Classic car spotting this week.

Posts
9,243
Likes
76,973
Did it have a lever for 'reserve' in the footwell?
Nope, I got mine secondhand in the early 1970s and it had a post 1965 fuel gauge on the dashboard.
 
Posts
6,768
Likes
10,423
Mine was a Jan 1963 model (so ‘pre-reg’ in the UK) in Turkish-Blau.
No lever for a reserve tank but main beam was a foot operated button on the floor and the window washers were powered by the spare tyre pressure.
(When I say main beam - I think the 6v lights actually sucked light in like a black hole)
 
Posts
242
Likes
700
Aged 5, this was my dream car, along with an orange Dodge Charger. As a grown up, I can understand why my dad wasn't up for painting our car like either.
The colours may be a bit extravagant, but it sounds like 5-year-old you had a good eye for the cars themselves - a '70 charger is a beautiful car
 
Posts
5,339
Likes
76,028
Just spotted on our way home from Tom Jones concert in Chester , Aston Martin Volante convertible ,one of only 140 made .
Edited:
 
Posts
4,343
Likes
12,767
Just spotted on our way home from Tom Jones concert in Chester , Aston Martin Volante convertible ,one of only 140 made .
Maybe it's Tom Jone's.
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,156
Alvis Six with body by James Young, the only Young-bodied Alvis on this model of chassis/engine.
Intended to be chauffeur driven the owner had their own fold-away windscreen for open-top journeys.
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,156
MR2÷3


This car has been seen around town for many years and as it's now over 40 years old it's a classic IMO. It has a 1984/5 registration so it's an early one too.

So why a photo now? Red is notorious for fading and this Toyota was no exception. It disappeared a couple of months ago and I guessed the owner must have sold it or moved away. But no, last week it reappeared resplendent with a shiny new coat of red paint. Well done to the owner keeping it going as an everyday car.

And I'll try to get the front 1/3rd some day....
 
Posts
15,933
Likes
47,852
MR2÷3


This car has been seen around town for many years and as it's now over 40 years old it's a classic IMO. It has a 1984/5 registration so it's an early one too.

So why a photo now? Red is notorious for fading and this Toyota was no exception. It disappeared a couple of months ago and I guessed the owner must have sold it or moved away. But no, last week it reappeared resplendent with a shiny new coat of red paint. Well done to the owner keeping it going as an everyday car.

And I'll try to get the front 1/3rd some day....
That’ll be aToyota MR 2. Odd how Toyota made a success of the MR2, while the GM Fiero (same layout) was the GM version of the Edsel!
 
Posts
4,876
Likes
24,822
Not quite as "classic" but in my area, there has been a yellow E55 AMG wagon going on over 20 years now. I know it is the same one because really how many yellow E55 AMG wagons are scooting around...
I first saw it when I was in high school when it was new. Though I would see it around town close to my neighborhood - I never found out where it got parked every night nor could I ever approach the owner and tell them how much I loved it.
I left my hometown twice in my life - both times for a handful of years and every time I came back, I'd see it again.
I hadn't seen it for YEARS and then one day while I was at the gas station by my house, I saw it pull around the corner and off it drove.
Still a mystery as to where it "lives" but one day I will finally be able to talk to the owner and tell them I have been eyeing this car for the last 20+ years and that I will BUY IT FROM THEM RIGHT NOW!!!! Hah.

Funny, I googled a picture of the car and the first picture that pops up is THE car - just not my picture. The license plate confirms it.


And after some more Googling - it seems as if this is even more rare than I thought. Supposedly a very well known 1 of 1 in the MB community.
 
Posts
3,600
Likes
9,156
Odd how Toyota made a success of the MR2, while the GM Fiero (same layout) was the GM version of the Edsel!
Car&Driver has a 1987 article explaining why. Archive road test.

Here's the closing paragraph:
"Instead, in its third year of production, the Fiero is still a patchwork of miscellaneous GM parts. The car's handling discourages probing its limits, the brakes are disappointing, the steering combines the heavy effort of a manual with the numb feel of an old power unit, and the gearbox has only four speeds. Although sales are good, this Fiero is fast becoming a non-car to enthusiasts."
 
Posts
265
Likes
434
That’ll be aToyota MR 2. Odd how Toyota made a success of the MR2, while the GM Fiero (same layout) was the GM version of the Edsel!

Worth watching.

 
Posts
5,309
Likes
53,968

Pimp mobile, how many lights do you need not to mention horns spare tyres etc, understated elegance destroyed by the fluffy dice after market accessories brigade. It would look a lot nicer with out the extra crap.
 
Posts
366
Likes
936
E36 looked like it had been languishing in streets for a while. And then there was a modern day Mary Kaye inspired 997 to shock passers by. Both in NYC.
 
Posts
5,339
Likes
76,028
Original Renault 5 in daily use , parked up in Potter Heigham Norfolk.