Clean or leave alone?

Hello all, I'm a complete newcomer and have just one omega watch to my name. It was given to me by grandfather 10 years or so ago. Im not sure of the exact model, but I'd like to know more. It seems to be in good working order and seems to keep time well. My main concern is that it's always had quite a heavy 'patina' on the face, and I don't know whether this could eventually cause a problem or affect its value. Is it something I should get cleaned? I know some people like patinas but I wonder if this is a bit much. Personally I quite like it (it's softer than it appears in the photos) but I know it's not for everyone! I have no intention of selling it but I am also interested in whether it has much value. Thanks all.

Generally you can't clean a dial. And like you said it comes down to the personal preference on anyone who might want to buy it.
Best bet is to make sure its been serviced in the last 10 years and leave it be

Ok, thanks for your reply. Is this likely to be mostly on the dial surface, or on the inside of the watch too? Any idea of the model number or year for this watch? I took it to someone to find out its number, but they refused to take the back off it!

Both these questions to be answered need you to get the back opened, the movement will show the damage (if any). And the serial number, which will tell the date of production.

in the inside of the caseback there will be a reference number, which identifies the exact model, and guide search for its characteristics.

the dial very rarely can be serviced, usually gets ruined. Better find a suitable substitute (keeping the original for sentimental and historical reasons - and reversibility)
Edited:

I think your watch is an Omega Seamaster Ref. 2576. Here is some information from Omega:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watch-omega-seamaster-omega-ck-2576

No picture there, but if you Google “Omega watch 2576”, you’ll find hundreds of similar examples with dozens of different dials.

The patina on your dial is caused by natural yellowing of the lacquer. This happens with most Omega watches from the 1940’s through the 1950’s. Environmental factors play a role in this, like exposure to cigarette smoke, radioactivity (yes, that is real radium on the dial and hands) and high humidity.

The issue with trying to clean a dial with this type of damage is that removing the lacquer is likely to also remove the original printing on the dial. IMO, this destroys the vintage charm of the watch. Most people don’t feel this way, so when you search, you will see many watches with varying quality of refinished dials.

If the watch hasn’t been serviced in years and you want to wear it regularly, you should find a watchmaker in your area that can clean and lubricate the movement. It will cost a few hundred dollars, but will preserve some of the moving parts.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

gatorcpa is correct that this is a reference 2576. Here is a photo of mine to show you what an unpolished example with an original unrefinished dial in good condition looks like:
IMG_6537.jpeg
If you’re not bothered by the dial patina, just have the movement serviced by an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account and wear it. Cleaning the dial will almost certainly destroy it. There were many of this model made, so you may be able to find one with a nice original dial that you could salvage to replace yours. Be careful if you choose this option because there are many redials out there as gatorcpa notes.
Edited:

If you refinish the dial. It can never go back to what it was. Some may like it that way. Some may not. Your watch. Your decision to make

I bought and resold. Some dials I left as is as the patina was evenly placed around the dial. Some not and these were refinished.

could be the patina is the old lacquer just showing its age. I had a liquid a friend gave me for dial dipping to clean dials, I no longer have either (first passed and took secret with him)

If you like it, why risk cleaning. There's not guarantee it will look better after cleaning.

gatorcpa is correct that this is a reference 2576. Here is a photo of mine to show you what an unpolished example with an original unrefinished dial in good condition looks like:
IMG_6537.jpeg
If you’re not bothered by the dial patina, just have the movement serviced by an independent watchmaker with an Omega parts account and wear it. Cleaning the dial will almost certainly destroy it. There were many of this model made, so you may be able to find one with a nice original dial that you could salvage to replace yours. Be careful if you choose this option because there are many redials out there as gatorcpa notes.
The sub-second version of the well-known 2577?
https://omegaforums.net/threads/sho...-little-introduction-to-the-reference.153541/

IMG_1896.jpeg

The general rule these days is to leave things alone.

There is so much deferred maintenance in this day and age, why risk repairing things that are not broken.

Chances are if the item is serviced, It will just go back into storage, drawer or vault anyway.

Still this is a nice style. My favorite. I have two of them I call the twins. One of them needs a seconds hand, I need to make straps for both of them.

Patina is a matter of taste. This is a bit heavy but it’s pretty consistent and thus kinda interesting. Don’t try to have it cleaned. The more important work is a full movement service to keep it running.

I like the patina too. Keep it as is. 👍

That solar flare patina is kinda cool. Keep it like that if you like it! Leave the refinishing decision to whoever gets it later down the road.

I would certainly leave this alone - not worth the risk.

In my opinion is to much but i know peoples who like that way. Enjoy your watch!

This is a very nice watch, and most importantly was your grandfathers watch. It is a sought after reference among collectors. I would definitely follow advice already given to have it serviced, but instruct watchmaker no case polishing, do not touch the dial or hands. I would put it on a nice brown leather strap with vintage style, and enjoy wearing the watch of your grandfather and think of him as you look at that one of a kind dial. Priceless!!!

This is a very nice watch, and most importantly was your grandfathers watch. It is a sought after reference among collectors. I would definitely follow advice already given to have it serviced, but instruct watchmaker no case polishing, do not touch the dial or hands. I would put it on a nice brown leather strap with vintage style, and enjoy wearing the watch of your grandfather and think of him as you look at that one of a kind dial. Priceless!!!
This x 1,000,000,000. I’d love to have a tangible connection to my Grandfather, and this is such a wonderful watch in so many ways. Enjoy and wear in good health!!

Thank you all for your replies. As long as there is little risk of damage from the patina, I prefer to leave it in its natural condition. I'm not a big fan of the strap but that was the one he put on it so it has some sentimental value too. It's great to know a bit more about the watch, and I'm really grateful to you all for giving your time and expertise.