Co worker got a big invicta got more compliments in a day than I have in years

I don’t make a big deal about my watches. I mostly hang in shallow end anyway but a few of my coworkers have seen me looking at this site at work and one time I couldn’t keep my cool when I scored a vintage seiko at work and I was shouting like I was watching a ballgame.

Also many of my coworkers notice I’m wearing a different watch so often it’s hard not to notice apparently and they find that odd. So one of my coworkers asked me about watches said he didn’t want to spend more than 500 usd but wanted something decent. I just jotted down a list that included seiko, Hamilton some micro brands and printed some stuff online for him.

He came in Monday with a big shiny Invicta with a blue bezel that looks similar to a Rolex sub. If people like invicta I have no problem but he specifically said he “wanted something well built and low key”. Well imo that invicta is neither.

So then he’s showin the darn thing off and got (yes I counted) six watch compliments in one day as we made our rounds together. I had a 60’s constellation on didn’t get a double take.

So again this not about my lack of receiving accolades for a watch I wear I’m just realizing most people don’t know a thing about watches (maybe I should say many) and I found in funny how many people asked him if it was a Rolex. I’m also not “looking down” on invicta as I know a few people who collect only those and have like thirty of those bright yellow boxes in their closet and it makes them happy so that’s cool. Don’t really know is I have much of a point here other than he wore that massive watch all week and kept getting compliments while my mundane speedy, rado and everything else went unnoticed it was kinda funny but by the end of the week he was flexing with that damn invicta and I was glad it was Friday as I couldn’t take it anymore.

I found in funny how many people asked him if it was a Rolex.

Of course, if you are actually wearing a Sub and someone asks, you normally tell them it's a knock-off in order to avoid drawing too much attention.

The minute you make a fuss about your watch is the day you'll get mugged. I'm curious what happens to an Invicta owner when they take his watch. When they see it's an Invicta (BTW I have two) do they beat him up even more?

Of course, if you are actually wearing a Sub and someone asks, you normally tell them it's a knock-off in order to avoid drawing too much attention.
Yes and that’s another reason I don’t like flashy stuff. The time I fought off a watch robber I was wearing a quartz bulova but it was two tone maybe they thought it was something of value. I still have it. The prudent move probably would have been to just hand it over but when you are shocked and someone puts there hands on you out of the blue you get that “fight or flight thing” and the reaction is not always what you would think you would do.

Perhaps there is a reason why folks do not notice your watches. 7746067A-7F14-4798-ABA3-A4D5860E94B7.jpeg or… AD4CCE12-6821-41BD-801C-97F457C2F71F.jpeg

I find compliments or accolades from non-watch folk irrelevant. It’s mostly pearls before swine. The rare case is the person who responds to a particular design element, or explains why the styling is appealing.

That’s one of the fun things about posting here: if someone really appreciates your watch, you know they probably understand and appreciate what you do.

I have only gotten 2.5 watch compliments in my life from non friends:
Guy in line at the commissary noticed my Speedmaster- he was wearing one too.
Female co-worker loved my Tag Carerra (but she is in comm’s and graphics so is a visual person)
Douche bag at a wine & cheese work event noticed my OPD, showed me his shiny new Sub and proceeded to tell me that mine was a fake because it didn’t “sweep”. I began to explain lower beat rate but he just had this smug look on his face. I quickly noticed the crab-balls and made a polite exit.

You want compliments on your watch just enter an AD ::facepalm2::
No matter what I have been wearing I always find compliments, I wonder why :)

The way I think of watches as jewelry is that I wear what makes me feel good. That is certainly influenced by others but it isn’t intending to draw any attention towards myself. I simply want to look appropriate; boring is completely acceptable. I would feel pretty embarrassed if a stranger made any comments, positive or otherwise, about any particular article of clothing. It’s also why I don’t ever bother mentioning to strangers when I notice their watches or shoes or tie or etc.

I've had a few compliments on my watches from non-watch people. I think the piepan and memovox got the most attention, but also sports watches in general get people talking (anything with a dive bezel = "ROLEX!!??").

A guy on the bus started talking to me about my Speedmaster Reduced and how he always wanted one, which I found pretty strange given how unpopular it is.

Just recently my professor came up to me during our final exam and stared at my simple Seamaster:
84F14734-21C7-44FA-9966-34D6C5DB0E9F.jpeg
"Very nice watch" he whispered with a smile.
I was pretty deep into the exam at this point so it caught me off guard. I looked up and whispered back, "Thank you, it's an old Omega".
"Cheers" he said and walked off while I stared off into the distance having completely lost my train of thought.
Edited:

I find compliments or accolades from non-watch folk irrelevant. It’s mostly pearls before swine. The rare case is the person who responds to a particular design element, or explains why the styling is appealing.

That’s one of the fun things about posting here: if someone really appreciates your watch, you know they probably understand and appreciate what you do.
Good point. I always use situational awareness on the rare times I compliment someone’s watch but recently I was in line at a local theatre trying to cop tickets for Ringo Starr and the gentleman I’m front of me had a GS white birch. First time I saw one IRL and as I figured it was more stunning that the pictures I see of them. We were in a well lit area with plenty of people around so I had no problem telling the guy that may be the most beautiful watch dial I have ever seen. I just happened to be wearing my limited edition seiko presage with the funky dial, no match for a GS but it gets my foot in the door. What followed was a 10 minute conversation like two BFF’s talking watch dials. I like those rare times as tbh it really is getting to the point where you don’t want to say too much as people may think you are sizing them up for a robbery although in my experience those encounters are limited to “do you know what time it is” or someone just coming at you. I don’t think robbers want to leave much of an impression beyond the assault but I don’t know much on that subject.

proceeded to tell me that mine was a fake because it didn’t “sweep”. ..

In my experience 99.999% of people don't know anything about watches. I still to this day constantly hear people say and/or think that a sweeping second hand is exclusive to Rolex and that's how you know its real.

I had a 60’s constellation on didn’t get a double take.

Exactly! One of the reasons why I love vintage watches. The time you do get a compliment though it will more likely than not probably be someone who is into watches and will result in a pleasant conversation.

I never get compliments on what watch I wear except for one time just recently when I was wearing my Titanium Invicta automatic dive watch, go figure.
Younger guy with a modern watch who was obviously into watches and keen to compare.

WP_20211008_00_07_39_Rich.jpg

It just doesn't happen. A bartender in San Diego noticed my traser P6600 and she liked it for some reason. It's not a spectacular watch.

Another bartender noticed my 145.022-69 Speedmaster. Not as that exactly, of course, but it had caught her eye. She enjoyed hearing why I chose this vintage watch specifically. Well, it seemed like she did. We went out for a bit after so I think she was maybe just trying to talk to me? Then I moved. I did like her . . .

Those are the only times I can remember it happening in the wild and for all I know, both times were for different reasons than an interest in watches.
Edited:

1. There are some inexpensive quality watches to be had.
2. Most people like watches or jewelry for aesthetics above all. Cool. There are a dozen very high end watches I find ugly as hell. I would not compliment anyone for choosing an ugly watch.
3. I like it better when no one notices my watches when I’m out and about. I truly wear them just for me. And surprisingly, even when wearing either of my flashier(too flashy for me as I age) El Primero Daytonas, people almost never seem to notice.

You want compliments on your watch just enter an AD ::facepalm2::
No matter what I have been wearing I always find compliments, I wonder why :)

Or just enter a retail store that sells higher end products - my manager back when I used to work in retail many moons ago would suss out potential customers by assessing the quality of the watch on their wrist. If they were wearing a Rolex he’d be pushing you out of the way to get to them ::yawn::

I’m glad there are inexpensive options for mechanical (auto) and quartz watches beyond the smart watches 90% of people wear these days. I also see a lot of invictas in Wruw today that I find quite nice looking. I just was getting annoyed at my coworker flexing that dishplate invicta saying it was “better” than my stuff cause he was getting compliments. Some people just got that competitive thing about everything and always need to be right. He is still a good guy who I like but damn five days of that was wearing me down. I also don’t shove watches in peoples faces asking for opinions. I don’t wear watches for other people and tbh I feel uncomfortable when complimented. For some reason my seiko alpanist gets a few compliments and people are under the impression it’s an expensive watch.

So maybe my buddy will chill and he’s just enjoying his first non smart watch and seeing how the rotor spins and you don’t need a battery but I’m gonna hide my watches under my shirt cuff or wear my 65 dollar seiko 809 until this blows over cause I’ll concede and let him win and I really don’t care if I’m wrong often case the more I know, the less I understand all the things I thought I knew.

. . . the more I know, the less I understand all the things I thought I knew.

I feel like this is very wise. Or stupid. Not sure.