Concerning water damage…or simple, benign oxidation?

No obvious pitting that I can see. What does the dial look like? If there was water intrusion, unless it was a tiny amount, you would likely see at least some discoloration or flaking around the edge of the dial. For the moment, I'm going with oxidation.

No obvious pitting that I can see. What does the dial look like? If there was water intrusion, unless it was a tiny amount, you would likely see at least some discoloration or flaking around the edge of the dial. For the moment, I'm going with oxidation.

Almost looks like thumbs prints, no?

Almost looks like thumbs prints, no?
Now that you mention it, yes. And damn if Rolex doesn’t make some of the most nondescript and unattractive movements on the planet - and charges out the wazoo for them.

Looks like one of the little screws holding the rotor on may be missing. If that discoloration on the rotor is the entire issue, I wouldn't worry too much.

I vote “goo”. Dry goo.

No screw missing; it looks like it’s supposed to.

Looks like one of the little screws holding the rotor on may be missing. If that discoloration on the rotor is the entire issue, I wouldn't worry too much.

I vote “goo”. Dry goo.

No screw missing; it looks like it’s supposed to.

I vote screw missing.

RRSM.png

and fingerprint caused surface corrosion/gunk.

PS: I withdraw my vote. After looking around it appears that this is a feature of early Rolex auto calibers, although I did see one example with both screws (one looking decidedly dodgy).
Edited:

I vote screw missing.

RRSM.png

I expect the head sheared off, and the screw thread is lodged inside. Could get lucky though, maybe 'Old Fingerprints" just left it out.

Alas, I can’t speak to the functionality of the bit without the screw, but they are all like that and it’s correct. Looks a little dirty in the OP’s example, though. Consistent with the rest of the movement. ;)

Yep. Here’s one posted today on TRF. Saved me a trip to the watch box.

7B7A9423-3A6B-4948-AA06-37A3CA0AD2BA.jpeg

Yep. Here’s one posted today on TRF. Saved me a trip to the watch box.

7B7A9423-3A6B-4948-AA06-37A3CA0AD2BA.jpeg

I'd be interested in the reasoning behind the one screw/two holes setup. An adjustment/alignment function?

and here's one with TWO screws, so they do exist ;).

Definitely looks like the butcher has been at work.

"Duh! There's an empty hole, I musta lost the screw. I know, I'll find another one!"

73493_3.jpg

I'd be interested in the reasoning behind the one screw/two holes setup. An adjustment/alignment function?

It's related to how everything lines up when installing the screw that hold the rotor on, and giving you the most options. The small screw is a locking screw of sorts...

Cal. 645:

I didn't have a good photo of just the rotor, but here's one I found that shows the set-up:

This should tell you everything you need to know...

Al, I gave you a like, but also wanted to post a thank you. I have wondered about that for quite a while; never got around to asking (my bad).

I remember a very long time back when I opened the first one I had bought and saw the “2 ruby jewels” engraving….I needed a few minutes to calm down. Live and learn. :)

It's related to how everything lines up when installing the screw that hold the rotor on, and giving you the most options. The small screw is a locking screw of sorts...

That is incredibly helpful. :thumbsup: