changes on seamaster 300

Hi guys,

its my first post on this sweet forum :).

I have two omega seamaster 300, one is 2019 and the second was bought 3 months ago. I called the boutique about my new watch because i noticed some changes (the lady told me my watch is 4th generation of smpc). It seems that they make bigger crown and the bezel facture engraving is a bit different (less deep). I noticed also they changed ceramic ball bearings on the rotor and put the steel one, for now its less noisy than my older model. Do someone has the same steel bearings ? I am wondering when they changed it. My serial number starts from A... so it was produced from the new production but saw some smpc with number A0-20000 with ceramic bearings.

kind regards

Edited:

Like 1
I noticed also they changed ceramic ball bearings on the rotor and put the steel one, for now its less noisy than my older model. Do someone has the same steel bearings ? I am wondering when they changed it.

August of 2023...

Like 3
August of 2023...
Thank you sir :). Do you know if the bearings are also antimagnetic like ceramic one ?

Thank you sir :). Do you know if the bearings are also antimagnetic like ceramic one ?

Nothing is mentioned in that regard...

Ok so better no check with magnets :D. Thank you very much sir. Now I know everything :)

Like 1
I did not know that the magnetic properties of the rotor bearings was an issue. The most common industrial bearing material is a chrome steel called 52100 and that is magnetic. Any ss bearings I imagen is made of hardened martensitic stainless steel, witch is also magnetic,. I hope this helps in some way, and as always; I am a mechanic not a watch maker.

Like 1
Quoted member hen
I did not know that the magnetic properties of the rotor bearings was an issue. The most common industrial bearing material is a chrome steel called 52100 and that is magnetic. Any ss bearings I imagen is made of hardened martensitic stainless steel, witch is also magnetic,. I hope this helps in some way, and as always; I am a mechanic not a watch maker.

The 8800 movement is antimagnetic like other modern co-axials, so I don't know what difference magnetic bearings would actually have on the watch.

Like 1
The 8800 movement is antimagnetic like other modern co-axials, so I don't know what difference magnetic bearings would actually have on the watch.
The ceramic bearings after some time made the rotor noisy, maybe that’s the reason they changed it (and that’s true they are not antimagnetic). TBH I think the change don’t have any influence on antimagnetism and working of the rest of cal 8800.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but its the balance spring that`s negatively affected by magnetism. Are there other parts of a watch as well?

Quoted member hen
Please correct me if I am wrong, but its the balance spring that`s negatively affected by magnetism. Are there other parts of a watch as well?
I don’t know really but everything is anti except the bearings so I don’t think the spring will be affected negatively by this because the bearings are not magnets as itself :D
Edited:

Sir I' ve got last question. Does the omega make a bit bigger crown and the shorter crownguards after august 2023 ? Its easier to wind it by hand and easier to screw down now than the previous version i've had.

Sir I' ve got last question. Does the omega make a bit bigger crown and the shorter crownguards after august 2023 ? Its easier to wind it by hand and easier to screw down now than the previous version i've had.

To answer that I would need the exact reference you have...

Quoted member hen

Well, anything that can be magnetized can be affected. The real question is, does that impact the operation of the watch. The only impact magnetism is likely to have on the bearing, is a reduction in winding efficiency. But many watches use steel ball bearings and have no issues in this regard, so it's not likely a worry.

Magnetism can have different effects - in chronographs they can cause some unusual movements of the hands on starting for example, but the balance spring and escapement are where the biggest impact is.

Like 4
To answer that I would need the exact reference you have...

210.32.42.20.01.001 4th gen. The crown works better on new one and it’s seems like it have a bit different placement/or different angle of crownguard. It’s easier to screw down then my previous one from 2019 year. I saw photos of summer blue diver 300 and it look very similar to it.
Edited:

Well, there have been 2 difference case references for that model.

055CCZ009260, which uses crown 069STZ009292.

And...

055Z016872, which uses crown 069Z016784.

The first one above is the later case - no information on when the change was made, but there have been two different versions, so it's quite possible this has changed between your last watch and this one.

Well, there have been 2 difference case references for that model.

055CCZ009260, which uses crown 069STZ009292.

And...

055Z016872, which uses crown 069Z016784.

The first one above is the later case - no information on when the change was made, but there have been two different versions, so it's quite possible this has changed between your last watch and this one.

thank you for help. Mine is from the 08.2023 production (steel bearings) so that will be the answer. Serial number was A07… so it was the new production. Thank you one more time for answers and informations :).
Ps- can you check it exactly if I tell you whole serial number ?:)

thank you for help. Mine is from the 08.2023 production (steel bearings) so that will be the answer. Serial number was A07… so it was the new production. Thank you one more time for answers and informations :).
Ps- can you check it exactly if I tell you whole serial number ?:)

Not sure it will tell me anything specific with regards to the case. The Omega Extranet is primarily for identifying spare parts for repair, and it assumes that I have the watch in front of me, and can simply look inside the case back to determine what case it is. I doubt the serial number would just give me one case number, but if you PM it to me, I'll try...

Quoted member hen

Yes, this debate comes up occasionally with some of the earliest coaxials that had a silicon hairspring but the rest of the movement was not antimagnetic. I believe Archer has commented that it is possible for some of these watches to become magnetized in other ways but that that is very difficult.

In this case I doubt the bearings would have any impact on the rest of an antimagnetic movement.

Like 1
You understand that the watch has been certified by METAS? That means the movement and the whole watch can withstand a magnetic field of at least 15000 Gauss/1.5Tesla. That is why it says Master Chronometer on the dial.

You understand that the watch has been certified by METAS? That means the movement and the whole watch can withstand a magnetic field of at least 15000 Gauss/1.5Tesla. That is why it says Master Chronometer on the dial.
Thank you, I know that, just asking about bearing if they steel or ceramic :). Now I know everything :)