Forums Latest Members

Chronomaster T Moonphase Conundrum.

1. Tempus Mar 4, 2020

Am I mad selling?

I've been wanting to downsize my collection for some time now but which to choose is such a difficult decision. I've taken this one out a dozen times to photograph for a sale and each time, until now, I've put it back in the safe!

The chronomaster is a bit of a conundrum for me...the finish for the price pt, amazing. The movement is wonderful to look at and the complications and dial layout really speaks to me. Where it looses me is the case design...plumpish and baroque.

Do you think this watch has stagnated for collectors? interested to hear your thoughts.

John DSCF2913.jpg

JONKARLOS likes this.
  2. Risto Mar 4, 2020

I don't like the 90s design language, but this model is beautiful. Keep it :)

If you decide to sell, let me know, I have a friend who loves this reference and considers buying one (in EU).

Tempus likes this.
  3. Dan S Mar 4, 2020

Although they are definitely well-made pieces with a high-quality movement, I don't think that any of the 90s or early 2000s El Primero models have ever been particularly collectible. I have had a couple (not this particular reference), tired of them, and sold them at a loss.

amcclell, Tempus and wristpirate like this.
  4. wristpirate Mar 4, 2020

The design language of this era does not talk to a lot of collectors. Just a fashion thing. Very undervalued considering what you get in terms of movement and finishing.

Tempus likes this.
  5. Tempus Mar 5, 2020

Agree with all the comments above, very well put. Might be appreciated for it's rather unique complications some time in the future.

6. moyrules Mar 5, 2020

I don’t know how looks the rest of your collection, or how big is it. Following your words, it seems you like it, so don’t sell it.

The Chronomaster, in my opinion, is something like the returning of Zenith to the firsts positions of watchmaking. It was a success on the 90s, lot of pieces had been sold from moonphase editions. I like it, it’s a zenith design, and if collectors pay for quality and movement, this is really under evaluated.

I really like the one with black dial, and if everything runs well, a black dial Chronomaster will be in my wrist very soon.

Tempus likes this.
  7. stuart70 Mar 6, 2020

Without knowing what else is in your collection it is a hard decision. For me I would keep Zenith over Rolex. Sell the Rolex make some money and enjoy the Zenith knowing you have a full calendar with in house movement.
    I think that the late 90’s and early 00’s are undervalued but the means you can wear them without fearing a scratch will cost you hundreds in damage.
    For me this would be a keeper. I like the style and the complication.

Tempus and Risto like this.
  8. rolokr Mar 7, 2020

Just enjoy it, I’m pretty sure in the long run 1990s watches may never be that collected. We can’t worry about our past watch purchases. Younger generations don’t seem to care that much about mechanical watches in general Juat think about pocket watches, not much interest in them anymore ? If your a watch collector then you can only buy a watch if you sell one. Or just enjoy the ones you already have !

Tempus and Dan S like this.
  9. sxl2004 Mar 8, 2020

Very simple for me: If it puts a smile on your face keep it.
    I love mine w/o the calendar.

Tempus likes this.
  10. neilp Mar 12, 2020

I have one of these - same exact model as yours. One of my favorites. I think the manufacture movement, the El Primero history and the complications set this watch apart. Especially when you look at the cost on the used market. The later model was larger and less attractive and last sold for over $10K!!

Tempus likes this.
  11. neilp Mar 12, 2020

This is mine - it's a twin!

zen4.jpg
    Tempus and stuart70 like this.
  12. DTMwatch Mar 14, 2020

I really like the looks of this model. Keep it if you like it too.

13. amcclell Mar 16, 2020

Yours is the nicest of the moonphase line IMHO. The white dial, Roman numerals, and dauphine hands have an understated elegance. The smaller size is preferable than the larger cases that seem to be more popular today. Is there anything in particular that you are looking to replace it with?

14. Tempus Mar 17, 2020

No amcclell, it is more about downsizing than replacing. Interestingly I re-bought this watch after selling similar about 10 yrs ago!::facepalm1::

15. amcclell Mar 17, 2020

In that case, I suggest we rename this the Liz Taylor-Richard Burton EP Moonphase.

Tempus likes this.
  16. rootbeer7 Mar 18, 2020

I really like this reference, but on numerous occasions when I had the opportunity to buy one at a very good price I never pulled the trigger. I always felt that the subdials and day and date apertures were just too small. But, if I had bought it I think I’d struggle to let it go.

Tempus likes this.
  17. prokudin Jun 20, 2020

Good luck with your sell. The watch is certainly in top notch conditions. I am very surprised it has not been sold yet and it is not appreciated enough by collectors. This very model is on my wish list in will be mine in a few years. It is too bad it is not the right time for me now, otherwise I would not hesitate a second.

Tempus likes this.
  18. Masterofkarate Jul 18, 2020

This is one of those watches that one day will be in my collection. I think the price had a big leap at the time urban gentry and a few other youtubers reviewed it.