Forums Latest Members

Cleaning your watches in an ultrasonic cleaner

1. ericf4 Jan 26, 2016

This is now just a funny funny thread,..........like talking to a brick wall....Sorry I may be a new guy around here, but am i the only one finding this crazy??? I assume not...

2. ConElPueblo Jan 26, 2016

No. oddly enough a few new faces around here have acted the same way recently.

Some seem to think of OF as a sort of public information channel, where you're entitled to a well-documented answer - preferably one that's to your own liking.

C::censored::s, the lot of them.

Thegreatroberto likes this.
  3. Davidt Jan 26, 2016

Ultrasonic cleaning uses vibrations to literally shake dirt and grease off a surface.

From experience it often finds a weak spot and causes damage, such as forcing gems out of their setting in jewellery.

As it's not based on direct contact, but bubbles that are formed throughout the liquid, it can penetrate into minute cracks/crevices.

Don't put a complete watch in one.

ConElPueblo and Thegreatroberto like this.
  4. Thegreatroberto Jan 26, 2016

Thank you, that's usefull.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

Roberto you got several direct answers to your question, some by professional watchmakers. Synopsis: It is not a good idea to put a watch head with movement and dial into any ultrasonic machine. Reasons given, solution intrusion, lubricant dispersal, others. That you would do that with inquiring first astonishes me. Sorry you don't like the answers. The humor was a way to make the replies light without trying to directly insult , sometime that works, sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps there is a language issue that inhibits your full understanding.

6. ConElPueblo Jan 26, 2016

...I suspect one of us have got the wrong end of this.

I tried to say that I agree with @ericf4 and that others have come here recently also demanding that people back up their (reasonable) claims without putting out any counter-arguments...

It's probably my English skills that have let me down :D

Thegreatroberto likes this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

Not to worry, I mistook the intentions of both you and Eric, but I eventually figured it out. You have to keep in mind that staff are merely graduates of Sammy's Univ. :rolleyes:

ConElPueblo likes this.