Choices… Omega Seamaster Professional 300m Quartz or?

I am torn. Need to decide on my Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer 300m Quartz or my Tag Heuer 6000 auto wind (ETA). I have worn vintage Tag Heuer Quartz for years and loved it. Thought an upgrade to auto wind would be ideal. But then the Omega has a charm to it even though it is not a full movement. But I need 3 or 4 links for the Omega to fit my wrist ( pricey). Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. I am a long time antique and fine art dealer with numerous quality timepieces under my belt… a ‘54 Submariner Pepsi Dial (original), a ‘54 Calatrava Patek Philippe, numerous Rolex Datejust. I am aware of the mottled finish on the hands and discoloration to the date, (included that for comparison condition info) but the operation is normal regardless so that’s not the issue. ( happy to accept referral for a reasonable overhaul of the movement if I keep it) Thanks
Edited:

Oh I forgot, the Omega needs 3 or 4 links to fit my wrist. Very pricey…

It also looks like the Omega has suffered a battery leak or water ingress. Is your question "which one do I get serviced?"

It also looks like the Omega has suffered a battery leak or water ingress. Is your question "which one do I get serviced?"
There is yes some prior water stains to the dates and the hands. But it is dry and operational as this time. So no to service.

There is yes some prior water stains to the dates and the hands. But it is dry and operational as this time. So no to service.
If I decide on the Omega I will replace all the seals.

But good point…

I would keep the Omega, but send it into Omega for a full service. It will cost you, but they will replace the hands, the date wheel, make sure the movement is good, and can add links.

I'm still confused about what you are asking, but if you are interested in having an automatic watch and you like the Omega, my opinion is that you should sell both of those watches and buy an auto-winding SM300. The Tag Heuer is dated and unappealing IMO, and the quartz SM300 isn't automatic and the condition is poor. A pre-owned automatic SM300 is easy to find and not terribly expensive, so you might as well have what you really want.

By "Submariner Pepsi Dial," I assume you mean that you had a ref 6542 GMT-Master with a bakelite Pepsi bezel? If so, too bad you didn't hold onto it. That would buy you 100 of these watches.
Edited:

Like 3
I would keep the Omega, but send it into Omega for a full service. It will cost you, but they will replace the hands, the date wheel, make sure the movement is good, and can add links.
Im leaning also towards keeping the Seamaster although I don’t need a diver per se. I’m afraid “Omega” service is too costly and exceeds the watch value. A new old stock movement would be optimal if cosmetics were a big issue. I’m content wearing it as it is and maybe replace the hands. Only a few numbers are stained on the calendar and the movement operates perfect. Thank you.

I'm still confused about what you are asking, but if you are interested in having an automatic watch and you like the Omega, my opinion is that you should sell both of those watches and buy an auto-winding SM300. The Tag Heuer is dated and unappealing IMO, and the quartz SM300 isn't automatic and the condition is poor. A pre-owned automatic SM300 is easy to find and not terribly expensive, so you might as well have what you really want.

By "Submariner Pepsi Dial," I assume you mean that you had a ref 6542 GMT-Master with a bakelite Pepsi bezel? If so, too bad you didn't hold onto it. That would buy you 100 of these watches.
Dan, good solid advice. I like the recommendation

Dan, good solid advice, and I’ll look at the SM300. Sorry can’t recall if it was a GMT ll but perhaps
, The vintage circa 1954 Rolex Submariner Pepsi was the model. Thanks, Robert
Dan, good solid advice. I like the recommendation

There was not a "Pepsi" Submariner to my knowledge. If you had a Pepsi bezel on a Submariner, it was probably transplanted.

And it would not have been a GMT II, just a GMT-Master in the 1950s. The GMT-Master II was introduced in the early 1980s, IIRC.

Im leaning also towards keeping the Seamaster although I don’t need a diver per se. I’m afraid “Omega” service is too costly and exceeds the watch value. A new old stock movement would be optimal if cosmetics were a big issue. I’m content wearing it as it is and maybe replace the hands. Only a few numbers are stained on the calendar and the movement operates perfect. Thank you.

A full service on a quartz Omega is $500 and the extra charge for hands, date wheel, and links would probably add another $250-$300. Watch would come back looking like new. Don’t know where you can find one in similar working condition for that price.

So, IMO, the cost of service does NOT exceed the watch value.

And you could probably find an independent to do it even cheaper.

Like 1
There was not a "Pepsi" Submariner to my knowledge. If you had a Pepsi bezel on a Submariner, it was probably transplanted.

And it would not have been a GMT II, just a GMT-Master in the 1950s. The GMT-Master II was introduced in the early 1980s, IIRC.
6542 is one see BIBS r.e.1954 PanAm Red & Blue Dial. Original dial. Well documented.

... a ‘54 Submariner Pepsi Dial (original) ...
Sorry can’t recall if it was a GMT ll but perhaps, The vintage circa 1954 Rolex Submariner Pepsi was the model. Thanks, Robert
6542 is one see BIBS r.e.1954 PanAm Red & Blue Dial. Original dial. Well documented.
You're a little confused, but not to worry, it's not relevant to this thread. :thumbsup:

As I mentioned, ref 6542 is a GMT-Master. Not Submariner, not GMT-Master II. Not red & blue dial, but red & blue bezel insert (Bakelite, and highly radioactive).

rolex1.jpg Well it's been about 16 years and I only had a partial image of the watch in my files. True should have said Bezel, not dial.

I am always amaze how much the Tags seem to go for on the second hand market. Then I am cheap when it comes to watches, where 100 bucks is the limit.

Back in the day when I could have afforded this design, I did not care for it. Too clunky. Then I am not really the sort of person these were marked to. Now I see the design has stood some test of time.

Service the Omega if you can. IMO you will not find a better watch. Quartz or mechanical.

rolex1.jpg Well it's been about 16 years and I only had a partial image of the watch in my files. True should have said Bezel, not dial.
That's an aluminum bezel insert, so possibly your 6542 had the original insert swapped out. The original Bakelite was extremely fragile and also highly radioactive. In fact, Rolex recalled them in the US.

A full service on a quartz Omega is $500 and the extra charge for hands, date wheel, and links would probably add another $250-$300. Watch would come back looking like new. Don’t know where you can find one in similar working condition for that price.

So, IMO, the cost of service does NOT exceed the watch value.

And you could probably find an independent to do it even cheaper.
True. Getting this serviced and fixed rather than replace the quartz movement. This will be a keeper. Thanks.