Forums Latest Members

Caught a Rolex GMT 1675 with Silver Dial

1. erpin9 Dec 22, 2020

Thanks Fred. I will do that or maybe i can send the watch to him so he can do a more in-depth study.

2. erpin9 Dec 26, 2020

Merry Christmas to all

ATWG, janice&fred and southtexas like this.
  3. rootbeer7 Dec 27, 2020

I agree, there are some incredibly knowledgeable people there and you are not likely to be flamed even if dial provenance is unclear. In a different league, but my wife has a 1980s Tudor mini-Sub with an odd dial. Within a a day or so it became clear it was an unusual service dial, after I posted it asking for opinions. I’m also following this on trf.

erpin9 likes this.
  4. janice&fred Dec 27, 2020

Mayong Pasko :thumbsup:

erpin9 likes this.
  5. erpin9 May 17, 2022

I have posted the watch at the VRF and one of the experts, Xeramic stated that in his opinion the dial is authentic. I am posting the link to the thread at VRF below.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vintagerolexforum/my-rolex-gmt-1675-pcg-silver-dial-t266655.html

I am also bringing the watch to the heritage department in Rolex Geneva this end of May for a service quote and lets see what they have to say. If they accept it for servicing, it means the whole watch is authentic.

watchyouwant likes this.
  6. cvalue13 May 17, 2022

Asking genuinely: is this true?

I assume you would never actually submit the watch for a service with Rolex, and so short of that I am unsure that Rolex simply saying it would take the watch in for a service would itself be validation?

Meanwhile, just re-reading the thread I noticed something missing…

dibs :thumbsup:

[EDIT: just read the VRF thread to see your discussions about the Rolex heritage department authentication]

Edited May 17, 2022
    erpin9 likes this.
  7. OneTwo May 17, 2022

Great find and I hope you find out it's authentic but either way it's a great looking watch! I'm curious though if Rolex has a similar practice as Omega that when they service a vintage watch, they almost always redial the watch back to how it left the factory. Did they give any hint as to their practice for vintage models regarding the dials?

Edited May 17, 2022
    erpin9 likes this.
  8. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 17, 2022

To clarify, the Rolex Heritage Department is not to be confused with a typical RSC. Very different beasts.

9. OneTwo May 17, 2022

Ah got it, I'm a novice at best when it comes to Rolex so I appreciate the clarification! Much appreciated @Scarecrow Boat

erpin9 likes this.
  10. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 17, 2022

There remains some mystery around the Heritage Department as I said above, it’s a completely different beast. However, you can get an idea of how it operates via VRF/TRF- here is a snippet I found on that forum from another member

Edited May 17, 2022
  11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 18, 2022

Member Xeramic might be one of the most knowledgeable active members. I've conferred with him on and off and did a few deals in Private. Eric is very well connected and has access to sources, not many will ever have. To me, your Dial looks authentic. Keep us posted. Kind regards from Australia. Achim

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe May 18, 2022

Always enjoying the discussions on forums about what's authentic and what was never made by certain brands...
    Realizing, most people don't have a clue what Rolex really can do ( and did ) for VIP clients such as Royalty & Jewelry house Cartier :whistling:

erpin9 likes this.
  13. emilio May 18, 2022

Exactly my experience.

Contacted him twice for a watch which was for sale somehwere else (or which I allready bought) and he really likes to share his knowledge with an other. Very nice guy!

watchyouwant and erpin9 like this.
  14. erpin9 May 20, 2022

I have dealt with the Heritage Department before when i brought my 6542 GMT with red writing. A technian will inspect the watch first inside out before they decide to accept or reject the watch for a service quote. Mind you the service quotation is not cheap. You are paying them to disassemble and inspect the whole watch before they come up with a quotation and i was charged i think about $2k. It will take them 90 days to come with the quote but i got mine after 6 months! If you decide to proceed, the minmum charge is around $8k but does not include charges for parts, etc… If they don’t have the parts, they will fabricate it for you. Likewise, you can tell them you only want a movement restoration and not to touch the hand, dial and bezel insert. After i got the quote, i did not proceed and just pulled out my watch.

15. erpin9 May 20, 2022

Yes he is one of the most knowledgeable and most helpful at the VRF.

Mark020 and watchyouwant like this.
  16. erpin9 May 20, 2022

Like the 6263 albino Daytona of Eric Clapton and the special watches made for the Sultan of Oman to name a few.

17. erpin9 May 31, 2022

I flew into Geneva last May 26 and will bring the watch to the Rolex Heritage Department. My appointment is at 3pm tomorrow and their GMT expert will be present to look at the watch. Hopefully, everything turns out fine. I just want to get this over with and move on.

2E0FE5D9-ADB2-4AD0-B28A-B506724AABC1.jpeg

i also met Laurent Ponti and Roy Davidoff here in Geneva. They are both respected vintage watch dealers and saw several of their fantastic watches. My favorite is the vintage Omega Apollo Soyuz Speedmaster and a ref 2915 Speedmaster offered by Roy Davidoff.

Also bought today the new Tudor 58 in Paris. Really nice watch to wear.

3A998B03-572A-4ABA-8F80-DAE6B92848A6.jpeg

watchyouwant, vibe, Shabbaz and 7 others like this.
  18. erpin9 Jun 1, 2022

Brought the watch today to the Heritage Department and after careful inspection by their technician, it was accepted for closer inspection and a quotation for movement servicing. They said 2 weeks for a quote but im sure it will take a few months. The technician said they don't have a silver dial on their data base so this might be a special order. Have to wait now for their final verdict. If they send me a quotation, it only means the whole watch is legit.

57CF8FB1-2CA6-4EA7-B187-1DB8F6540A7F.jpeg

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2022
    watchyouwant, vibe and CJpickup57 like this.
  19. cvalue13 Jun 1, 2022

you might consider deleting these photos that include your mailing and billing addresses and re-upload versions that block out that info

Caliber561, JimJupiter, Dries and 2 others like this.
  20. JimJupiter Jun 1, 2022

Just wanted to write the same when I saw it at the Vintage Rolex Forum. Almost all your data is there. Delete it fast! @erpin9