Forums Latest Members

Omega Speedmaster Professional Japan Racing Model (ref. 3570.40) - My Experience

1. Pogo83 May 14, 2016

Hi All,

This is my second true post in this forums and it’s rather long. Before going any further, I’d just like to take the opportunity to thank all of you for freely sharing your knowledge on this fantastic globally accessible platform.

I thought I’d share a bit about my recent experience of purchasing an Omega Speedmaster Professional Japan Racing dial model (ref 3570.40). I’ve actually been thinking really hard on whether to post this for concern that every single one of my thoughts, decisions or actions be scrutinized by the at least several hundred years of combined experience in horology here. But hey, there’s no love like tough love, so here goes.

*DISCLAIMER* - This is post is by no means to rant or discredit anyone. It’s purely my experience and I thought that it might be worthwhile sharing. I’d also like to get some advice.

So in my earlier post a couple of weeks back, I mentioned a bit about my watch collecting experience, or lack thereof. Long story short, I bought a Speedy Reduced and realized that it might be a little small for my liking. By chance a 3570.40 Speedy turned up and was being sold by a reputable seller (those trawling the forums / eBay daily might have caught sight of it). It was a really spontaneous moment (I really had a tough time explaining this to the wife). The watch was a real killer in terms of looks and the “like new” condition as per the description. It also had the correct looking warranty card from an AD and correct serial number range. Even though the wooden box was absent, I made an offer. The counter-offer was promptly received and I was told there were already several offers already! I let it brew for a night and accepted it the next morning. And then, it was mine! I really didn’t think too much of questioning the seller on the condition etc. because I’ve purchased from him before and the description was spot on (if not more conservative) the last time.

Oh, I did write an e-mail to Omega to verify the serial numbers to which I received the following response (really quickly I might add):-

Dear Mr. X,
    We thank you for your request regarding an OMEGA Speedmaster Japon watch which you intend to purchase.
    Following your message, we understand that you would like to be sure that it is genuine OMEGA.
    In this respect, we would like to point out the each OMEGA watch is identified with an 8-digit serial number on the case. The 8-digit serial number is also written on the OMEGA International warranty card. The OMEGA International warranty card is given to you by the authorized OMEGA retailer at the purchase of the watch.
    The serial number 77132XXX you provided us with corresponds to the following model:

Reference: 3570.40.00
    Model: OMEGA Speedmaster Moonwatch Japon
    Calibre: 1861

IMG_6479.JPG

IMG_6480.JPG
    1.5 weeks later, nervously, I picked the watch up from the post office, gave it a wind up and noted some issues which led to my first post. After some feedback from the forums and sleuthing online, I realized those concerns were unfounded. What I did find however when I had a quiet evening to thoroughly inspect the watch was that it was most likely polished and refurbished at some point. Looking at the brushed surface on the bottom right lug (from chrono reset pusher to the edge), it has some wavy pattern that is not really noticeable except when the watch is rotated and the light shifts (my wife, who is already used to my OCD tendencies didn’t even see it despite my pointing it out to her). All other surfaces are what I would expect it to be.

IMG_6477.JPG

IMG_6483.JPG

To be fair to the seller, when I brought the matter up, he promptly offered to take the watch back for a full refund. There then started my issues with the postal service in the country where I’m currently residing in. The postal service here is best left to deliver greeting cards or junk mail (it’s actually a miracle the 2 watches I bought arrived at all!). I trust FedEx, DHL, TNT or UPS more and since they offered some form of insurance, I was willing to part with some cash to return via those companies. But unfortunately, the seller didn’t accept those as it would be a hassle to clear customs since he didn’t have an Omega import license (I’ve heard of some cases where watches are sold to Europe and the customs there destroys them). He’d most likely need to pay duty for the return item as well! My postal service had some form of express delivery but no insurance. I was not willing to chance this and so after almost 2 weeks on and plenty of communication between the seller and I, he eventually suggested a solution where I still ended up keeping the watch (those 2 weeks were really a mental battle as part of me really wanted to keep it, whilst the other really desired a “perfect” collector’s piece).

I was really expecting a “like new” condition, highly collectible watch and because of this detail, there is a little bit of remorse on my part. The lesson I learnt here is never to be too excited at purchasing a watch without due diligence (duh!!), irrespective of the seller’s reputation because mint condition to one person may not mean the same to another. It does however help to deal with someone reputable because they may still go out of their way to resolve any issues.

Meanwhile, what does the forum think I should do about the watch case? Is it even an issue? Should I leave it as it is or should I get it polished by Omega? If I did send it in to Omega, would they be able to bring back the brushed surface without affecting the lug thicknesses too much?

Thanks for your time.

PS: I’ve not worn the watch yet since the bracelet sizing is too large. I’m just waiting for a strap I bought from Hodinkee, which is currently LOST in the mail system (this sort of vindicates my decision not to take a chance with uninsured shipping).

Kim, WatchWalker, Supah and 2 others like this.
  2. Bushido May 14, 2016

First, thank you for posting your thoughts, internal dialogue, and what you're struggling with on this purchase. My honest opinion is that the watch looks pretty great. Especially for one manufactured 12yrs ago. I completely understand the nervousness and angst that goes with making a large purchase and wishing everything to be utterly perfect. However, those feelings must be tempered by the objective understanding that you are buying a pre-owned watch. Perfection disappeared the moment the first owner took it out of the box.

If you are absolutely needing flawless, your only option is going to an AD and scrutinizing a potential piece which is brand new until satisfied. For a used watch more than a decade old, I think you've done quite well with this acquisition. While I can see the "wavy lines" you highlighted, they're minimal and I couldn't imagine them being visible under most circumstances. I'm not an expert on this model but everything else looks good to my novice eye.

If you need further peace of mind, you could always take it into an Omega qualified watch professional and have them evaluate. If this was me, from what I can see, I would already be satisfied.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2016

Are you planning on actually wearing the watch? If so your worried about nothing just enjoy the watch. Unless you plan on wrapping your arm in bubble wrap to prevent and wear on the watch when you wear it.

4. lillatroll May 14, 2016

As said, if you want a perfect watch buy new and put it in a draw,take it out now and again to look at it and put it away again. When you send the watch off for a service the bracelet will be polished and will come back looking like new. Its a nice looking watch as it is, enjoy it and don't worry about the odd scratch or dink.:)

gmc1971, zobbified and Foo2rama like this.
  5. friendharry May 14, 2016

Ok, after such a long email and so much stress for you, one advice: buy new, you're not ready for vintage watches

6. Pogo83 May 22, 2016

Many thanks for your replies. It does put my mind somewhat at ease reading some other forums that suggest sending the watch to Bienne would be able to refinish the case to almost factory new. That might be something I would consider in the future. Meanwhile, I do intend to wear the watch...sometimes. It'll be a watch for special occasions, considering it is a limited edition.

My daily beater would be the Speedy Reduced.

7. robocaspar May 22, 2016

Quick question, are the dial and second hand red or orange? Very nice pick up btw!

8. Pogo83 May 22, 2016

Hi robocasper, they are orange. The orange is showing up darker than what it is in real life.

9. MTROIS May 22, 2016

I can understand where you come from, especially if you were expecting to have bought a collector's item, but in that case, why did you buy it if it did not come with the wooden box?
    I have a hard time to see the issue in your pics, but the watch sure looks a stunner.
    Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

10. rcs914 May 24, 2016

This model is one I've wanted for years - although I would probably be just fine with a 3570.50 with a redial and hand change (ideally a 3572.50 - can kill two birds with one stone that way). For me the appeal isn't in its limited nature and I would't really care that it was "original" as long as it was an actual OEM dial and hands. Congrats on your purchase, and as others have said - it's not a new watch - just in very nice shape.

11. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. May 25, 2016

Great looking watch in my opinion and I agree with others here who have said that with a 'vintage' watch you need to be kind to yourself in not dwelling on imperfections. Once you get it on a really nice strap I'm sure you'll be 'talking to it' affectionately - I know I would be!

12. kurtj29 May 25, 2016

Your wife is the expert here. You have OCD - you are disqualified from making sound judgements on the quality or condition of the watch. Wear it until YOU put a nice mark on it, cry about it, then forget about it and enjoy that very nice watch.

Aluurchin likes this.
  13. Reborn Jun 30, 2018

I agree that you are not ready for vintage watch collecting... you appear quite stressed by the whole experience, and I suspect the seller is too :)

Edited Jun 30, 2018
  14. gmc1971 Jun 30, 2018

Some of us could only wish to have those kinds of "problems" with a pre-driven watch.

15. ICONO Jun 30, 2018

This post is TWO years old…

The OP has NOT been seen,… for a year !

If you are going to resurrect the Dead…Try to ensure, it is topical

airansun, Toishome, kov and 1 other person like this.
  16. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2018

Well, it does explain his screen name of "Reborn". :p

Foo2rama likes this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Jun 30, 2018

Lots of slightly odd posts from this new member... dragging up old threads and adding... strange comments.

motomike and Ree like this.
  18. ICONO Jun 30, 2018

Well……162 posts, in 17 Days,… is certainly industrious…

Toishome likes this.
  19. abrod520 Jun 30, 2018

Can't wait to see what he'll have up for sale the minute he hits 200

Toishome likes this.
  20. Reborn Jun 30, 2018

My bad, I shall be more mindful, about the date of the original post, I honestly did not notice the date.