Forums Latest Members
  1. Jorisvp Mar 10, 2020

Hi all,

I came across an advertisement of a renowned jeweller that sells an Omega Speedmaster. There is, however, one thing I don't understand. Looking at the caseback of this watch, I assumed it is a pre-moon (or at least pre-70) speedmaster. Yet, it is advertised as an 1972 Speedmaster with caliber 861. Unfortunately, pictures of the movement have not been provided in the advertisement.

Does anybody have a clue whether the jeweller made a mistake, or the caseback indeed matches the watch' assumed age?

Many thanks in advance,

Joris

Omega 1.JPG Omega 2.JPG Omega 3.JPG Omega 4.JPG Omega 5.JPG
  2. cvrle1 Mar 10, 2020

Could be 145.022 - 69 that was produced in 72. Of course it is hard to know exact date of production without extract.
    That looks like -69 with pre moon case back, stepped dial, DNN bezel with big font, but cant be certain without serial # at least.

Edit: Listing does say +/- 1972, so seller isnt sure. Not sure about asking price of € 8000, but maybe thats normal price in Europe.

Jorisvp likes this.
  3. Dan S Mar 10, 2020

Looks like a -69 as mentioned above. We have no idea if it was produced in 1972, since no serial number has even been mentioned.

Jorisvp and JanV like this.
  4. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2020

Apart from the crown the watch might be completely original, including the DNN bezel. Considering this, it could be a late 145.022-69, produced in the early 70s.

Maybe it was sold in 1972?

There's nothing that appears wrong to me except the seller doesn't provide information of the inside of the watch.

What prevents you from asking the seller for further information on the movement and its serial #?

Edited Mar 10, 2020
    Jorisvp likes this.
  5. Jorisvp Mar 10, 2020

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!

@cvrle1 in Europe (I am based in the Netherlands) €8000 for a 70’s speedmaster is way too much. But for a pre-moon this price would be reasonable I guess (particularly as it comes with a one-year warranty and the overall condition seems pretty good).

@OMEGuy The watch made me curious as I have never seen a 70’s speedmaster with such a caseback. As I just started learning about speedmasters, I wanted to know whether this is correct.

I will ask the seller for the serial number.

OMEGuy likes this.
  6. OMEGuy Mar 10, 2020

It's not uncommon that a "-69" Speedy was produced in the early 1970s, but it's essential to know the serial number of the movement, to check if it's supposed to be matching or not. And then it's always important to see what's inside this timepiece you are considering to buy. So please get yourself some pictures of the inside of this watch.

There are many "mixed-pickles" around.

This watch looks honest to me, but better check twice. ;)

SpikiSpikester and Jorisvp like this.
  7. Dan S Mar 10, 2020

Ask for a photo of the inside of the case-back as well. For that asking price, you should get every bit of information. Actually, for a DNN 145.022-69, that price is just too high for me, end of story.

Jorisvp likes this.
  8. Jorisvp May 1, 2020

Again, thanks all for the response. I asked the seller for a serial number, but was informed today that for such requests, they don't (partially) disassemble watches. So they will not remove the case back for me and still have no serial number. I replied the seller that I think it is quite weird that a respected company as them only provides one sentence of information in the listing of a watch that is 50 years old and priced at EU8,000. So I will let this one go.

BTW: here is the link to the watch: https://preowned.schaapcitroen.nl/nl/tweedehands-omega-horloge-speedmaster-42mm-8500019.html

9. joe band May 1, 2020

they won't "partially disassemble" a watch?

nice watch, but what a crock.

Jorisvp and Archer like this.