Omega Constellation 167.005 Cal. 551: Original or Redial?

Posts
312
Likes
966
Hello everyone,
From two days I m talking with the owner of the watch (that bought it 3 months ago, and is selling now) about a supposed redial.

Ref 167.005-6
Cal 551

He, the seller and his watchmaker assumed that is original and unique piece.
For me is not sure, it seems a fantasy dial for this ref (no one example on the bay)
The fonts , the Swiss made logo and also the other signs look strange to me.

Could u help me to understand better?

Many thanks

 
Posts
24,796
Likes
55,077
Apart from the typeface, the minute markers seem to wobble near and far from the outer ring, which would be a clear indication of refinishing.
 
Posts
432
Likes
1,041
The space between Officially Certified looks a mile wide
 
Posts
312
Likes
966
Thanks u guys for the fast replies.
Did u see the same dial texture on another constellation?
 
Posts
6,762
Likes
10,418
Reference 167.005 - with lyre lugs?
Unless the pics are really distorting the text - it is a redial - and I can’t remember a Constellation failing the MOY test by such a wide margin.

I can’t recall seeing this particular texture on a Constellation but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
 
Posts
6,676
Likes
11,620
Other members will chime in regarding the dial particulars. I will say this though whenever you have a clean looking especially "unique" dial that is claimed to be original, look at the case. The case in this example is in poor shape. From my experience a case in this kind of condition will either have an original dial in equally poor shape or will have a refinished dial. This is a good rule of thumb that has seldom let me down.
 
Posts
312
Likes
966
Other members will chime in regarding the dial particulars. I will say this though whenever you have a clean looking especially "unique" dial that is claimed to be original, look at the case. The case in this example is in poor shape. From my experience a case in this kind of condition will either have an original dial in equally poor shape or will have a refinished dial. This is a good rule of thumb that has seldom let me down.
Indeed, thank u for your opinion. It will be not easy to convince a know-it-all watchmaker 😁 I’m collecting every detail that u found and do a report with (I hope) better pics