Forums Latest Members
  1. Ttinbkk Jun 7, 2020

Hi all

Long time lurker joined earlier this year and been meaning to say hi, then a global pandemic happened...

Still meaning to intro myself properly but I’ve just found a watch I’ve been looking for for some time and had an urgent question before buying, if you guys could help?

The seller said the chrono hand doesn’t reset exactly to 12 o’clock so my question is:

- should this be a dealbreaker?
    - does it indicate any other problems with the watch?
    - if it is an issue can it be fixed in a service?

If the answer to the last question is yes then another detail is that the seller said he had it serviced last year, which is slightly odd but guess I can find out more later.

Thanks all in advance for help!!

Tom

2. Donn Chambers Jun 7, 2020

A lot more info is needed here in order to help. Is it mechanical or quartz? What is the brand and movement?

for instance, it is quite common for some quartz chronograph calibers to start resetting to a biased position, but there are also ways to recalibrate using the buttons. If the watch in question is quartz and has one of these calibers, It’s really a non-issue.

but if it is a mechanical watch, then it could be as simple as the watchmaker did not set the hands properly after a service. Another problem for a lot of mechanical chronos is the hour hand can “creep” off the zero register after resetting due to a worn or misaligned part (a spring, I think). But a service should fix most problems like this.

again, pictures and more info would make it easier to help diagnose the problem.

Ttinbkk, YY77 and Passover like this.
  3. Dan S Jun 7, 2020

As long as it resets to the same position each time, it will involve only a very minor adjustment.

Ttinbkk likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 7, 2020

The older they get, the more this can be an irritant to both owner and watchmaker. Yes it can be fixed.

Ttinbkk likes this.
  5. Ttinbkk Jun 9, 2020

Thanks all, much appreciated