Forums Latest Members

Configuration of star placement in Tri-Compax “no face” moon phase dials

1. southtexas Nov 19, 2018

I start this thread as a nod to our obsessive-compulsive, detail-driven hobby.

Has anyone noticed the different variants to the no-face moon phase dial, specifically the alignment of the stars next to the moons?

I had a Tri-compax once that had a “damaged” no-face moon phase dial. Not sure if it could be cleaned, I went on the hunt to find a period-correct, factory replacement part. Much to my surprise, after studying countless examples of the no face moon phase in other Tri-Compax watches manufactured over the later run of TC (it seems at least through the 40s-some 50’s, the face moon phase was used) and being sold by bonafide sellers as period “factory original” offerings, I began to notice a difference in the star placements in no face moonphase dials. The two varying star alignments seemed to appear without consistency throughout the models.

I couldn’t find any discussion on this phenomenon, nor could I find any info that definitively stated which moon phase star alignment is period/factory “correct”, so I thought the topic would make a fun discussion here.

Surely one particular star arrangement is the correct one...or maybe they’re simply interchangeable? I’ll share my thoughts after hearing from y’all.

See below to the two different arrangements on three different dials:

02CB4898-0B55-47E4-8380-FF12EDA8ACAC.jpeg

Edited Nov 19, 2018
    bgrisso and Vitezi like this.
  2. bgrisso Nov 19, 2018

southtexas likes this.
  3. southtexas Nov 19, 2018

I should’ve been more specific...this is a variation found in the “no face” moonphase dial. I’ve edited my original post to be more clear on this matter. Once I’d satisfied myself that the no face moonphase was correct to the 60s, I only focused on those.

Edited Nov 19, 2018
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 20, 2018

No face started in the late 40s as I recall ...

5. rolokr Nov 27, 2018

I think only 1960s have no face on the moon ?
    Clapton and the other round pusher Tri-Compax with plain bezel and twisted lugs ? All my 1940's and 1950's all have faces !