Forums Latest Members
  1. ZIELSZIEK Nov 9, 2020

So, I recently sold my Hamilton GMT on Chrono24. The seller messaged me to tell that the GMT hand is "late" but he doesn't seem to understand that the ETA 2893-2 is not a "true GMT" watch and that the GMT hand does one revolution per 24 hours. The dial has the 24 hour markings for a reason.
    I don't like "convincing" people into something that they do not fully understand and I am 100% that my watch is working as it should, since I've had more than a couple of months where I have tried to rekindle my relationship with it. The packing was done right so no fault there. So, what do I do in this case? I don't want to be a POS
    P.s: I've clearly stated this in my description, explaining exactly how the movement works and the fact that this is not a true gmt by using clear words and leaving nothing to interpretation.
    Any insight is appreciated, thank you.

Edited Nov 9, 2020
    bristnj likes this.
  2. Shabbaz Nov 9, 2020

Tell him how it is and tell him if he still has problems he can send the watch back on his own costs and in the same condition. Life is to short to get into a fight about these things...

ZIELSZIEK and jaguar11 like this.
  3. Shabbaz Nov 9, 2020

4. ZIELSZIEK Nov 10, 2020

@Shabbaz Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll eventually accept a return, provided everything is as it was sent.

What particularly worries me, that I have been stupid enough to overlook, is something that the seller said. He had some payment issues and said "I have tried three different credit cards and none work" Maybe I'm only being paranoic, who knows.

I wonder what Chrono has to say about this..

5. Shabbaz Nov 10, 2020

Yes. It's a pain in the ... to take something back. As you can read in my other thread I received my watch back with a scratch that was'nt there. Was'nt nice...

Anyway, chrono confirmed he paid? The money is on the escrow account of chrono? If you take it back the buyer has to start the return option. You can read in my other thread how that works.

6. Skipper_S Nov 10, 2020

Hi,
    If you are a private seller you are not obliged to accept a return.
    Have you used their escrow service? Or it was a direct payment?
    C24 can support the communication with the buyer so as to find a solution satisfactory for both parties but can't oblige seller to accept a return.
    It is just ethical to accept a return if was glossy misrepresented.
    Can you post here your description so we can comment?

befobe likes this.
  7. zwjk Nov 10, 2020

Can C24 be the mediator to avoid the returns route?

I would be hesitant to take a return if there was nothing wrong with the watch in the first place and watch was correctly described. Who knows what they could have done with it while it’s in their possession?

Jeeper likes this.
  8. ZIELSZIEK Nov 10, 2020

@Skipper_S This is not a misrepresentation. The buyer himself stated that the watch is as described. I stated clearly that it has the ETA 2893-2. I also described the operation of it, clearly. I don't want to involve Chrono24. I'll just take the return if I have to. I have chatted last night with the buyer and his claim was that "the second timezone is late". I don't see how this is possible since he stated that the watch was keeping good time on the first timezone and the hour and and GMT hand are slaved together.

Also, he clearly doesn't know how to use it, judging by some random pics that he sent me. They make no sense.

@zwjk I am not hesitant to accept a return, but this person has said two things that concern me:
    1. He had some issues with the payment, we used the escrow service and he said "I tried three different credit cards". Maybe I'm just being paranoid here.
    2. He talked about taking the watch in to Hamilton(Swatch) which I am completely against. It's still under warranty and I have provided all paperwork. Plus, he did not release the funds to me, which means the watch is not in his possession, so we're in the "probation" period at the moment.

I'll talk to him today and if it will not work, I'll just take the watch back. The language barrier doesn't help either....

9. nmttd2 Nov 10, 2020

This is the reason why I never sell any of my watches. I would hate to deal with ignorant buyers.

10. ZIELSZIEK Nov 10, 2020

Needs must when the Devil drives.....

Jeeper likes this.
  11. Skipper_S Nov 10, 2020

Don't take the watch back if you have his statement that the watch is as described!

edit: You might receive a watch with a scratch (like Shabbaz), missing parts or documents etc.
    C24 can only check your listing, the messages you both have exchanged and then they can just advice the buyer and seller to try find a solution but they can't oblige you to accept a return.

12. gpssti4 Nov 10, 2020

If he has stated that it’s working as you described and it’s under (a transferable) warranty, then tell him to take it to Hamilton to check that there is actually nothing wrong. He should have understood what he was buying and it sounds a little like buyers remorse.

Jeeper likes this.
  13. ZIELSZIEK Nov 10, 2020

Since this has gotten too convoluted for my tastes I have called Chrono24 and asked them to review the situation. I don't want to be a piece of excrement but after some thinking my product is as described and working. Shipping was done correctly, insured and the parcel was properly wrapped. I received confirmation that the item is working. I don't like the disconnect that is happening. I'm still open to a return, but I am growing more and more hesitant, especially since the guy told me he'll message me now and quite some time has passed.

The buyer is unresponsive. In my opinion, the watch has been with him for sufficient time to test all functions and monitor timekeeping and reserve.
    I don't want my watch opened or anything like that. I also have no clue about what is being done to/with it. I also have received pictures of the watch and it's clearly working and it is in the condition it was described, since the buyer clearly said that.

I was a little surprised by the fact that Chrono24 does not have a watchmaker/technical advisor. The lady who answered was helpful but I doubt that getting into specifics with her would have been of use. Thankfully, this will be my last sale for a very long time.

Edit: He answered after 10 minutes I posted this, saying he will take the watch to a Hamilton shop in the morning. I don't know how to feel about this, but maybe they will explain it is all fine.

@gpssti4 The watch is still covered by the international warranty. It's under warranty until late 2021. Local law clearly states that warranty is transferable, but there's nothing wrong with the watch........

Maybe I'm a little jumpy, especially since this is my 4th sale ever and all before went smoothly.
    A sincere thank you to everybody who took their time to reply to this!

Edited Nov 10, 2020
  14. gpssti4 Nov 10, 2020

I understand that there’s nothing wrong with the watch. My point is that you’ve sold a watch in good faith and done everything correctly, by him taking it to Hamilton they will likely confirm that it’s working as it should. If, in the unlikely event, that it’s developed a fault, then they will take care if it. Good luck with what you decide to do.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.
  15. ZIELSZIEK Nov 11, 2020

Update:
    He sent the watch to Hamilton without my consent. We only talked about having it examined. I would have accepted a return since they said that the GMT hand is out of alignment(that was not the case when I had the watch, but I believe it is something that may have occurred during shipping, despite my extra careful packaging)
    There is no chance I will be doing that now. He also mentioned that he will be holding out on the payment until he receives the watch back. In my opinion that's unfair. He had two options, keep the watch and release the fund or send it back to me.
    I have notified Chrono24 and they agreed with me and they saw that I mentioned multiple times that I only agreed to having it looked at and I clearly mentioned that I am not responsible for any work performed on it. The buyer never mentioned having it returned to me which is what concerns me the most, if he was unhappy with it he should have just sent it back.

What I do not like is the fact that they said I should work out something with the buyer. What can we work out if he sent the watch out without my consent? If it's a misaligned GMT hand I don't believe it will be tough fix, but now there is a 3rd party involved and who knows what can go wrong.... Hopefully all will go fine...

16. Skipper_S Nov 11, 2020

They keep asking both (seller and buyer) to find a solution. That's how they treat disputes!

They will eventually release the money to you! Iam sure cause it happened to me one time (from the total of 15 times i used the platform for selling) cause a buyer changed his mind and he wanted to return the watch BUT he first sent it to a very expensive watchmaker and opened it so i refused to accept a return cause the watch was well described and was opened by a third party!

Don't accept a return!
    He cant hold the payment for ever!
    When the admins realize that there is nothing else that you can agree with the buyer they will credit the funds to your bank account.
    As i wrote above, a private seller is not obliged to accept a return.

17. Skipper_S Nov 11, 2020

Also a misaligned hand can be easily fixed in 3' and most watchmakers don't charge anything

18. ZIELSZIEK Nov 11, 2020

@Skipper_S Thank you for the answer, now all I can do is wait.

19. Scooterino36 Nov 11, 2020

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the chrono24 rules state that you can’t have the watch serviced/opened prior to payment without express consent from Chrono24? I would think he’s in violation of his buyer protection.

He sent the watch to Hamilton without your consent, that’s his watch now and he should pay up.

20. Skipper_S Nov 11, 2020

No problem my friend! Unfortunately yes, you have to wait :(
    They can't step in so quickly! They have to wait till they see there is no acceptable solution by both parties