Forums Latest Members

Ceramic PO - Strap Change Question

1. Hands90 Feb 10, 2020

Anyone change straps on their Ceramic PO's (Deep Black Series)?

Lately I've been looking into trading one of my watches for a Deep Black PO but I'm not a fan of the strap.
    Is the case likely to chip from changing straps?
    Anyone change straps on the watch, if so can I have a few photos!

If I end up with one it will mostly be living on a nato, that way I can change straps often without worry of any damage.

2. RARJ Feb 10, 2020

I picked up a PO Deep Black last May and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Like you I was not a fan of the factory strap so I was keen on simply being able to install the black rubber strap that was meant for the 8500 PO cases. I figured this would work because the gator and rubber band that comes on the Sedna gold Deep Black fits my CeraGold PO (and is a great alternative to the factory gator and calfskin installed).

Nope, doesn't fit. Not by a long shot. The gator/rubber backed strap that comes on the Sedna gold DB is a great option and I ended up picking up a couple of those (I'll try and find a pic). It makes the watch look a little "dressier" if that's possible for this piece.

So, back to the drawing board. What I didn't like about the factory BD strap was the contrast white stitching - so, I removed it and re-stitched the strap with a heavy gauge black nylon. Looks awesome! (if I do say so myself).

PO Deep Black.jpg

I'll track down (or take) a couple more pics later (wearing a speedy today).

As far as strap changes go - I haven't bunged up the case yet. In fact you'd be hard pressed to find a single hairline scratch anywhere on the case and I've put it through its paces (two bachelor parties, sever flights, the gym, the pool, etc).

I also picked up the nylon/leather backed all black Omega NATO but I haven't bothered even using it yet because I like this option so much now. I haven't tried any other NATO options just yet but your question has now made me temped to play around a bit! I'll post some pics if/when I do.

Wetworks and Hands90 like this.
  3. Hands90 Feb 10, 2020

Thank you so much for the info. I heard the same about scratches. It draws me to the watch more.

4. RARJ Feb 10, 2020

It's very easy to fall in love with this watch. I would argue that you probably don't need a GMT function on a dive watch but I've actually found it handy while travelling and dealing with clients/vendors in other countries (because who really wants the headache of basic addition and subtraction right?).

5. Bushido Feb 10, 2020

I would not worry about changing straps on any of the Omega ceramic watches. I own several and have changed the straps multiple times. All of them look just like they did when I picked them up from the AD. My only suggestion, which is obvious, don't use a spring bar tool like a crowbar and you're worry free!

This pic is from when I swapped out the rubber strap for OEM NATO on the ceramic SM:
    IMG_20190423_125751.jpg

Wetworks and Hands90 like this.
  6. RARJ Feb 11, 2020

Brave move doing it on a granite/stone counter top. That's the only thing that gives me any pause with my deep black is toying with it above certain counter tops or ceramic tiling.

7. funkright Feb 11, 2020

Those are blasphemous words if ever I heard :p

GMT complication is the only really useful complication needed, well, outside of the time and date... That said, I just can't 'get' watches that have a GMT complication and NO date window or indicator... Panerai has a few of these and I just think ::facepalm2::

8. RARJ Feb 12, 2020

That's a really good point actually and something I've never considered. I would have just assumed that the date function was a given with GMT's. Makes me look at other GMT's I've seen in such a different light now.