CK2998 on 6704 Racing Bracelet End Link Play?

I've had my blue Ck2998 for a couple of years and never quite found the right strap for it. This week I ordered an official 6704 racing bracelet from Switch Watch Spares that is supposed to be a direct fit for the watch. I did my research and pulled the trigger at $750. I took the watch to my Omega AD to put the bracelet on. At first, they told me it wouldn't fit as the lug holes in the watch did not line up correctly with the bracelet. Looking at the two together, it sure looks like a direct fit so I asked them to try again. Upon a second attempt, they got it to fit claiming they had to use thinner spring bars. I did ask them if they were using official Omega spring bars and he said yes but TBH I don't know. So the bracelet looks amazing and I feel like I have a new watch. But (and there always is a but), there is some decent vertical play on the end link - up and down where it meets the case. My only real concern with this amount of play is that it may damage the case. I expected some minor scratching and don't really care since it won't be visible so I'm just trying to determine whether I need to revisit this with someone else or leave it be. This is not a bracelet designed for the watch so I assume some minor play is reasonable. Any feedback on what to expect would be appreciated. Yes, I am fairly certain I ordered the correct bracelet and end links for the watch. John at Switch Watch Spares was very knowledgeable and helpful in the process.

Bring it to a real watch expert...not an Omega AD but an independent shop as they are much busier thus skilled.

I ordered an official 6704 racing bracelet from Switch Watch Spares that is supposed to be a direct fit for the watch.

This is not a bracelet designed for the watch so I assume some minor play is reasonable.

First you say that it is a direct fit, then you say it's not. I am going to assume that it's not the correct bracelet for the watch, so it's going to require some fiddling and the fit will never be perfect. Either you need to do it yourself, or find someone with the experience to do it.

Frankly, my bigger concern would be whether you actually got an authentic bracelet when buying from a third party.

First you say that it is a direct fit, then you say it's not. I am going to assume that it's not the correct bracelet for the watch, so it's going to require some fiddling and the fit will never be perfect. Either you need to do it yourself, or find someone with the experience to do it.

Frankly, my bigger concern would be whether you actually got an authentic bracelet when buying from a third party.
You would be assuming incorrectly. And I have no doubt it's authentic.

Yes, there are lots of ck2998 owners using this bracelet as a direct swap. Examples all of the web. However, the bracelet was not specifically made for the watch so presumably some tolerance is acceptable. Trying to gauge what I should expect versus being concerned. I will take it to a watch expert and get their views.

You have indicated twice that the bracelet is not made for the watch, but then you say I am incorrect in assuming that it's not the correct bracelet for the watch. 🤨

If it's not made for the watch, it's not correct for the watch by definition. But with some fiddling, I'm sure you'll make it work.

You have indicated twice that the bracelet is not made for the watch, but then you say I am incorrect in assuming that it's not the correct bracelet for the watch. 🤨

If it's not made for the watch, it's not correct for the watch by definition. But with some fiddling, I'm sure you'll make it work.
The bracelet is not specifically made for the CK2998 no but it's well known to be a direct fit for the CK2998. Hopefully that makes sense.

I remember this story now, it's also the reason why old 1125 bracelets are getting bid up so much in auctions. However, with patience, I did manage to get one recently for my 168.022 at a reasonable price.

IMG_3916.jpeg

my biggest concern at this stage is that there is enough play that the tabs on the end links move up and down a bit causing friction on the underside of the lugs. I image over time, the constant motion of those tabs on the lugs will create some wear. Some superficial marks are fine and probably go with the territory but I wouldn't want them to "dig" into the watch.

my biggest concern at this stage is that there is enough play that the tabs on the end links move up and down a bit causing friction on the underside of the lugs. I image over time, the constant motion of those tabs on the lugs will create some wear. Some superficial marks are fine and probably go with the territory but I wouldn't want them to "dig" into the watch.

Your best bet is to keep it clean. The worst wear comes when there is dirt and grit between the tabs and lugs.