle their pricing will be the same as Omega's in my experience. The big advantage with them is they will be sympathetic to your requests for any case refinishing, saving dial and hands, etc.

Lots of ADs sell preowned watches that are already serviced and come with a one or two year warranty. You bought cheap and now need to service it. All part of the game IMO. Enjoy your new watch!

Lots of ADs sell preowned watches that are already serviced and come with a one or two year warranty. You bought cheap and now need to service it. All part of the game IMO. Enjoy your new watch!

Oh, I agree, I couldn't find the watch in this kind of cosmetic condition anywhere else than where I bought it, so I dove in knowing this might be the needed outcome. I was just crossing my fingers the service cost would be more manageable given my experience with Rolex. But yes, I totally love the watch!