Forums Latest Members
  1. cutecloud Aug 26, 2019

Hi everyone,

Long story short for my dad's birthday I want to give him a vintage connie (the first real watch I ever got was his old constellation manhattan), however I myself have little knowledge of vintage watches. I have been studying Desmond's blog and this forum like there's no tomorrow. I've found the following watch in a department store/antique watch store and it looks in really good condition. It comes serviced from a respectable vendor and with one year insurance but at the premium price of roughly 2700 USD (origin Japan). To my novice eyes the dial (MOY), movement (most likely a 505?), medallion, crown, case back etc. all look in good condition, minimal polishing and original to the watch. I understand that the Tridium lumes have been removed and the glass most likely replaced.

I am really curious to hear what some of you experts think of this watch, have any interesting facts about it and or have any advice.

Info so-far: Gold capped cal. 505 Ref 2852 17 SC omega constellation 1957, lumes removed, glass replaced, original dial and movement.

thumbnail_DSC06307.jpg thumbnail_DSC06308.jpg thumbnail_DSC06309.jpg thumbnail_DSC06310.jpg thumbnail_DSC06311.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 27, 2019

3. cutecloud Aug 27, 2019

efauser likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 27, 2019

It's a premium price for a non-premium piece. At that price for a gold cap 2852 the dial has to be near mint and this one is not. And IMO since it is gold cap which is less desirable than either stainless steel or solid gold (at least to collectors) condition becomes even more important.

Mark020 and cutecloud like this.
  5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 27, 2019

Great idea for a gift, and great that you are diving into the research and also checked here first (a step which has worked out well for me too).

Note that an ad for a watch may say that the dial is “original”, but the seller is technically referring to the dial (the metal) being original. The dial (paint/markers) could still be refinished/repainted. I’m not referring to the watch you posted here, specifically.

cutecloud likes this.
  6. cutecloud Aug 27, 2019

MSNWatch, DaveK, thanks for your comments and time. Perhaps I'll have to sit this one out and wait for the next chance to buy a crosshair arrowhead paipan (there's something about this particular design that I find very charming which makes this very tempting for me). Based on this forum I think a more fair price for this piece would perhaps have been around the 1800 USD mark.

This forum has been extremely insightful and very addictive, I am afraid I might have found myself a new hobby....

DaveK likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

Really? Not a "legitimate variation"? I tihnk they're kind of interesting, myself.

Tom

8. JwRosenthal Aug 27, 2019

9. cutecloud Aug 27, 2019

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 27, 2019

No doubt some would prefer gold cap to SS but from what I have observed all things being equal especially originality and condition the SS watch will be more attractive and will sell for more money than the gold cap watch.

BenBagbag likes this.
  11. Kek25 Aug 27, 2019

Not to derail this thread, but I find the gold capped watches (not to be confused with gold plate) present a sophisticated look when comparing apples to apples (i.e. unpolished, gently used examples of gold capped vs the same in ss). I understand perhaps a majority of the members of this forum are collectors, but I think limiting or diminishing the desirability of gold capped cases does a disservice to that variant. Such comments, to me, imply some lesser status to them.

Sidnos and hoipolloi like this.
  12. JwRosenthal Aug 27, 2019

Totally understood. Just keep in mind that the arrowhead are more limited and more desirable (not that the one above is abundant and less desirable) so you may find yourself waiting for some time for the right one and competition will be greater. It all comes down to how long can you wait and how much do you want to spend.

Keep an eye on the classified’s here. They are a great safe place to buy watches as they are member monitored and vetted. Chrono24 and eBay can be a minefield.

DaveK and cutecloud like this.
  13. BenBagbag Aug 27, 2019

I think it's a market demand thing rather than an objective value placed on gold cap. @MSNWatch is making on observation based on his years of watching the market.

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 27, 2019

More for those of us who appreciate them, then!

Tom

15. JwRosenthal Aug 27, 2019

I would much rather have a gold cap than a gold plate- or even a solid gold- I am not a gold fan but the two tone case on these is beautifully excecuted.

16. Kek25 Aug 27, 2019

Understood. I didn't mean any disrespect to the member voicing the opinion. I've seen similar comments on other boards parroted by those without such experience and have not seen a data compillation supporting those opinions. I can see if it is a matter of the gold capping not standing the test of time due to its composition, but it would seem logical to me if that was the case, fine examples of such watches would be sought after by collectors due to scarcity. In my mind there is a difference between not being collectible (or highly sought after) due to poor condition and not being collectible (or highly sought after) regardless of condition.

17. NVWC Aug 28, 2019

There are currently some for sale at the private sales section...u can check it out.

cutecloud likes this.
  18. NVWC Aug 28, 2019

19. NVWC Aug 28, 2019

20. cristos71 Aug 28, 2019

KingCrouchy and cutecloud like this.