Check out my BUMPER! 352

Good day, Omega Fans,

I recently acquired a 1950's Omega Chronometre Seamaster, Caliber 352 (Bumper), CK 2577-8.
It has a waffle dial, signed crown, and appears to be running well.

I would like your opinion and welcome any info you may have on the case, caliber and dial?

My main concern is the movement looks oxidized/tarnished on the top, but very clean underneath.

All/any feedback welcome.
Edited:

congrats on your purchase, it looks like a really nice watch.
i think its a caliber 352.
may i ask how much you payed?

The dial is beautiful and the movement looks fine. Congratulations!

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase! I don't see 2577 Chronometers with that dial configuration so often. What we usually see is the inscription "Chronometre Officially Certified" next to Omega. Interesting dial with a very nice and regular patina.

The movement might not be looking stellar, and might have lost it's original copper colour, but it would not be a deal breaker for me.

Just for your information, though: 12475316 is the serial number of the watch, not the Ref. Number. The Ref. Number is CK 2577. The "variation" number after the dash is usually not that important. CK also means that the watch is stainless steel. Collectors would just call your watch a ref. 2577 chronometer grade.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the dial, since the configuration is a bit unusual and the "Automatic" and "Chronometre Officially Certified" fonts seem small, but, like @jeppe888 usually says, I am not an expert..

Maybe we can wait for more experienced members to chime in.

Best,

Rudi

The watch looks good to me. IMHO, all original.

Some of the pictures need some color correction. Watch looks more gold than steel, although I suspect it is all steel.

Nice pick-up.
gatorcpa

congrats on your purchase, it looks like a really nice watch.
i think its a caliber 352.
may i ask how much you payed?

I picked up 4 Seamasters for 4K U$D with A LOT of parts (service parts, crystals, gaskets and about 15 Crowns (ALL OEM)) for each. I plan to make a post for each one as they are all different, for example, an SM120 & Seamaster De Ville.

Stay tuned as I want to learn as much as possible about them.

Hi Mick and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your purchase! I don't see 2577 Chronometers with that dial configuration so often. What we usually see is the inscription "Chronometre Officially Certified" next to Omega. Interesting dial with a very nice and regular patina.

The movement might not be looking stellar, and might have lost it's original copper colour, but it would not be a deal breaker for me.

Just for your information, though: 12475316 is the serial number of the watch, not the Ref. Number. The Ref. Number is CK 2577. The "variation" number after the dash is usually not that important. CK also means that the watch is stainless steel. Collectors would just call your watch a ref. 2577 chronometer grade.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the dial, since the configuration is a bit unusual and the "Automatic" and "Chronometre Officially Certified" fonts seem small, but, like @jeppe888 usually says, I am not an expert..

Maybe we can wait for more experienced members to chime in.

Best,

Rudi

Good afternoon Rudi,
Thank you, for this information. I've edited my original post.

I agree with your thoughts on the chronometre text position and I'm yet to find another example. You make an interesting point regarding the text sizes Automatic Vs Chronometre, while they are consistent they differ in size slightly.

Is the Cal 352 a chronometer movement? or can you tell from the rotor/bumper text "Adjusted five (5) positions and temperatures".

I appreciate your comments and maybe @jeppe888 can add.

Mick

Some of the pictures need some color correction. Watch looks more gold than steel, although I suspect it is all steel.

Nice pick-up.
gatorcpa

Indeed the images are poor due to the warm light. The watch is all steel.

I will take better pictures later and upload them.

Hi Mick.

As far as I know, cal. 352 is always chronometer graded. There are other calibers, for example the 354, which can be both chronometer or not. But a cal 352 must show the text saying it was tested in multiple positions. If it doesn't, that would be an odd sign.

For the sake of comparison and future research regarding the dial: a shot of another similar example shared by the friend and collector @iamvr :

IMG-20210617-WA0008.jpg

Edit: I was still writing whilst you posted. You were faster 😉
Edited:

Lucky guy! Have always wanted a 352.

I think these pictures are better.

Nice pick-up.
gatorcpa

It's not uncommon for movements to lose their original plating, I wouldn't worry about it.

A few years ago I nearly bought a watch like the OP's - same text placement, also a waffle dial, but in a gold capped case.

Lovely watches.