Forums Latest Members

CHANGE MY MIND: The Modern Rolex brand is garbage

1. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

With all of the Rolex waitlists that are actually used just to give preferred customers the desirable watches, Rolex becoming a status accessory instead of an actual good watch, and how UK and European dealers de-value the watches by taking stickers off and keeping warranty cards, please give me some reason why I should think of Rolex as an okay brand. I currently believe I will never want to help this disgusting scheme of feeding greedy dealers by buying a Rolex, no matter what. However, I want to make my stance less extreme, so if you could give me some of your thoughts on why you like the *modern* Rolex brand, that would be highly appreciated!

2. septentrio Aug 6, 2019

‘please give me some reason why I should think of Rolex as an okay brand.’

Why would we want to do that? It does not appear a matter of life or death to me. Time to put things in perspective.

3. WYO_Watch Aug 6, 2019

Spend some time looking at brand history and compare to some you like. I think you’ll find that companies emulate each other in many ways (including a drive for profit). Regardless, there are lots of perspectives on watch brands and preference for performance and appearance, not sure there is a right answer or a way. Not am I convinced your mind could be changed.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/i-d...e-what-am-i-missing.95204/page-8#post-1297071

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sub-mariner-article.99129/#post-1291564

https://omegaforums.net/threads/are-omega-watches-overpriced.98991/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/thank-you-rolex-tudor.91872/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/from-vintage-speedy-to-modern-rolex.78166/

https://omegaforums.net/threads/finally-a-rolex-product-i-like.74556/ (If you like spoons)

chronoboy64 and Decrin like this.
  4. gbesq Aug 6, 2019

I certainly wouldn’t characterize Rolex as garbage. They make an exceptional product and their brand recognition is second to none. What I would say is that Rolex is very slow to change and innovate, that many of their offerings are a bit gaudy and certainly overpriced, and that their practices of restricting the supply of new watches and not returning parts from watches that they service are absolutely infuriating. I think that Omega makes a product that is largely comparable to Rolex, has superior styling, and is more reasonably priced. Omega has a design and production philosophy that emphasizes continuous innovation and improvement and is outpacing Rolex in the introduction of new technology. Omega’s coaxial escapement and METAS certification are good examples.

Edited Aug 6, 2019
  5. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

True, I often get caught up in things, and the phrase "why do you need a watch anyway?" is a good way to come back to what's important

septentrio likes this.
  6. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

Yeah, I crossed the line with the "garbage" title. If it didn't start with a great watch, Rolex would be nowhere near where they are now. I'm more irritated with how the watches are handled and the modern brand philosophy.

7. Canuck Aug 6, 2019

I have a collection of Rolex watches. I like them! Why should I waste my time trying to change your mind about Rolex? Some people convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. Which brand name next will receive your blithering diatribe?

8. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

Thank you for the links, I'll look into it! I think the modern philosophy is kind of a different entity in comparison to their history, but maybe their history has paved the way for their new ideology. I don't yet know enough about it, but as said, I'll look into it.

9. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

In all honesty, you shouldn't, but I appreciate you telling me how irrational I was being. I was deep in the rabbit-hole of everything that's wrong with Rolex and how they're destroying the industry and yadda yadda. I just needed something to kind of relax and see what the brand actually is, and how what they're doing is fairly similar to other brands I like. Anyway, thank you for teaching me a new word!

10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 6, 2019

"Rolex becoming a status accessory instead of an actual good watch"

With all due respect, I don't understand this comment. Rolex can be a status accessory and a good watch - these attributes are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

And why is Rolex not an "actual good watch"? Sure, the prices of Rolex can be debated and whether they provide good value, but that can be said of most luxury items. I haven't heard the argument that they don't make a good watches very often.

11. JwRosenthal Aug 6, 2019

I own 3 Rolex’s, all vintage. I use an independent watchmaker for service. I have no need for the “experience” of buying a new watch from any boutique- I just want the watch, not a lifestyle.

Rolex makes a fine watch- I don’t think they are incredibly rare or special- especially if you look at the sheer number of watches they have produced over the years. They have been expert at marketing, making everyone beleive that a Rolex is exclusive and rare- like Debeers with diamonds, but they are not.

No reason to hate on the product, the watches are well made, styling is classic if you stick with the traditional designs (albeit long in the tooth and how many variations on the same theme can we see!!!). The current market is insane. I have no clue what’s going on but unless you are a brand loyalist with an inside tracks best to just stand back and let it all play out until things get sorted.

12. Decrin Aug 6, 2019

I tried to say how they're focusing more on being a status symbol than being a watch manufacturer, but the way I phrased it was wrong. In my emotional rant, I also thought the lack of innovation must mean that their designs and movements are outdated and in comparison with todays market, worse. This didn't take in consideration that you don't need to innovate if everythings fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it, so to say.

13. Rochete Aug 6, 2019

Rolex are good watches. That's all. Not special, not extraordinary, not the best. Good watches as many other brands. They are absolute geniuses at marketing, that's what takes to make the world believe you will reach the pinnacle of success in life next second you wear one. Like the touch of God or something, accordingly priced.

Decrin likes this.
  14. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 6, 2019

Understood. Rolex makes a good watch but are exceptional marketers. Every large watch manufacturer dreams of having the brand awareness of Rolex. I own a single Rolex (GMT Master ll) and never for a moment regretted purchasing it. De-blinged it with a rubber strap and it's one of the most wearable watches I own.

Omega would never be opportunists and hype a good, but not exceptional watch purely to drive sales figures, like say for instance, the Speedmaster ;) (all in good fun, I've got a couple of Speedies so I get it)

Decrin likes this.
  15. duc Aug 6, 2019

"Blithering" or "diatribe"? ;)

Decrin likes this.
  16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 6, 2019

what an absolutely childish tirade.

go buy yourself a nice Timex, you'll feel better.

or better yet, use your cellphone.

17. F83 Aug 6, 2019

What? Ok here we go...

- Their watches are exceptional. Fit and finish. Durability. Accuracy. Not the most complicated or luxurious but excellent all around.
    - The brand is instantly recognizable globally. More than any other watch by a long margin. You can decide if you like that or not but its a fact
    - Re-sale value is basically as good as it gets. A Rolex (especially steel sports) is basically like cash - you can always get your money back
    - They are a charitable trust - much of their profits helps underprivileged kids attend school. Not true of any other watch brand.

Ever heard of the Rolex curve? People are into Rolex when they know almost nothing about watches, then decide they don't like them when they learn more about watches, then fall in love again when they learn more deeply about watches. You come full circle. That happened with me. Maybe it will happen with you.

18. KingCrouchy Aug 8, 2019

"- They are a charitable trust - much of their profits helps underprivileged kids attend school. Not true of any other watch brand."

Just to make this clear, Rolex aren't the white Knights of the Watch World. They are legally a "charitable trust" but their actions don't always follow that pattern, (like most charitable trusts in Switzerland).
    Rolex Invests a lot in real estate, and are one of the biggest owner of real estate in Geneva. The founding Family does also take a good chunk, in a way or another. Yes, they do charitable actions from time to time, especially in the City of Geneva, but they are a business after all.

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 8, 2019

Bet you're regretting this post, huh? From some of the responses, I would have thought I accidentally logged on to the Rolex Forum. Of course you would have been immediately banned and the thread deleted so be glad you're on OF, where you're free to ask such questions.

Decrin and JwRosenthal like this.
  20. JwRosenthal Aug 8, 2019

Johns Hopkins is the largest employer and land owner in my city (a rat infested, disgusting city in which we all live in hell according to the Cheeto king with the onion loaf on his head- he’s just bitter we wouldn’t let him build a gaudy hotel here). Their contributions to medical science are second to none, their global reputation as a premier hospital is beyond reproach, they are a benefactor to dozens of charitable organizations and are tax excempt as a not-for-profit organization....not for profit my ass. Everyone who lives here knows how they hold the city ransom for their agenda, their methods of forcing eminent domain to acquire property from legal owners not willing to sell...a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Nathan1967 and Dsloan like this.