Forums Latest Members
  1. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 11, 2016

I made this purchased as the intent was to acquire a donor watch so that I can convert my 3572.50 back from a panda, and use the panda dial in the donor watch.

I did not want to convert a complete watch, so my thought process was to get a donor watch that would have a service dial, hands, etc and one that had ideally come back from a service. And of course I wanted to be under $1750 for the watch head. Basically I feel this is the price point needed should I want to sell the modded watch in the future and capture my initial investment.

I came across this one on ebay. It is a straight writing and nice and shiny, just back from the Omega service center last year. I sent a few emails to the seller asking for specifics, such as if she could tell me the numbers printed on the end links. Despite asking a few different ways, she continued to tell me the bracelet was 1039 and 1171. I asked if she would end the the auction early, she said no, ebay said no, as she had just called them. I bid the auction to the reserve and sent her directions on how to end the auction. She some how figured it out and I got this in the mail today.

upload_2016-3-11_13-44-9.png

Most all the parts were bagged up and I was not quite sure what to expect, but I figured I would be able to break even if it should fall flat.

So I need help on this. At this point I do not think this would be a suitable donor watch. I think I might be best served putting this back together and keeping it.

There is some spotting on the dial, but not sure if it could not be cleaned. There is also little bits of lume missing, but you have to look hard to see it.

IMG_1297.JPG IMG_1299.JPG

The chrono second hand is bent and has missing paint, the other hands look to be suitable for use.

So I need to figure out:

Can the dial be salvaged and used in this watch?

I may need to source a used chono hands, $25-50 range

If I do this, then I would think the watch would be valued $3k

repoman likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Mar 11, 2016

My guess is the spotting is permanent. You could test that by dabbing at the spots with some rodico---just avoid anything that's printed.

3. JohnSteed Mar 11, 2016

Yeah, if the dial spotting is oil or other type of solution it could be salvageable....if its aging spotting then maybe not treatable...reversible. Just spit balling here

4. abrod520 Mar 11, 2016

I think it's really unbelievable how 3 months ago, a straight-writing -69 was highly desirable and one would never think of using it as a parts watch.... and now, the regular (DON) pre-moon -69 has entirely overtaken it in terms of value and market "desirability"

5. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 11, 2016

More pics of dial.

upload_2016-3-11_21-15-14.png

upload_2016-3-11_21-16-45.png

6. wsfarrell Mar 12, 2016

Some of those spots seem a little more cleanable in the new pics. Got rodico?

7. emilio Mar 12, 2016

I would definately not touch the dial.

These are stains where the matte turned a little glossy.

However when the dial is in the case behind a shiny crystal you won't notice these stains.

Oh and this definately is not a donor watch but a great project :thumbsup:

8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 12, 2016

When I bought this watch, I had no idea on the condition of the original dial. I just knew it was included.

And @emilio is correct, as when I do place the old crystal over the dial, with the naked eye, the only blemish I can really see is the slight scratch on the loom at 5 o'clock.

The hands that were included were painted in the past and are in pretty rough shape. I think I will try and source a used set.

I also think my new goal is to obtain a speedmaster professional from each decade (starting in the 1960s). And after restoring this watch, I will have the 60s, 70s, 90s, 00s, so will need an 80s (will see if I can get one from the year I graduated HS).

upload_2016-3-12_10-2-57.png

gemini4 likes this.
  9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 12, 2016

AAAAND, he's back in the game!

Nice score!

10. ibis888 Mar 12, 2016

Looks like it could be a nice watch. The case looks unpolished too from what can be seem in the picture.

11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 12, 2016

The case does look nice, however, this one came back from Omega last year and they charged $1,155. for the service, which included the new hands and service dial, and possibly the 1171 bracelet. I suspect they did polish the case. Based on your comment I looked more closely at the case, as perhaps the case too could have been replaced, fortunately it is not a new case.

On the underside of the lug, I see the original owner hand engraved the date and some initials. I assume this watch was a gift as the date engraved matches the date of the papers (Dec 5, 1975), But the initials are different. I would have never noticed the engraving had you not mentioned the unpolished case, as the engraving is so very small and not very deep.

There is not possible way I can make this a donor watch. I did place a WTB thread looking for a vintage hand set.

12. grizzlycanuck Mar 13, 2016

Look forward to following this project, great pick up!

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 13, 2016

Well I needed another project watch like I need another hole in my head...just not what I had planned. But given the condition of the dial, and the papers/history, its has to be done :)

The date inscribed is 12-5-75. Date on the papers is the same. I know this is a repeat of above, but I wanted to include the pics.

No inquires at this time on the hand set. I can't bear to put super luminova hands on this one. :(

upload_2016-3-13_10-37-7.png

upload_2016-3-13_10-38-51.png

14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 29, 2016

Got it back today. Watchmaker was able to save the hands, so that is a plus. So overall I am pretty happy with it, but there are two issues on the dial (all other items are lint). One as you can easily see if the scratch paint next to the Omega logo, the other, much less noticeable is the lume at 5 o'clock. The dial was scratched either in transport or by the watchmaker. The watchmaker did offer to fix it, not sure if I should have it repaired.

upload_2016-3-29_14-15-47.png

upload_2016-3-29_14-16-51.png

upload_2016-3-29_14-11-53.png

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 9, 2016

I wanted to update you all on this thread, as I am still looking for direction on how to deal with the dial. At this point, I think I will leave as is, but would be happy to hear any suggestions.

upload_2016-7-9_19-12-27.png

I ended up converting this straight writing to a 35th Appollo as I simply could not get over the scratch on the dial. Just like I could not get over the thickness of the PO XLti, and the sapphire on the Speedyiorite. In addition, I can't see the point of having three black dial Speedmasters. So my plan is to enjoy my collection of speedy watches and then at some point in the future convert it back to a straight writing and sell it to purchase another speedy. Would love to get the CK2998.

upload_2016-7-9_19-7-53.png

16. JohnSteed Jul 9, 2016

I hear ya!!!