Clean or leave alone?

Thank you all for your replies. As long as there is little risk of damage from the patina, I prefer to leave it in its natural condition. I'm not a big fan of the strap but that was the one he put on it so it has some sentimental value too. It's great to know a bit more about the watch, and I'm really grateful to you all for giving your time and expertise.
The problem with the strap, is that the spring-loaded endlinks will damage the insides of the lugs over time.

It really would benefit by adding a strap that plays off the dial and case. Someone like Aaron Pimintel of Montreal (formerly combat Straps) could do wonders. https://www.aaronbespoke.com/contact-1
Edited:

It really would benefit by adding a strap that plays off the dial and case. Someone like Aaron of Montreal (formerly combat Straps) could do wonders.
This could be a case where a colorful strap could work.

This could be a case where a colorful strap could work.
With perhaps stitching to pick up the dial. Aaron is superb at figuring that out.

A new gasket when it is serviced will help to preserve the dial as is. As for straps, tan is usually a safe bet.