Forums Latest Members

Canadian thinking of buying DSOTM off Chrono24

1. Beaman33 Jan 23, 2021

Hoping to get some advice and thoughts on purchasing from Chrono24, from what I have read it seems like a fairly reputable site as long as you do your due diligence. That being said I have had my eye on a DSOTM .007 model for years and know in Alberta at an authorized dealer it is at least $16,000cdn+tax. I have seen multiple listings on Chrono24 posting new watches for approximately $12,000cdn, when I estimate taxes and duty I add an additional $1,200cdn. What am I missing? Seems way too good to be true. This would be my second omega and obviously a larger purchase so appreciate any advice.

https://www.chrono24.ca/omega/omega...c-black-dial-black-ceramic-men--id8853555.htm

2. YY77 Jan 23, 2021

This could be a new grey market watch without manufacturer warranty as they aren't stating it in the description but saying you contact their customer service about it.

3. mjb Jan 25, 2021

You can save a lot of money buying from a gray market dealer. But be careful, because quite often there is no warranty as noted above.

Look here on this forum (classifieds) for popular/frequent/well known dealers. Select one or more that seem reputable and ask them what they can sell you that same watch for, and if they provide the warranty. Their savings from not paying Chrono24 fees should be passed along to you.

4. Cod Holliday Jan 25, 2021

What others have said above. Also find an AD you can work with. See what's the best price they can offer you. Normally you can score a 20% discount.

5. Beaman33 Jan 25, 2021

Thanks for the responses, I emailed the dealer "watchshopping" from the link above asking about the warranty and they responded back with the following:

"This watch comes with Omega 5 years international warranty card. You can contact Omega repair center, provide AD and purchase information on the warranty card if your watch need service."

I think this is the same as my previous watch. Has anyone had experience purchasing from Chrono24 before? Everything I can read basically emphasizes Caveat Emptor.

6. lexieb007 Jan 25, 2021

Chrono24 is great for checking market prices only purchased one watch that way though. You still have to police sellers listings. Just my view

7. guppydriver Jan 25, 2021

Go to watchshopping.com and have a live chat with them. I ordered something from them four days ago. I'll let you know how the smooth the entire process is and if the watch arrives as advertised.

8. Gruesome Jan 26, 2021

Chrono24 is just the middleman; they provide what is essentially an escrow service. You confirm receipt of the watch, they release the funds to the seller. I don't know about the specific pitfalls of buying in/from Canada, but my purchase, of a new IWC with manufacturer's warranty, from and to the US, was just fine. I was able to register the watch and confirm (and extend) the warranty. I don't know how it works for gray market Omega's, since my only Omega was used (and is also still covered by the original Omega warranty).

I think watch warranties are more straightforward and less problematic than camera warranties, where it matters a lot whether the camera came in via the national importer/distributor.

Edited Jan 26, 2021