Forums Latest Members

Chasing your tail on a watch, my experience with the Omega X-33

1. mbp Mar 10, 2022

I recently acquired an Omega X-33, generation 2. This time, I'm going to hold on to it. I've owned this watch two times before and ended up selling it or trading it, only to buy it again. Each time I acquire it, I admire the peak-90's aesthetic but convince myself that deep-down, I am a mechanical watch guy and should stick to manual Speedmasters. I also convince myself that $2k (now, even more) is too much to pay for Quartz. But the astronaut cool-factor never changes.

Have any of you had a similar experience with any modern or vintage Omega models? I know a few members on here have sold and re-bought watches. Curious about your decisions and reasoning.

pdxleaf likes this.
  2. MPWATCH Watch Lover Mar 10, 2022

Replacing high condition watches is always a tough thing to do. I've bought back a few watches that I knew I'd probably never see again. Nothing wrong with finding that model you can't seem to get away from! I have fought for this watch out of a collection twice! Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69 ST

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 7.47.17 AM.png
    Mark Rick, mbp, apsm100 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Donn Chambers Mar 10, 2022

I purchased and sold three Speedmaster Pro models of various vintages (including a 321-based model) before I finally settled on the First Omega in Space edition, which I absolutely love. I always liked the idea of a Speedmaster, but could not get past the rather stark aesthetic of the white stick hands and the crown guards which made winding more difficult. I also never cared for the modern Speedmaster bracelet.

The FOIS edition did away with all of these things I didn’t like - almost like Omega designed it specifically for me!

4. mjb Mar 10, 2022

I've owned two Seamaster quartz watches, two or three Seamaster automatics and two Speedmasters. Don't even ask me about the Submariners.

Right now I have none of them. I wish I had my black Seamaster 300M (the one previous to the current gen) that was a mistake to let go. That one, and my first (14060M) Sub.

Sometimes you just don't realize how green the grass is over here.

5. pdxleaf ... Mar 10, 2022

I'd buy one back if I could. Unfortunately, the buyer is smarter than I was. I did buy back a vintage car once 3 years after selling it.

Reasons? Some things aren't rational. I sold mine in a fit of rationality, making what seemed to be an adult decision. It was so nice I knew I'd probably never find another like it, which has proved to be true. Of course my irrational watch collector side now kicks my rational side.

There's something to be said for letting something go to know if it was ever truly yours. If it comes back, then it was meant to be. There are a lot of different, nice watches. Sometimes its hard knowing what you really like and going through your experience of selling and buying back helps to clear your head. Unfortunately, it can also clear your wallet.

Paedipod likes this.
  6. mbp Mar 10, 2022

Yes, it can definitely clear the wallet.

7. mbp Apr 19, 2022

Well, I thought I would update you all. I purchased another X-33 (generation 2) and wore it occasionally at work. Loved it. Then I started feeling like I was neglecting my CK2998 pulsometer, so I set the X-33 aside. It hasn't been worn for weeks now and I've been toying with the idea of selling it. I listed it and withdrew it a few weeks ago. I just know that I'll end up chasing my tail on this watch again and end up purchasing one that isn't in as good condition as this one is. Frustrated.

8. savka Apr 19, 2022

Seeing as this thread was started on 10 March, things seem to be moving fairly fast... Maybe give it some more time?

mbp and Landerhoffis like this.