Forums Latest Members

New (old) Speedy - Can you guys check-out my new watch?

1. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Hello Omega Forum!

I have become the owner of a Speedmaster Pro just this morning, and would love for you guys, as the online experts to have a look at the watch, and see if there is any reason why I shouldn't be happy :)
    It was as good as I could do with my budget, so I dont mind the "vintage" look, the watch has been well loved, but works well and was recently serviced. I just want to be sure that there is nothing obviously wrong, which merits me returning it while I have the 14 day money-back period to benefit from.

If there are any other helpful pics I could provide, please let me know. Other than opening the case-back (which I know might be helpful), I can take a shot of just about everything :)

Edit: just to be sure, a 77xxxxxx serial means 2005 right? :p

Any observations and helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance :) pics below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Feb 19, 2021
    Fish70, Pazzo, Mad Dog and 1 other person like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 19, 2021

It’s clearly pre-owned and the last owner hasn’t gone heavy handed with the polishing on it to make it look otherwise, which I tend to prefer as it gives you that choice when the time comes for service and there’s a certain freedom with owning a watch that has some minor scratches already as you don’t worry about it as much and won’t notice any new ones you put on it.

The watch is real and its a nice choice of an iconic sports watch.

duc, wagudc, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  3. gbesq Feb 19, 2021

Looks correct for the reference to me. There is some minor wear to the case, bracelet and clasp, which is to be expected. I see no signs of excessive polishing. I wouldn’t call this a “vintage” Speedmaster as the lume on the dial and hands is clearly superluminova and not tritium, but I assume that you used that term to mean that the watch has some signs of wear. A movement photo would be helpful. “Recently serviced” could mean anything. There’s a big difference between lubricating and regulating the movement and a full service which involves complete disassembly of the watch, cleaning, examining and replacing any worn parts, ultrasonic cleaning of the case and bracelet, replacement of gaskets, reassembly, pressure testing, lubricating and regulating the movement, and refinishing of the case, bracelet and crystal.

duc, wagudc and Mad Dog like this.
  4. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Right! That sounds goo :) It is definitely well-loved, but I don't mind, better very minimal to no polishing than to get rid of the original case design!

Thanks for the feedback!

5. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Hey! Thanks for the feedback!
    That is what I meant :) The watch is from the early 2000s and is definitely not "vintage" just well worn! I don't mind this at all, as I'd rather not be the first to put a scratch on it.
    The service was done by the seller that I bought it from - it is a large, well-known, seller with a team of certified watchmakers. I believe that the service is likely just a simple adjustment, and perhaps some oiling. But I cannot be sure, likely not much work done to the movement itself.

I simply wanted to be sure that the watch wasn't too polished, or where there were some dodgy things about it that would significantly reduce its value, or that aren't correct to it! Overall I trust the seller, as they are an international company with a good reputation, but I thought I'd check in with the experts :)

Thanks for your help!

6. Morseman Feb 19, 2021

Congratulations! And welcome to the Omega Forum.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 19, 2021

Nice piece but don’t call a luminova piece vintage LOL.

vbrad26 likes this.
  8. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Thanks man! ❤️❤️❤️

9. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Thanks man!

Of course, I said "vintage look", just meant to say that it was a bit beat up :)

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 19, 2021

Generally to have vintage look it will look like tritium or radium.
    You have a solid piece with a little wabi sabi!

11. Orinoco111 Feb 19, 2021

Lovely...enjoy!

12. Nacoga Feb 19, 2021

Thank you sir! ‍

13. Marsimaxam Feb 19, 2021

Very nice contemporary Speedmaster, and as many others have stated, it looks correct. Wear in good health, welcome to the Forum and enjoy your watch for years to come.

However, please refrain from calling anything from the 21st century "old" or "vintage", damn I feel so old, I mean, like antique old, really old.

Foo2rama likes this.
  14. gbesq Feb 19, 2021

For comparison purposes, here’s my 1996 Speedy which, at 25 years old, is just barely vintage. But you can see the difference between superluminova, which remains white forever, and tritium, which develops a nice patina as it ages. OP, I think that you did your homework and found a very nice example of a modern Speedy. Well done.
    3384354F-87DB-405F-8507-D323FC1FC75D.jpeg 4B5078C8-B4F7-48E8-A9F4-A6BF30CB4C9B.jpeg

Edited Feb 19, 2021
    duc and Foo2rama like this.
  15. wagudc Feb 19, 2021

It's great, you can wear the watch as it was intended. A classic watch, enjoy!

16. Rado63 Feb 20, 2021

It looks like for the age of the piece it is great condition. If you have it serviced at Omega, it would come back looking like new. Otherwise if it's running well, just enjoy it.

17. Nacoga Feb 20, 2021

Thank you everyone!

I really appreciate the feedback :) As I said, the idea was just to make sure everything checked out and that I wasn't sold something dodgy or where something was not right. I'll definitely be careful in how I used the word "vintage", to me the watch is obviously not vintage, my Chronographe Suisse from the 1950s is vintage, or my Omega Geneve from 73 is vintage, but this one is just a well-loved contemporary Speedy! :)

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and insights! I truly appreciate it, as well as the warm welcome to the forum!

All the best, and a lovely weekend to you all!

If any of you are interested, check my instagram @NCGwatches, where I share pics of all my collection, but also definitely will be sharing shots of this beautiful (NOT VINTAGE) Speedy :)

NCG

18. Nacoga Feb 20, 2021

Oh man! That this is beautiful :O
    They had a few models with the tritium lume where I purchased mine, and they were stunning, but a little bit over my budget :p

Wear it in good health and thanks for sharing! :)

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 20, 2021

Re the date of the OP watch: a Speedy on 77m could be from anywhere from around 2000 to circa 2012. You’d need the 3rd and maybe 4th digits to narrow it down. Most 3570.50s are on 77m, the earliest are on 48m (there was a big jump in the numbering) and there might be some on 78m but I am not sure about that as the model changed to the suitcase/screwed bracelet version around the same time as 78m rolled around.

Edited Feb 20, 2021
  20. Nacoga Feb 21, 2021

Ah interesting ! This particular watch has the pin/collar bracelet system. The serial number starts with 7708, would love to know what that might mean in terms of production year!