Forums Latest Members
  1. lazythekid Jun 4, 2019

Hello!

First, thanks to all who contribute to this community as I've set out to learn about my new watch. I unexpectedly became a Speedmaster owner a few weeks ago after seeing one being sold on consignment by my local watchmaker. The watch was being sold by a retired watchmaker, and has been sitting in a safe since ~1990 after never being picked up following service by the former owner. There are some oddities to the watch, none of which could be recalled.

First, the case, movement and dial appear to be from a 1970 145.022-69. However, the caseback is from a 105.022 CB, the bracelet was a 1069 on 516 endlinks (since replaced w/ trapezoid 1171 by me), and then there's the chrono hand. After running through Google images and other sites, I have yet to be able to identify the hand. It looks similar to some old Seamaster chronos, but I haven't found a source yet. Overall, I think this all has worked in my favor as my watchmaker priced this interesting watch at an amount that allowed me to become a Speedmaster owner several years earlier than I had anticipated.

Does the chronograph hand look familiar to anyone?

2019-06-04 09.59.07 2.jpg 2019-06-04 09.59.07 1.jpg

Again, I appreciate the members and community here. This is my first vintage piece and have enjoyed learning the history.

Passover likes this.
  2. DotOverNine Jun 4, 2019

Hello. And welcome to the Speedmaster world!
    Don’t really dare to congratulate you right yet as i have no idea what you payed.
    Ref 145.022-69 seems correct to me aswell. Also bezel looks correct to me. I believe you matched movement serial somewhere?

The watch might have been delivered with the 1039 you mention, you wrote 1069, a typo i guess. I understand why you prefer to wear it with a 1171 instead. Done the same myself.

It should not be too hard to sell your caseback and source a correct one.

On your main question about the chrono hand ... i got no idea. I suggest you start looking for a correct one instead. A flat end chrono hand that is. Cheers!

lazythekid likes this.
  3. lazythekid Jun 4, 2019

Thanks for the response! The watchmaker and I looked up the serial on the movement and dated it to 1970. No typo, the bracelet really is a 1069, which appears to be a 19mm bracelet for the Seamaster that actually fits the watch and 516 endlinks well. I thought the 1171 w/ 633 would be a little more correct and bought the bracelet from a user here. I'm indeed on the lookout for a chrono hand; I think it'll be challenge to find a flat end with the darker patina, but I'm hoping one will pop up sometime soon. And in case anyone asks - I know that the 516 endlinks are hard to come by, but I'll be hanging onto them, thanks.

2019-06-04 03.21.01 1.jpg 2019-06-04 03.21.00 1.jpg
    Edited Jun 4, 2019