Forums Latest Members
  1. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

Hello all. I recently joined the forum. I have a collection of pocket watches and started dabbling in wrist watches last year. As far as the wristwatches go, I'm not real fond of the aged patina look, because I tend to wear the watches out and prefer they don’t look worn. Because of this, I generally buy wristwatches with gold content and basically set my price limit on the gold value. That practice allows me to hedge against the reduced value refurbished dials might have on a given watch.

I recently purchased a calibre 504 Constellation dome dial in a gold capped case. The movement is in very good shape. The dial is black and likely a redial from what I’ve read so far about black dial Constellations. Serial number is 16521305 and case number is 2943 2 SC.

I’ve read the Constellation blog dial material which is very informative. Just trying to determine whether the case, crown, and movement are correct. Crystal has the Omega symbol and the gold clover crown has the Omega symbol. Observatory/stars are good based on other examples I’ve seen.

I’ve read about case reference numbers but haven’t been able to find a resource for identifying them and what they disclose about authenticity. Would someone kindly explain that?

Thanks.

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

Pictures are preferred.

The case number is the identifier for the watch. It identifies most things except, sometimes, variations in dials and hands.

You can also consider it part of the model number for vintage Omega watches. For example, your case number, 2943, in combination with a metals code, identified the watch and type of case, for example, a CK 2943 is all stainless steel.

Tom

3. cristos71 Aug 17, 2019

A calibre 504 is correct for a 2943 reference. AFAIK the 504 is only used in Constellation Calender references, so I'd wager your movement is original to the case. As for the rest of it, pictures are needed before anything else can be said.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  4. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

Thanks for the replies. I'll take some photos and post them.

The case number doesn't have any letters in front of it.

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

I'm sorry for the confusion. The catalog number has the letters, they don't appear in the caseback.

Tom

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

7. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 17, 2019

That's one off the small variations that make us scratch our heads. :)

Tom

9. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

My watch has chronometer spelled with "re" at the end, which I understand is one of the variants consistent with the 1957-1958 time period the watch was made. However, I'm pretty sure it is a redial.

10. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

Here are some photos of the watch.

OMEGA 1.jpg OMEGA 2.jpg OMEGA 3.jpg OMEGA 4.jpg OMEGA 5.jpg

OMEGA 6.jpg
  11. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

A couple more photos. I tried to capture the Omega logo on the crystal in the second photo.

OMEGA 7.jpg OMEGA 8.jpg

Edited Aug 17, 2019
  12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 17, 2019

Redial for sure. Strap and buckle don’t look original as well.

watchyouwant likes this.
  13. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

I thought the strap and logo looked kind of clunky.

14. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

Here are a few of the movement and inside case back. 20190817_110920.jpg 20190817_110918.jpg 20190817_110803.jpg

Edited Aug 17, 2019
  15. Kek25 Aug 17, 2019

The movement parts are all the same color. Photos contain some light distortion.

16. Kek25 Aug 18, 2019

Located a stamp on the inside of the buckle “ACIENOX” with a box containing the Omega logo and the word “SWISS” beneath the box. Likely an authentic strap and buckle but not original to the watch given it’s obvious like new appearance.

As far as the dial, I see no glue or solder marks around the hour markers or applied Omega and logo. Interestingly, from what I’ve read, the date surround on the older Omegas such as this had rounded corners and raised convex edges lined up with the curve in the dial consistent with the date surround on this watch. The calendar numerals appear consistent with examples I’ve found from the era. The word “CONSTELLATION” appears to have the correct serifs and font that I’ve seen on watches from this era. The star, however, although dimensional (raised from the dial) does not have bevels seen on other examples, and I’ve heard this referred to as hand made. And the words SWISS MADE are on opposite sides of the 6 hour marker as opposed to below it. And , of course the color/surface of the dial is not what one would expect from this vintage watch. Any way to tell by appearance whether the dial is an original refurbished dial or a replacement dial?

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 18, 2019

I’m sorry, I do not believe the strap or buckle to be authentic.

Tom

18. cristos71 Aug 18, 2019

By looking at the back of the dial, if the original dial then there would be some marks consistent of Omega dials from this era. But it doesn't matter one way or the other really, a redial remains a redial and no-one cares whether it is on the original dial metal or a new blank.

19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 18, 2019

For comparison - the same model also gold capped that was hardly worn:

[​IMG]

20. Kek25 Aug 18, 2019

Thanks for your input, Tom. I'll take your opinion over mine on the band/buckle. Now I can go out and get one I really like.

Christos, thank you for your response concerning no distinction between refurbished and replacement. That's good to know.

MSN. Beautiful watch. Excellent example/learning tool for comparison to mine. I would be afraid to frequently wear such a pristine vintage example, which is why I chose the method described in my first post when purchasing vintage wristwatches. I have a safe deposit box full of pristine vintage pocket watches that I visit every few months or so. I didn't want to go that route with the vintage
    wristwatches. I enjoy wearing them too much and have been known to knock my arm on the corner of a wall on more than frequent occasions. May I ask what the value of such an example might be? I paid a couple hundred dollars for mine knowing it was a redial. From my research, it seems examples like yours are very rare.

I enjoy buying the watches first then doing the research to learn about them. It's a great pastime albeit unorthodox. But I make sure I'm into them right so as not to make a significant financial mistake.

A couple of my favorite wristwatches include a Rado Manhattan in a ss case (not gold but a cool watch), a Longines 25 jewel 994 automatic in 10k rolled gold and a Longines 9LT flareback in 14k gold.

Thank you to everyone for your informative responses.