Forums Latest Members

Considering Constellation 167.005 cal 551 ca 1962/3 please advise.

1. Zdzislaw Sep 2, 2019

Hello there, considering second Constellation.

1. Serial, reference, case and movement adds up.
    2. Crystal original and signed, but worn. I am skeptical, if it will be in good enough shape for daily use? Can it be replaced or polished?
    upload_2019-9-2_23-4-2.jpeg
    3. Caseback looks fine, but someone without proper tools tried to open it - visible scratches. BTW can you recommend some basic toolkit to open caseback like that? ;)
    upload_2019-9-2_23-4-26.jpeg upload_2019-9-2_23-7-4.png
    4. Case in good enough shape. I think it was polished, but the question is, was it over polished in your opinion?
    5. Dial looks original and in overall I do like it’s honesty. What percentage of the MOY part is damaged and what part is due to the scratched crystal?
    upload_2019-9-2_23-4-2.jpeg
    6. Crown looks original.
    upload_2019-9-2_23-7-37.jpeg
    7. Movement looks original and healthy. Too optimistic about that?
    upload_2019-9-2_23-8-31.png upload_2019-9-2_23-9-40.png upload_2019-9-2_23-10-9.png upload_2019-9-2_23-10-34.png upload_2019-9-2_23-11-5.png

As always any advice much appreciated. ;) Including market value - I have number in my head, but don’t want to influence your judgement. ;)

upload_2019-9-2_23-6-35.jpeg
  2. Zdzislaw Sep 2, 2019

Just found another one... Does not look redialed. Your opinion based on the single photo in comparison to the first piece? ;)
    upload_2019-9-2_23-47-51.png

Edited Sep 2, 2019
  3. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Please advise - thank you in advance.

4. apsm100 applysome! Sep 3, 2019

From one noob to another: My best advice is to slow down and focus on one reference. Find an example that is in mint condition (like the ones owned by OF members) and use it as a guide and spend months, not days, waiting and looking for the right one for yourself.

JwRosenthal and Passover like this.
  5. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thank you for reply. Being honest I have written “considering” and looking for advise, not buying. I have already seen and analyzed mint condition pieces and those in this case are rare. That’s why I am looking for second opinion from more knowledgeable OF forums members. Will not be focusing on one model. That being said, if you have any insight to share regarding this piece it will be much appreciated.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 3, 2019

Hi @Zdzislaw
    First one has a quite well-polished case with the lugs losing their definition.
    Spotting on the dial.
    Early signs of rotor rub. (On movement)
    Damaged replacement crown.

Second one - case looks better but the single fuzzy pic isn’t good enough to give an accurate opinion.
    Hope that helps.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 3, 2019

You do not need a case back wrench. There is nothing in there except pain and misery. Leave it to the professionals.

Tom

kkt and Sidnos like this.
  8. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thanks for prompt reply. ;) More photos of the second piece below and again any feedback appreciated - especially price range.
    upload_2019-9-3_14-39-12.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-3_14-33-50.jpeg upload_2019-9-3_14-35-14.jpeg upload_2019-9-3_14-35-38.jpeg upload_2019-9-3_14-36-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-3_14-36-28.png upload_2019-9-3_14-37-3.png upload_2019-9-3_14-37-27.jpeg upload_2019-9-3_14-37-52.png upload_2019-9-3_14-38-12.jpeg

9. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thanks for feedback. I was looking at watch maker opening 168.029 case and it did not look challenging. I am asking from the perspective, if I would like to sell one of the pieces in the future and not being able to open it for the photos of movement and caseback reverse. It simply wouldn’t make sense to me neither to not include those photos nor going to the watch maker just to open it. As per majority of the private sales statements “service history unknown and service recommended” is honest statement, which does not require watch maker. I am leaving working with the movement itself to the pros. ;)

Edited Sep 3, 2019
  10. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 3, 2019

You can't prevent things from falling inside. You can't prevent possibly cross-threading the case back.

Keep this in mind.

Tom

Zdzislaw likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 3, 2019

Some great images of the lace doily.......:rolleyes:

case doesn't look too bad (gold cap is never as sharp as gold or SS) but has seen some polishing -most likely with use.
    medallion looks quite good
    movt looks okay but again is showing signs of rotor rub on the movement - that is probably the original case gasket and it is in a bad way

such as bits of that gasket....

would need a decent image of the dial to comment properly but from what you can see from the wrist shot it doesn't look too bad at all.

you tell us how much the asking is and we'll tell you if it is reasonable.

kkt and Zdzislaw like this.
  12. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thank you for prompt reply and the warning. I do not want to be ignorant and I was looking for some watch maker courses that I can attend in person, but those are being organized on the annual basis and I have missed the last one. That being said can you recommend some materials, some book perhaps that would cover the basics? I assume that watch maker professionals need a lot of experience to work with sophisticated movements like the ones from Omega and I am not aspiring to be watch maker, but trying to cover the basics to be well equipped to take good care of my Constellation and any other additions to the collection. Any feedback appreciated.

Edited Sep 3, 2019
  13. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thank you very much. Currently asking price is 1200 USD, but I don’t think he will be able to sell it and I hope seller is opened to negotiations. Based on the pieces that I saw in much better condition I would say that reasonable price would be something like 700-900 USD, but looking forward to know your opinions. Thank you in advance.

14. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 3, 2019

1. Don't wind past the resistance point (does not apply to an automatic).
    2. Do not drop.
    3. Do not change the time between 9pm and 1am (roughly) on calendar watches.
    4. Do not use harsh chemicals to clean the outside. Do not polish gold until you're shown how by your watchmaker.
    5. Do not immerse unless your watchmaker says it's safe to do so.
    6. Do be gentle when manipulating the crown, small parts can break easily.
    7. Keep away from magnets, including the ones in your iDevices. Perhaps especially.
    8. When in doubt... DON'T! Cultivate a relationship with a watchmaker and do what she says.

If you aspire to anything more than this, then do by all means take classes. You don't need any tools to care for your watches beyond a damp cloth or perhaps a strap-changing tool. Even then, have a watchmaker show you how to change straps to keep you from damaging the watch case or the tool.

Some of us polish our plastic crystals when they get damaged. Your watchmaker will advise how.

Tom

annafinland and Zdzislaw like this.
  15. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thank you very much for your time, patience and practical advices. Maybe something that should be posted as sticky thread? For me for sure something to start with and build on. Once again thank you very much - exactly the answer I was looking for.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 3, 2019

Well, breaking it down.
    It’s gold cap and a dome dial, so less desirable to some.
    It’s slightly worn and in need of a service (I wouldn’t even run the watch after having exposed the movt to that gasket)
    Allowing $300 for a service and deducting a sum for the wear, assuming the dial is ok, then your $700 wouldn’t be an unreasonable offer.

Zdzislaw likes this.
  17. Zdzislaw Sep 3, 2019

Thank you very much. Offer made and we will see. :) PS. For the benchmarking purposes 1st piece reached 350 USD and 2 days to go. Just based on the gut feeling - it will be close to 500 USD and it will be bought by watchmaker, redialed and back in the market in no time with the description - “perfect condition, ..., the dial has been professionally restored”. Asking 1250 USD. Time will show ... ;)

18. Zdzislaw Sep 6, 2019

More photos in higher resolution below. Final offer I am ready to make is 850 USD. Please sense check me, if I am not willing to overpay simply because I like this piece. Thank you in advance.
    IMG_3651.jpeg IMG_3653.jpeg IMG_3655.jpeg DSCN0354.JPG DSCN0353.JPG

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 6, 2019

Has the seller an aversion to straight on dial shots?
    From what is shown:
    Case is as expected, perhaps a little more worn on some lugs than others.
    Bezel looks quite good.
    Dial (from the oblique pics) looks correct.
    Looks like original crown and crystal.
    Just noticed from the previous pics , there is a scratch across the back and medallion - did they provide a better case back image?

I think with a bit of patience you could find a better condition gold cap dome dial dogleg for $850 (but when I think about it, there seems to be fewer GC doglegs appear on the forum than SS or gold) so if you really like the watch then it’s up to you if you want to put your money down.

20. Zdzislaw Sep 7, 2019

Thank you very much - much appreciated. I think he believed that, if I am asking for high-res photos and I have concerns around case he will do only the case... The communication with this seller is challenging. He was offended with the previous offer strongly believing that his watch is worth 1500 USD and selling it for 1250 USD is act of great generosity on his side. I am less convinced today. Exercising more patience as wisely advised and asking more photos before making the next offer. ;)