Forums Latest Members

Column Wheel with Vertical Clutch Question

1. MRTMan Mar 8, 2017

Hi Guys,

I've been doing some research to see if there are any disadvantages of using my chrono function as a second timezone while traveling. This is pretty convenient as the hour/ minute recorders are on the same sub-dial and form a small clock on my Speedmaster.

My speedmaster (Moonphase/ 304.33.44.52.01.001) uses a column wheel with a vertical clutch. My understanding is that for this reason no additional stress is place on the movement or additional power reserve consumed. I just don't understand why this is so... could anyone shed light on this? Or perhaps debunk my research all together.

Thanks guys and what a fantastic resource of information this forum is:)

2. M'Bob Mar 8, 2017

We have a number of really talented watchmakers here, and they will give a much more complete answer than I. But when you talk about stress on the movement, I'm not sure what you mean. All functions cause part wear, but not much if well-serviced. Is "wear stress" the kind of stress you are referring to? Or potential part breakage maybe? Can't see that happening too readily with normal use either.

3. alohatime Mar 8, 2017

MRTMan likes this.
  4. WatchWarlock Mar 8, 2017

I believe you may be correct...if my memory serves me right. Think Tim at WUW has mentioned this several times in his weekly videos. My advice would be wear a GMT :)

5. MRTMan Mar 9, 2017

Thanks alohatime, what a fascinating read. I appreciate you digging this up for me.

From my understanding there is some friction when the chronograph is stopped. Which is then eliminated when the chronograph is started. Though this does create additional load by allowing the whole assembly to turn.

My take away is that running my chronograph while I'm away for a few weeks will have no ill effect. If I was to run it full time, perhaps some parts may wear faster but nothing major. Though obviously not recommended for older movements where parts are difficult to source.

More so wear stress, such as shorter service intervals. :) Though I feel a few weeks while I'm overseas this isn't really a big deal.

WatchWarlock, I just need to find more excuses to go overseas so I can buy a GMT!

Foo2rama likes this.