Forums Latest Members

Caught a Rolex GMT 1675 with Silver Dial

1. erpin9 Dec 18, 2020

Two months ago this 1963 GMT 1675 pcg was offered to me and my first thought was its the controversial albino GMT made for Pan Am. However, the case back did not have the Pan Am logo. I said maybe the Pan Am executive who was given the watch didn’t like the white dial so he had it replaced by an AD with a black dial and somehow the dial ended up in this watch.

I started doing research and the owner was kind enough to allow my watch maker to remove the dial from the watch so we can study it well. Upon close inspection, the dial appears to have a light silver metallic color and has faded into a nice ivory hue. Likewise, the geiger reading confirmed that it has radium lumes. IMHO, the dial to me is original.

I also asked the help of my dealer who knows several well respected experts from Europe and America for their opinion. Most stated that it appears to be original but would want to see it in person.

So with no definite assurance, my dilemma was how to negotiate with the seller given these facts. I was very up front and showed him all the comments i got from the experts. I told him i was willing to gamble but not at the price he was asking for. We could not agree on a price so the deal was put off.

Last week i got a call from my dealer that the owner was willing to accept my cash offer but i should add one of my 1675 matte dial GMT watch into the deal. I wanted to say yes but asked if i can be given a few days to think about it. I weighed all the facts and decided i should stick to my original offer considering that if the dial checks out to be non original, i will end up the biggest loser.

The owner relented and now the watch is mine. I plan to send it to someone who i presume is the most knowledgeable and hopefully he will confirm that its an original Rolex dial. In the meantime, i will enjoy the watch despite all the controversies that comes with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9931AF9C-62F0-43CE-81BD-8AEC8EB86F97.jpeg
  2. cvalue13 Dec 18, 2020

Great looking watch. Congrats.

erpin9 likes this.
  3. southtexas Dec 18, 2020

Very interesting ERpin and what a pick-up (as usual!). This is well above my knowledge grade but I’m eager to hear the outcome, I think it might be a bumpy ride! Good luck with it, I hope it’s right.

4. Linesiders Stripers, not snook. Dec 18, 2020

Is the dial relief printed? Like normal gilts?

erpin9 likes this.
  5. erpin9 Dec 18, 2020

Not sure what you mean by dial relief sir?

bassem abadan likes this.
  6. Dan S Dec 18, 2020

In a normal gilt dial, I believe that the gold printing is actually the color of the underlying dial that is visible in places where the black color is not applied, essentially a negative print.

7. erpin9 Dec 18, 2020

No its not. Its printed on top of the dial paint.

8. janice&fred Dec 18, 2020

Interesting find Eric and was it sourced there in the Philippines? It reminds me of the one I seen in Cebu City a few years ago. There is also a white dialed sub in Cebu but from what I recall it's an older no crown guard model.

erpin9 likes this.
  9. erpin9 Dec 18, 2020

Found it here Fred. Now the white sub is interesting.

10. airansun In the shuffling madness Dec 18, 2020

Fascinating. The first clip, YouTube puts behind a warning, but not the second, slightly longer clip.

Like she says, I say too. Great great watch. I’ll be surprised if it’s not genuine.

janice&fred, erpin9 and Thrasher36 like this.
  11. bags1971 Dec 18, 2020

are they radium burns on the dial looks like it to me

erpin9 likes this.
  12. mbeast Dec 18, 2020

Good god. If that's not original then it's incredibly well done (to a terrifying extent). Please let us know what the top expert says about it.

erpin9 and Thrasher36 like this.
  13. Marsimaxam Dec 18, 2020

I'm not an expert on the Pan American Airlines GMT 6542 model. These are very rare and most reference books imply that fewer than 200 of these white dials were made and are an extremely rare find today. First the Pan-American GMT did not have crown guards, second the dial did not have the word "superlative" written on the dial. Also "officially certified" was below the words "GMT-Master".

The dial on your watch I do not believe is a Pan-American white dial. It is a puzzle and I do hope you are able to determine what exactly you hold in your hand.
    download.jpg
    Link:https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/Albino-GMT-Master-6542

14. sgrossma Dec 18, 2020

When will the experts chime in!?! ::popcorn::

erpin9 likes this.
  15. jaguar11 Dec 18, 2020

Looks nice!

erpin9 likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2020

erpin9 likes this.
  17. erpin9 Dec 18, 2020

The SCOC writing is also a great puzzle to the experts but one did mention that if its a white silver dial, then the SCOC writing is okay.

18. erpin9 Dec 19, 2020

Yes they are.

19. Dsplash Dec 19, 2020

Very interesting story! I surely don’t have the expertise needed to assess this but the writing looks pretty sharp on the macros!

did the previous owner tell you where and when he (alledgedly^^) came into its possession?

i sure hope your gamble pays off!

erpin9 likes this.
  20. erpin9 Dec 19, 2020

Never got to talk with the owner because the sale was handled by a third party. The watch was inherited and the recipient was not into watches

Mam likes this.