Forums Latest Members

Cleaning a flat-link bracelet without an ultrasonic device?

1. M'Bob Sep 2, 2019

Is there an acceptable way to clean these without the machine? Soak in a solvent? Dish detergent, water and a soft cloth? Or check gaskets, and hang arm out of window at the local car wash?

chronoboy64, Mad Dog and DaveK like this.
  2. Willbur Sep 2, 2019

Electric toothbrush provide better results than ultrasonic

M'Bob likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2019

Not effectively, unless you are going to disassemble it completely. The ultrasonic is the gold standard method for this that even service centers use. Any sort of external cleaning isn't going to dislodge the dirt that lurks inside the bracelet.

chronoboy64, Davidt, Tony C. and 4 others like this.
  4. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 2, 2019

I use boiling water with some soap but I'm with ^Archer^: you'll never get it fully clean.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. Vitezi Sep 2, 2019

6. Ville_W Sep 2, 2019

Before I invested in an ultrasonic washer I use the dishwasher. Works well. Use highest possible temperature.

7. M'Bob Sep 2, 2019

Thanks everyone for the input. I guess I should just cough up for the ultrasonic cleaner. Any recommendations for the occasional, non-professional user?

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2019

They don't have to be super expensive. GemOro makes some decent units that are made of plastic that don't cost a fortune like the full stainless steel units do. The tank for the liquid is still SS, but the outer part of the unit is plastic.

bama2141, lando, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  9. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 2, 2019

repeated soakings in soapy (dish detergent) water fresh out of the microwave. The wrist cheese melts away. Usually takes 3 soaks and a little toothbrush work and the bracelet is sparkling.

M'Bob likes this.
  10. cristos71 Sep 2, 2019

When a 'new' one arrives I normally boil it for 5 minutes with a little dish washing liquid.

Mark020 and M'Bob like this.
  11. M'Bob Sep 2, 2019

Excellent, thanks for the recommendation.

12. pascs Sep 2, 2019

I normally leave it overnight in a sealed container of WD40 and washing up liquid and then wash it in hot water, it helps to dislodge the majority of built up gunk.

It would be good to get a recommendation of a reasonably priced ultrasonic cleaner though

KingCrouchy and M'Bob like this.
  13. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 2, 2019

Related factoid: I saw on mythbusters where opening a microwave oven’s door too soon can cause the water inside to explode (I don’t recall the fabulous science terms behind it). Best to wait a count of 3 before opening the door

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2019

If you can spring for one with a heating element in it, that can also help with cleaning certainly. I typically use the heater when cleaning polishing compounds off parts, since the compounds are formulated with a wax type base, so the heat helps get rid of that.

Note that the power these units have varies wildly, so the more powerful it is the better it will clean. Mine's powerful enough that I've had loose bracelet pins work their way out in the tank.

As for fluids, there are specific cleaning solutions for these tanks, but on the advice of a friend who is a goldsmith, I simply use Mr. clean diluted in water, and it does a great job.

Edited Sep 2, 2019
  15. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 2, 2019

Sometimes when I drop the bracelet in the super heated water, the water bubbles like it has Co2 in it.

DaveK likes this.
  16. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Sep 2, 2019

Do you tell your wife?

17. JwRosenthal Sep 2, 2019

I agree ultrasonic is the gold standard and the Chinese made ones from Amazon aren’t expensive. I have always done the Dawn dish soap soak in warm water and scrub with old toothbrush and have been shocked with what comes out- but agreed-the nooks and crannies inside are the real hard spots to get.
    Has anyone tried brake cleaner? This has always been the trick with gunked up firearms and it never damaged the delicate blued finishes and strips them clean of everything.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 2, 2019

perchloroethylene - nasty stuff...

19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 2, 2019

He's right for sure. Plastics-safe electronics cleaner is much safer.

My own method is ultrasonic on used bracelets I acquire and then a frequent scrub on the watch (for those water-resistant watches that retain their water resistance) with Dawn and a brush. Something about brushed stainless that an ultrasonic just can't do that a brush and Dawn does to get the surface bright as well as clean.

Tom

20. JwRosenthal Sep 2, 2019

It is indeed- always wear gloves when using it, but always shocked that regardless of how much I clean with Hoppe’s, if I hit the action with brake kleen- more black crap comes off like it’s water and the surface is oil free

...but I heed your warning on watches.