Considering a 3570.50 Speedmaster

I am new to vintage Speedmasters and have been trying to do as much reading as I possibly can, but lacking years of experience. Considering an older Speedmaster, but finances also limit choices. I have seen for example on eBay with 1861 of what appears to me to be a possibility of one from 2007… the version before the one that came with the big box and accessories. I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts and advice if I am looking at the right ones for the right sort of money? This one is on at £3650.
Any tips really appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256629889084

IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0291.jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg IMG_0286.jpeg

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
At that budget, you can also get in to the 3590.50 model Speedmaster (early 90s to late 90s) with tritium lume (which ages to a beautiful yellow vintage look) and the 1479 bracelet which many people prefer. I personally very much prefer the look of the yellowed tritium lume.

Condition should be the number one priority though, not hard to find a 3590.50 or a 3570.50 in excellent condition. The one you posted included.

You start by suggesting that you are interested in a "vintage" Speedmaster, and this is the vintage section of OF. I don't see any obvious problems with the watch you posted, but it is absolutely not vintage in any sense. Just a pre-owned modern Speedmaster.

This might seem like semantics to you, but you may want to consider what led you to mention that you were interested in a vintage watch. Is it the history, collectibility, appearance?

Or maybe you don't really want a vintage watch, and you are just looking for a pre-owned watch to save money compared to a new one?

At that budget, you can also get in to the 3590.50 model Speedmaster (early 90s to late 90s) with tritium lume (which ages to a beautiful yellow vintage look) and the 1479 bracelet which many people prefer. I personally very much prefer the look of the yellowed tritium lume.

Condition should be the number one priority though, not hard to find a 3590.50 or a 3570.50 in excellent condition. The one you posted included.

Thank you, your advice very much appreciated. I will now widen my search to include your suggestions. The advice about the bracelet is also really helpful, so again thank you

You start by suggesting that you are interested in a "vintage" Speedmaster, and this is the vintage section of OF. I don't see any obvious problems with the watch you posted, but it is absolutely not vintage in any sense. Just a pre-owned modern Speedmaster.

This might seem like semantics to you, but you may want to consider what led you to mention that you were interested in a vintage watch. Is it the history, collectibility, appearance?

Or maybe you don't really want a vintage watch, and you are just looking for a pre-owned watch to save money compared to a new one?
Apologies, I am very new to this wonderful hobby of starting to collect watches. Ooops, as 2007 to me felt vintage. I very much enjoy learning about a watch and its beginnings and then its journey through time. I am very very new to this and also financial budget is limited. I am really grateful for advice from those with so much valuable experience that can only come with the years. Thank you for posting back, it is very much appreciated. I have much to learn

I like the 3570.50, I feel the solid back is classic looking and probably more durable. I also prefer the plexi crystal.

Jeez Dan, "vintage" to half the planet is anything from last year.
My Grandson saw a vintage watch and asked my opinion, it was Bond Seamaster from 1995.

😉

I like the 3570.50, I feel the solid back is classic looking and probably more durable. I also prefer the plexi crystal.
I am in complete agreement with you. Thank you for your thoughts on this one, it is very much appreciated

Oh God Im old! 2007 is like yesterday to me 😀

Best tip: £2500-3000 may get you a decent Seamaster, hell Chrono24 UK has quartz Seamasters from £700.

Oh God Im old! 2007 is like yesterday to me 😀

Best tip: £2500-3000 may get you a decent Seamaster, hell Chrono24 UK has quartz Seamasters from £700.
Thank you for those excellent tips… but more importantly for making me smile about you and 2007 😀

Jeez Dan, "vintage" to half the planet is anything from last year.
My Grandson saw a vintage watch and asked my opinion, it was Bond Seamaster from 1995.

😉
I get it, I understand that "vintage" isn't well-defined, although I'd guess that most of us would reserve the term for a watch from the 80s or earlier (or maybe 70s). Some people say 40 years. But at least a watch from 1995 with tritium lume might look a bit vintage, and it's almost 30 years old, so your grandson isn't wildly off base.

But a Speedmaster from 2007? That's just a pre-owned modern watch, and I'll double down on that. ::stirthepot::

I get it, I understand that "vintage" isn't well-defined, although I'd guess that most of us would reserve the term for a watch from the 80s or earlier (or maybe 70s). Some people say 40 years. But at least a watch from 1995 with tritium lume might look a bit vintage, and it's almost 30 years old, so your grandson isn't wildly off base.

But a Speedmaster from 2007? That's just a pre-owned modern watch, and I'll double down on that. ::stirthepot::
You are of course absolutely right about 2007. Apologies 🤭 oops moment

Anyway, I think you answered the question, you're not really looking for a vintage watch. In which case the OP watch looks absolutely fine to me. Price will depend on location, the details of condition, private seller vs retail store vs dealer, whether it has been serviced (anything older than about 10 years will be due for a service, which isn't cheap), whether it comes with a warranty, etc. There's no right or wrong, just individual preference.

Anyway, I think you answered the question, you're not really looking for a vintage watch. In which case the OP watch looks absolutely fine to me. Price will depend on location, the details of condition, private seller vs retail store vs dealer, whether it has been serviced (anything older than about 10 years will be due for a service, which isn't cheap), whether it comes with a warranty, etc. There's no right or wrong, just individual preference.
Thank you, your advice is very much appreciated. I’m very new to this. I genuinely didn’t think of a 2007 Speedmaster as being modern. I have a lot to learn…

Thank you, your advice is very much appreciated. I’m very new to this. I genuinely didn’t think of a 2007 Speedmaster as being modern. I have a lot to learn…
A fair point and Dan may have been a little curt but they have been making these since 1957 so 2007 is virtually yesterday!

Others mentioned this, but to the extent possible I would look for a watch that was recently serviced by Omega itself or a very reputable service company near you. You mentioned the budget and this being one of your first experiences with a mechanical watch. At some point they all need to be serviced, and the service can get expensive. I think all of us want you to have a great experience and enjoy your new watch. On the very off chance it requires a service not long after you receive it, it will definitely help respect your budget if it is still under a service warranty from Omega.

A fair point and Dan may have been a little curt but they have been making these since 1957 so 2007 is virtually yesterday!
Thank you, your post is much appreciated in softening a genuine mistake on my part

Others mentioned this, but to the extent possible I would look for a watch that was recently serviced by Omega itself or a very reputable service company near you. You mentioned the budget and this being one of your first experiences with a mechanical watch. At some point they all need to be serviced, and the service can get expensive. I think all of us want you to have a great experience and enjoy your new watch. On the very off chance it requires a service not long after you receive it, it will definitely help respect your budget if it is still under a service warranty from Omega.
Thank you for your post, I am learning so much. I think your words are very wise indeed. I think I have found a much cared for full set Speedmaster that has also been very recently serviced by Omega with all documentation and from a seller I have been chatting to, who appears to be genuine and completely trustworthy. Thank you again for your advice and for sharing those pearls of wisdom

Sounds like you’ve found your watch! Congrats and please post photos when you have it.

I am new to vintage Speedmasters and have been trying to do as much reading as I possibly can, but lacking years of experience. Considering an older Speedmaster, but finances also limit choices. I have seen for example on eBay with 1861 of what appears to me to be a possibility of one from 2007… the version before the one that came with the big box and accessories. I would appreciate anyone’s thoughts and advice if I am looking at the right ones for the right sort of money? This one is on at £3650.
Any tips really appreciated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256629889084

IMG_0285.jpeg IMG_0291.jpeg IMG_0289.jpeg IMG_0286.jpeg
The 3570.50 might not be vintage by definition but it's a great watch w/a solid movement and one you can wear with a variety of straps to bring more versatile looks. I have enjoyed mine for several years w/o any issues.

Here's mine on an Omega Racing & deployant
1727378156586.jpeg View attachment 2306294

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.