Forums Latest Members
  1. TimeODanaos Feb 28, 2020

Hello OF - I'd be grateful for quick views please from Those Who Know This Stuff. I currently have the opportunity of buying a modest "Certina" with the KF320B movement. My reckoning is that it dates from 1945. This was during the manufacture's (frankly protracted) transition from "Grana" to "Certina" branding, which started well before the 1938 trademark registration of Certina, and I think finished in 1949. And finally, even the company name became Certina in 1955.
    I mention all that because, notwithstanding, all other K320B examples I have seen have "Certina" inscribed on the movement's bridgework. This one does not - it has the calibre and a serial, but no branding, whether "Kurth Freres" or "Grana" or whatever.
    I am satisfied that the parts are original. This suggests that in a less brand-conscious age, they simply didn't get round to signing the movement. (Maybe they were still unsure what their name was!)
    Given the Certina/KF 1940s context, does this make sense, please?
    Thanks!

2. Walrus Feb 28, 2020

Do you have pictures of the watch? Often that helps and people respond quicker

3. TimeODanaos Feb 28, 2020

Thanks for replying - no pics yet, but I did think about that: conclusion was, if ever any query probably didn't need one, it was this one! Here though are a couple of pics of the very similar movement KF320 grabbed from the web (apologies to owners), one with "Certina", one without:
    [ KF 320 (NOT 320B) with Certina.jpg KF320 (NOT 320B) without Certina.jpg ]
    I think that @bardamu has this movement - comments welcome!

4. TimeODanaos Mar 18, 2020

Still interested in this issue - I'd be really grateful if @alinghi74 (MoC) wanted to give an opinion, please.

5. redpcar Mar 18, 2020

Not sure what you are really asking. The watch you are looking at has absolutely no marking? Not even KF 320?

6. TimeODanaos Mar 18, 2020

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse - thanks for replying. Yes, KF320B is present, but not "Certina" or the predecessor brand names. I have a picture now, I'm glad to say - hoping it looks pretty legit... :rolleyes::unsure:

15.jpg

7. Dan S Mar 18, 2020

The fact that the different bridges have different colors and finishes doesn't fill me with confidence. But I doubt you'll ever know for sure. Perhaps a repair was done in the past to keep the watch functional using parts from a spare movement. It happens. Since this is a "modest" watch, maybe you can just live with some uncertainty if you like the watch otherwise.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  8. SportChief Mar 18, 2020

There might be a marking under the balance wheel that could point to it being a Certina movement or not. I have a 1950s Certina watch with "Certina Kurth Freres" on the dial. It also has a 320 movement, but a bit of an odd one. It is marked Certina on one of the plates in script and has 17 jewels. All other 320 movements I've seen had either 15 or 16 jewels, so perhaps Certina made a wide variety of variations on this movement for different purposes.

TimeODanaos likes this.
  9. TimeODanaos Mar 18, 2020

Thanks, yes, it's really nice, and I think I'm resolved. Will post on "Vintage Certinas" thread soon! :thumbsup:

Dan S likes this.