Constellation ID and Service Advice Please

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and have already learnt so much from reading the threads so thanks in advance.

I was recently given this watch by my Grandfather and I was looking for some help identifying it as well as some advice on where to have it serviced.

What watch is it?
I believe my Grandfather bought it in Jeddah on the Red Sea in the late 50's or early 60's. It was his everyday watch for the next 35+ years so holds a lot of sentimental value to me. I have not opened the case yet so don't know the model or movement but have tried to find it online through google searches of what I know (which isn't much). The closest one I found similar to it was this Omega Constellation Pie-Pan Deluxe Cal.505 18ct Pink Gold 1956 | Vintage Gold Watches. I have struggled to find any other watches that look similar as most others have the words "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED" and "SWISS MADE" printed on the face (which mine does not). Based on the weight of the watch I believe the case is gold. Is anyone able to confirm any of this or tell me any more details about this watch? Note, I realise that all will be revealed when I take it in for service and the back is removed but still curious to find out more before then.

Where to get it serviced and what to have done?
The watch is currently working, however, my grandfather believes there is something wrong with the winding mechanism (not sure what) and it hasn't been worn regularly for 5-10 years so I think it is in need of at least a good service. Looking for recommendations on watchmakers in Australia (Brisbane if possible) that would good to take it to. The Omega website listed Gemcraft Australia Pty Ltd (55 Doggett St, Newstead, Brisbane) as an approved service center. However, I haven't seen them mentioned or recommended by any of the members on this forum in other threads. Has anyone used them and have any feedback? Or can anyone recommend a different watchmaker in Brisbane? Turn around time isn't an issue for me (I plan to keep this watch for many years so not fussed about waiting a few more months if it means I get a better service). This is my first vintage watch and I still have lots to learn. With that in mind I was hoping to find a watchmaker that could provide advice on what to do and not to do with the service for a vintage watch like this where I want to keep as much of the watch original as possible whilst also maximising its value (note, when I took it to the Omega boutique they wanted to replace the dial due to the discoloration). I have read in a number of threads that polishing the case rounds the edges and detracts from the watch. However, I have also read that is it common practice? Will I need to specify exactly what gets done during the service or will a good watchmaker know what is best?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1892 copy.JPG IMG_1927 copy.JPG IMG_1940 copy.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG IMG_1926.JPG

Like 2
Welcome @leoallen01

What a great gift from your grandfather.

The hallmarks on the lugs tell you your watch is solid gold as does the brickwork observatory on the case back.
The dial has been refinished which is why you can’t find a match - the easy tell is the straight Ns in Constellation which didn’t appear for over a decade after your watch was made.
Redialling was very common at service if there was any sign of damage to the dial.

There is a very recent thread about watchmakers in Australia - and yes you will have to be very specific about what you do and don’t require.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/australian-watchmaker-needed.98806/#post-2319266

Like 3
Welcome @leoallen01

What a great gift from your grandfather.

The hallmarks on the lugs tell you your watch is solid gold as does the brickwork observatory on the case back.
The dial has been refinished which is why you can’t find a match - the easy tell is the straight Ns in Constellation which didn’t appear for over a decade after your watch was made.
Redialling was very common at service if there was any sign of damage to the dial.

There is a very recent thread about watchmakers in Australia - and yes you will have to be very specific about what you do and don’t require.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/australian-watchmaker-needed.98806/#post-2319266

Thank you! Really appreciate the information. I did have a look at that Australian Watchmakers thread but the posts regarding Brisbane based watchmakers were all from 2019 and forecast the watchmaker to retire by 2021 so wasn't sure if they would still be in business. I will have another read through that thread though.

Thanks again!

Like 1
There are many Australian members on the forum. As you figure out who they are, a PM might be warranted to ask politely and discreetly for a watchmaker recommendation. Not every watchmaker would appreciate having their name and contact information broadcast on a publicly searchable forum.

Like 1