Forums Latest Members

Watch bracelet cleaning...without an ultrasonic machine...

1. M'Bob Aug 7, 2017

A watch dealer I know once told me that his customers who had their bracelets last the longest were the ones that wore them in the shower. He reasoned that the constant cleaning from the soap and water probably removed the grit between the links, that tends to cause metal wear.

On the other hand, Al said, in a previous post, that folks who do this tend to get more wear on their bracelets, because rinsing does not completely remove the soap, which attracts dirt and thus actually causes more wear.

I'm going to side with Al on this, because I'm sure he is correct. But if one does not own an ultrasonic machine, is there another acceptable way to clean a bracelet other than using soap? Dish detergent? A swish in a glass jar with some particular solvent? Thanks.

Edited Aug 7, 2017
    Mad Dog and Vitezi like this.
  2. jimmyd13 Aug 7, 2017

I'm ready to be shot down in flames but I occasionally put my bracelets in some water with a drop of Fairy. I've also used surface cleaner to remove oils and grease (isopropanol) - now that stuff will clean anything off anything ... I'd be very careful around anything that was petroleum based, so all plastics! It'll most likely do a decent job of ruining anything but a sapphire crystal and your seals WILL be ruined ... so take the bracelet off the watch first. Other than that, I've also had good results with a drop of Optrex and a few Q-tips to get dirt out of all the little gaps without going to the extreme of taking them apart.

M'Bob likes this.
  3. keepitsimple Aug 7, 2017

Thing is - if you have an expensive watch with a ridiculously expensive (for what it is) bracelet, a basic ultrasonic cleaner - which is all you need for this - is dirt cheap in comparison, so there's not much good reason not to use one, and you'll find other uses for it as well.

4. Davidt Aug 7, 2017

I have an ultra sonic, but I've occasionally just filled a small bowl with very hot water and washing up liquid, and left bracelets to soak overnight. On barn finds, there's usually loads of dirt in the bottom the next day. Then a light clean with an old tooth brush.

GuiltyBoomerang, Wryfox and M'Bob like this.
  5. Vitezi Aug 7, 2017

I'm unsure how acceptable it is :eek:...but a soak in some WD40 removed a lot of crud out of mine.
    [​IMG]

STANDY and M'Bob like this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 7, 2017

7. jimmyd13 Aug 7, 2017

Should I put my Speedmaster in the knife drawer or the glass holder?

Longbow likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 7, 2017

Take the watch part off and stretch it between the plate holder prongs.

jimmyd13 and Longbow like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2017

There simply is no substitute for an ultrasonic. I've cleaned bracelets using other methods until they "look clean" and they still discharge a pile of crud when I put them through the ultrasonic cleaner.

The only other machine that comes close (and in some specific circumstances is better) is a steam cleaner of the type that goldsmiths use. But those are more than a decent ultrasonic tank is.

If you want to go the time consuming route you can disassemble the bracelet and hand clean as much as you can.

Cheers, Al

10. ac921ol Aug 7, 2017

Just to be sure, I just drop the bracelet in the ultrasonic machine. Not the head, correct?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 7, 2017

This thread is about cleaning bracelets only...

12. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Aug 7, 2017

I have had excellent results boiling watch bracelets in a pot. Works great on stainless steel, not so good on PVD? bracelets. Had a Green Heuer 510.XXX bracelet with the green coating, and it was removed. Might have been the ammonia.... Wy wife lets me experiment at home.::stirthepot::

M'Bob likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 7, 2017

Just a few minutes with the coffee machine steam wand has worked a treat on other things so...

image.jpeg

Kmart, wsfarrell, watchknut and 2 others like this.
  14. Shailor Aug 7, 2017

15. w.finkenstaedt Aug 8, 2017

Yeah, you can magnetize the watch if you put it through the ultrasonic, supposedly.

16. mikesspeedy Aug 8, 2017

Looks like two Global cooking knives in that picture. I would not put my Global knives in a dishwasher, I always hand clean them by hand and dry at once.

Marku, JimInOz and Bumper like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2017

Only way to stop them rusting hey ;)

18. Motman Aug 8, 2017

Every now and again I drop mine in some water with washing up liquid, give it a good sloosh about and then give it a good rinse. I only do it when I notice a black ring on my arm when I take my watch off on a hot day! Never even considered an ultrasonic cleaner before and just looked them up. Will definately be getting one of them.

19. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 8, 2017

Very good young man, take the rest of the day off.

Here's my solution to cleaning Global Knives.
    GKC.JPG

Once clean, rinse under hot water and dry with a cotton towel, place in knife block.

What magnificent thread drift.

:D

mikesspeedy, Marku and Vitezi like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2017

FIFY Jim

JimInOz likes this.