Forums Latest Members

Collection temporarily unavailable

1. Walrus Dec 31, 2020

image.jpg Have you ever lost access to your watches despite being home and they are there you just can’t get at them. I have a weird thing going on this week. My wife is on vacation and hired some people to do some work around the house. Now occasionally she needs to check in with work remotely so she can’t watch these workers all the time. Despite my watch collection not being highly valuable compared to much of what I see here I do have a couple decent things so she has taken to hiding my collection while the workers are around. Problem is she neglects to tell me where it is.

I was up at 5:50a to get ready for work I asked her where my watch box was but she was sleeping so all she did was lift her hand and point in a general direction. I followed the trail but to no avail. Not only does she hide it but she moves it daily, I guess to confuse the would be thief’s so I’m at a complete loss. So it’s been a seiko alpanist all week for me which isn’t a bad thing but I would have liked to wear an omega today. I guess I should add a picture of my alpanist for good measure. Happy New year by the way

kaplan, Wivac, Rudi99 and 18 others like this.
  2. janice&fred Dec 31, 2020

They are on my kitchen table. I guess she also neglected to tell you where that extra $75 in the checking account came from :D

3. Walrus Dec 31, 2020

Damn you

amcclell and Spruce like this.
  4. Omegafanman Dec 31, 2020

Careful you don't forget where or they get thrown out by accident... There is a reason people find buried roman gold and hoards of Viking coins …or vintage watches in the attic... Mrs V putting things in a special for 'safe' keeping.... Even squirrels forget where their nuts are on occasion!!!

Nuts .jpg
    Edited Dec 31, 2020
    Walrus and Nobel Prize like this.
  5. RonJ Dec 31, 2020

Check your sock drawer.

I think experts say this is the most popular place to hide jewelry and other valuables.

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 31, 2020

I do love that Alpinist though :cool:

Walrus likes this.
  7. janice&fred Dec 31, 2020

Yea I would have gotten that one for an extra $10 but he was wearing it at the time.

DaveK and Walrus like this.
  8. Walrus Dec 31, 2020

Ha, a little off topic but when I got my fingers crushed at my old job the hospital had to cut off my wedding ring as my fingers blew up and the ring couldn’t be slid off. Anyway I brought the ring home and put it in a draw I told my wife I should be able to put it back on in a year or so. A year and two surgeries later I went to get my ring from the draw and have the jeweler repair it. Couldn’t find it. My wife said “oh it wasn’t safe there I moved it.” Well she moved it alright but she still can’t find it.

kkt, Wuza72, Om3ga321 and 4 others like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 31, 2020

Could have come like this

10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 31, 2020

@Walrus has to sleep at some point...

Spruce, janice&fred and Walrus like this.
  11. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 31, 2020

Hide her stuff for safekeeping and when she asked where you put it just say.

“Oh, honey, don’t worry, I hid your stuff in the same place as my watches so they’re all safe together”

then it’s just a matter of minutes...

12. Omegafanman Dec 31, 2020

I had a signet ring given to me by my father as a teen. On my happy and very drunken wedding day I took it off at some point while I got my 'wedding band'. It was a hectic day / night (as those occasions often are) and I could not find my old signet ring in the morning. I saw it as a sign of moving on in life. Many many years later while clearing out the loft and my old wedding suit I found it slipped inside the lining of my suit jacket. I guess if we don't lose stuff we will just leave the next generation too much Sh-t to clear up... but they (and me) don't complain if it is good sh-t :0)

DaveK and Walrus like this.
  13. Professor Dec 31, 2020

Some time ago a friend's house burned down. Among the wreackage he saw a glint. It turned out to be a gold and diamond ring his father had often worn. The ring was half sunken into a thick layer of melted plastic. Possibly from a jewelry box or table.
    I cut away as much plastic as possible with a razor saw. I then put the ring in one of those tiny jars that Swiss Colony jams come in and half filled the jar with acetone nail polish and sealed it.
    After a few days the plastic settled as a muddy layer on the bottom of the jar.
    I then carefully cleaned and polished the ring by hand.

Funny but the glint he had seen was not from the larger diamond of the center setting, it had been submerged in the plastic, but rather one of the tiny chips on either side.

kkt, Walrus, DaveK and 2 others like this.
  14. Walrus Jan 1, 2021

Ok update starting to find my collection. We are both off today she told me exactly where this box was I went to get it and it wasn’t where she said. Took her 3 minutes to remember but she dug it out. I still have a couple I’m waiting on her to retrieve but at least I am making progress.
    image.jpg

Dsloan, George.A, Toishome and 3 others like this.
  15. TimeODanaos Jan 1, 2021

Dear Walrus, you are not alone. You can read *car keys/reading glasses/swim gear/invoice/wine bottle/lottery ticket... Always, the declared certainty is the clue that tells me I'm in for quite a haul. ::shy:::D

Walrus likes this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 1, 2021

Pretty funny! Now, to confuse her, place a neatly folded pair of panties, that you have acquired elsewhere and your wife would never confuse for her own, into her lingerie drawer. :whistling:

M'Bob, DaveK and Walrus like this.
  17. Walrus Jan 1, 2021

It sounds like a good form of revenge but since she is working from home and I am not she has a minimum of 50 hrs a week to plot her own counter attack, I don’t see that playing out well for me

kkt, DaveK and Tony C. like this.
  18. amcclell Jan 1, 2021

My wife of 33 years also has a habit of hiding things and then forgetting where she put them. They usually turn up in the end. Fortunately, she has yet to begin hiding my things for me - hence we remain happily married. At least she lets me look after the passports and safety deposit box key.

Walrus likes this.
  19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 1, 2021

This is like pressing the "self destruct" button. I would not recommend this course of action.

Walrus and DaveK like this.
  20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jan 1, 2021

Back when I lived alone, I found a jar of mustard in the fridge that I didn’t remember buying. I was in a dispute with my landlord at the time about maintenance. It freaked me out a bit. The randomness. So I wondered....would the landlord...?! But who would do such a thing? I didn’t know @Tony C at the time of course ;)

M'Bob, Tony C. and Walrus like this.