Forums Latest Members
  1. Milog Jul 2, 2022

Hi
    Looking for a bit of advice please.
    I bought (my wife did) a constellation with a seamaster case back 10years ago. I sent it off to omega Switzerland this year for service and asked them to put the correct constellation back on it so that it makes a complete unit. Omega have come back and said it's a seamaster back along with a seamaster case but a constellation face and movement. They can replace the face (to seamaster) and although the movement is date correct its not a seamaster movement. Unfortunately they don't have the constellation spares to replace the case and back to make the watch a complete constellation.
    So my question....
    Should I convert it all to seamaster so it looks ok (albeit the movement is wrong) or
    Just have it serviced and see if I can source a constellation case and back to make it a fully complete constellation and sell the seamaster back and case?!

2. Davidt Jul 2, 2022

Do you have pictures?

3. norb1967 Jul 2, 2022

Sounds like it depends on what watch you prefer - Constellation or Seamaster

4. Dan S Jul 2, 2022

I say just leave it as it is. It will never be correct so why spend money on it.

Duracuir1, johnireland and Olhenry56 like this.
  5. johnireland Jul 3, 2022

Keep it like it is, enjoy wearing it...and over time, look for a Constellation case, and a Seamaster movement. Eventually you will have two great watches...not original, but still correct, and well worth the pleasure you will get from them both.

6. Milog Jul 3, 2022

I dont think i do and its in switzerland at the mo. This is what Omega told me of the watch which was quite interesting.
    I've fallen out of love with the watch now as i like things to be correct . so I might sell it as is or in parts and buy another hopefully original one.

The movement 24.500.532 (fitted in your timepiece) was been produced on January 4th, 1965 and was delivered in a steel case Constellation 168.004 to Singapore.

- Someone, between 1965 and now, fitted the actual constellation dial and movement in a Seamaster case.

- The service can be carried out as long as the dial is exchanged with the Seamaster dial (064TT0270001).

We are unable to restore your OMEGA as an Constellation timepiece because the Constellation case is no longer available.

7. johnireland Jul 3, 2022

Selling it as is will get you bottom dollar. You seemed to like it and enjoy it before the "bad" news. As I said, you have the chance to end up with two watches...both of which will be correct but not original. You would probably get better money for either one of those. Or even enjoy the process and become attached to both.

8. Davidt Jul 3, 2022

It’s subjective but the movement carries the individual serial number of the watch is its beating heart. The dial is the most important visual aspect as well as the most valuable (generally).

You could go down the route of trying to restore both elements to end up with a seamaster and constellation but if you don’t have the funds or inclination for that I’d suggest going with the constellation restoration and trying to source a new case. The best way would be to keep searching eBay for a 168.004 with a damaged dial and swap them out.

I’ll caveat this by saying this is only worth doing if the dial is original. If it’s been repainted you’ll simply be throwing good money after bad so pics are needed.

9. Milog Jul 3, 2022

What would the parts be worth if I split them and sold as case back movement and dial?

10. Davidt Jul 3, 2022

You’ll have to do some research on this by searching completed listings on eBay but it is heavily dependent on condition. Is the dial original, is the case sharp or polished, what condition is the movement in.

The answers to these questions will determine whether it’s £100 or £400.

11. Milog Jul 3, 2022

This sounds sensible is eBay main place to look

12. Milog Jul 3, 2022

Movement can be serviced by omega for around £400 rest of the pieces are pretty clean and tidy. I wouldn't know if face has been painted it looks pretty sharp tho

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 3, 2022

If you intend to part it out, don't spend any more money on it, not one penny.
    Anything spent will never be recovered from any of the parts sales.
    Either cut you losses and stop the Omega intervention, or let them go ahead and make a watch that can be lived with.

14. BroMega Jul 3, 2022

Not that I'm a collector as such, more of a wearer if you will, but if I had a watch like that I'd think absolutely nothing of these facts. If it said Constellation but had a Seamaster movement I'd feel a fraudster and a wannabe. In your case it sounds like you have a Constellation that says Constellation but is carried in another case. To me, the movement is the thing so if it looked the way I like a watch to look I'd buy it in a heartbeat and live happily ever after. (and if my wife bought it for me I'd sure as heck keep schtum about the whole business...)

15. Milog Jul 3, 2022

so is a constellation a btter watch thana seamaster?

16. BroMega Jul 3, 2022

I might get covered in rotten tomatoes here by more knowledgeable fellows but as far as I know, in general, yes. The constellation is (often) a chronometer. So in my book, your wife did goooood.

Edited Jul 3, 2022
  17. Davidt Jul 3, 2022

I wouldn’t let Omega service it regardless.

Either sell it as is with an honest description or spend some time trying the source the parts to create a Constellation. I can’t see the benefit of an Omega service as if you sell you won’t recoup the costs and if you’re looking to change the case it’ll need to go back to a watchmaker to swap them out at which point they could service.

Milog and BroMega like this.
  18. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 3, 2022

A photo would have really helped here since a lot of the advice you are getting is guesswork as we don't know the full picture. One thing to bear in mind is that the cost will actually be £400 plus parts (indeed today I think the base service cost is in fact £450). Cases, dials etc are not included in the service cost. You may end up with a much larger bill to make a watch that will never be original since the replacement parts are not identical to the originals. I would cut your losses, either live with it and get it serviced somewhere else that wont insist on parts swaps, or sell it as is. If you continue down the factory service route you are pretty much certain to spend more than the finished piece will be worth, or at least a big chunk of it.

Edited Jul 3, 2022
  19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 3, 2022

My ha’peth, for what it is worth, I think there are two ways of looking at this.

1. recognise that your wife tried to buy you a wonderful present, wear it and smile fondly every time you look at it because it’s not right.

Then, if needs be, buy yourself a correct Constellation or Seamaster ( which ever appeals to you the most)

2. Have Omega replace the Constellation dial with a Seamaster dial so that at least externally the watch looks correct, in the knowledge that it contains a higher quality movt (think slightly better looking brother) than the original it should have.

Then follow step 2 of option 1.

My advice
    Option 1
    It was a gift from your wife !
    ( and given she bought it as a Constellation, I dread to think how much (£) you would have in the watch if you have Omega service it and replace the dial)

20. Milog Jul 3, 2022

about £600