Forums Latest Members

Cleaning your watches in an ultrasonic cleaner

1. ConElPueblo Jan 25, 2016

Sorry, Scarlett Johansson takes up all my energy.

oddboy, Speedmasterfan88 and Deafboy like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 25, 2016

Interesting thread...to answer your question, no I don't put anything between the bracelet and the wire basket. I just place the bracelet with the inside (that would touch your wrist) on the basket and run it that way, and I've never seen any scratches result. Just don't put anything else in that might contact the bracelet, or let one part of the bracelet fold over and touch another.

Certainly the watch head should not be put in an ultrasonic cleaning tank, primarily because the chances of it leaking are much higher. But watch movements are run through ultrasonic cleaning machines fully assembled (with hands, dial and date indicator removed) all the time. If you have a Rolex and had it serviced at a Rolex service center, this is how it was cleaned initially. Then of course it was fully disassembled and cleaned a second time while apart...

Northernman and Deafboy like this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 25, 2016

In summation, don't put a complete watch in an ultrasonic cleaner. You are likely to do more harm than good. Try warm water and a clean, soft toothbrush instead.

Pvt-Public, WiZARD and italy1861 like this.
  4. Pvt-Public Jan 25, 2016

Well that takes all the wonderment out of it! :taunt:

oddboy likes this.
  5. Northernman Lemaniac Jan 25, 2016

She's multi purpose I'm sure!
    :eek:

oddboy likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 25, 2016

I corrected that one for you.

oddboy and Garv like this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 25, 2016

I'm pretty sure that the COSH guidelines say you need to wear two, and a full body protective smock.

naked_gun_condom_full_body_ridiculous_sex_scene_18s775s-18s776p.jpg

8. Thegreatroberto Jan 25, 2016

So, most are saying no. But why?
    What is it that I am damaging, and why?

9. ericf4 Jan 25, 2016

Sounds like a terrible idea IMO.

10. Thegreatroberto Jan 25, 2016

Because?

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 25, 2016

Google how a ultrasonic bath works.

And advice from a watchmaker in a post above would be enough for me

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. Pvt-Public Jan 25, 2016

You never clarified if you remove the movement and dial. Do you? If you do I see no problem, if you don't it is my opinion (please note it is an opinion) you are playing with fire.

13. ericf4 Jan 25, 2016

I can't imagine that ultrasonic waves can do any good for the inner mech of a watch. Seems counter intuitive for sure.
    BTW you ask a question, get a ton of responses saying its bad and then still ask the above? I don't get it.

Edited Jan 25, 2016
  14. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 25, 2016

You really have NO idea. Do you.....

An ultrasonic cleaner uses water, not fire! In fact, if you were playing with fire, that would be fine as you could put it out with the water! ::stirthepot::

15. Pvt-Public Jan 25, 2016

DOH ! !::facepalm1::

16. Thegreatroberto Jan 26, 2016

You all have given me opinions. But no facts to back it up. When I ask for facts, or why you believe an opinion. I don't get one.
    And to answer a previous question, the complete watch and bracelet is placed in the cleaner basket. So, explain why it is bad for my watch, and what the degradation mechanisim is.

17. tyrantlizardrex Jan 26, 2016

First off, what an arrogant thing to say. Have you done any research to prove that what you're going is a GOOD idea?

A quick Google will tell you that:

1) vibration is not good for mechanical watches

2) At least one of the watches you mentioned isn't hugely water proof, so submerging it in water, and then having the water behave in a way that's designed to break down grease, but that can also distort rubber seals is an even worse idea.

And for nothing, I'll throw in number 3:

3) None of us have to justify our opinions to you. No one here is the watch police. Nor are we compelled to do your homework for you. You obviously have concerns or you wouldn't be asking if it's a bad idea - despite the fact that you already do it.

But when you do something dumb, and break one of your watches by putting them in a vibrating pot of water, after 20 people have given their opinion that it's a dumb idea, please don't come crying.

And equally let us have the serial numbers of your watches so that we know to avoid them.

Just my opinion there, sorry that I left the facts in my other Internet forum.

Edited Jan 26, 2016
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2016

Give us facts why it's good to do....

Show me one piece off literature from any watch company that says to do it. I bet will have to troll the Internet for a while.....

19. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

The facts are that it can/will cause water ingress into the watch case.

You have been given answers by qualified experienced individuals and don't believe anyone...

20. Pvt-Public Jan 26, 2016

Even if he were to take the movement out, I wonder if he thinks these would make a great case back remover. Personally I think they work GREAT. Of course you need an air compressor. And as a bonus they also work wonders on stripped bridge screws.There has never been a case back I couldn't get loose!! ::stirthepot::::popcorn::
    chisel.jpg

Thegreatroberto likes this.