Can anyone explain this accelerated dial "ageing"?

To add to the anecdotal evidence, I had a 100% original black dial, which had not been serviced and been absolutely fine for years, it then developed the petrol like sheen, and within a week had started to peel. Almost certain it was not water ingress, but cant be sure, but certainly no "oil" was put on the dial.

I would like to know if there is still the oily shimmer on the dial now, or has it gone? If it is no longer there I think that it is a likely culprit, if it is still there, then fine look elsewhere for the cause.

Every dealer gets a dud now and again, it's how they deal with it that makes them good or mediocre.

I have never had a watch degrade in my possession?

I've never had a watch degrade in my possession either. And I have over 30 vintage watches all stored in the same way. Never had an issue.

The oily sheen is now gone.

Like most of you I don't suggest dial tampering and this oily shimmer that was mentioned in my experience was more of a buy signal for me.

@omega_enthusiast on Instagram has an excellent reputation and I've dealt with him for years. I've bought multiple significantly overpriced examples from him as he is known for but my mantra is to always pay for condition. Which I thought on this example - paying top dollar for its immaculate condition.

@omega_enthusiast's stance to this is that he sold me a perfectly good watch and he has no idea what happened nor will claim any sort of responsibility. It's down to my own bad luck.

If anyone has a spare period correct dial for this reference, please let me know.

Add an example on the suv dial. I shot it in normal light. And that effect is not on the black paint.

Add an example on the suv dial. I shot it in normal light. And that effect is not on the black paint.

Maybe the Radium hands were set at 7 minutes past 3 for a looong time.... Kind regards. Achim
Edited:

Maybe the Radium hands were set at 7 minutes past 3 for a looking time.... Kind regards. Achim
Yes, It has been kept and deactivated at that point until I own it

Probably unlikely but would rodico or putty leave that residue?

Probably unlikely but would rodico or putty leave that residue?

No

The early signs of degradation were all there. I just didn't pay enough attention to it. Costly mistake of an amateur.

I just find the rapid acceleration of the degradation shocking. That watch made it 50+ years with slight signs of aging and within 1.5yrs went to full on melt-down. I am genuinely curious about what could have done this as a cautionary tale.

The "oily" effect is not a mystery for me: it is probably the result of a thin transparent film added to a glossy (reflective) black paint. It has the same optical result as an oil slick on water for example, hence the confusion. It has to do with interference and the thinness of the varnish (quarter of the wavelength, or a multiple). I wish I could explain clearly but my optical knowledge is more than 20 years old...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin-film_interference

I've seen it on quite a few dials, black (easier to see) but also white.

complete and utter BS. Everyone knows it was the chemtrails.
Everyone also knows chemtrails are caused by aliens. Except you.:thumbsup:

I’m sorry but there is just no way this seller did anything underhanded. No way

Found this pic on Instagram, looks like similar/same has happened to this dial. Wonder if this one had the same oily appearance prior to the deterioration?

06973935-9E7D-417C-8180-FE286CF05EB3.jpeg

I am not saying, i am asking. Why? Well, the dial looked too good for an old watch. And also, I see so many dials / watches on eBay (from Ukraine) that are, for some reasons, black and look new. It would appear that Black is a colour of choice for watchmakers / dial re-finishers. Also, should not humidity or WD40 :) have some impact on the rest of the watch? The movement, hands, case screws, etc? Some old cars look very nice after paint job, until next spring. Again, please treat this as a question, not a statement. I have Omegas from late 1930s and mid 1940s - none of the dials look like that one.
It’s not a redial

I am not saying, i am asking. Why? Well, the dial looked too good for an old watch. And also, I see so many dials / watches on eBay (from Ukraine) that are, for some reasons, black and look new. It would appear that Black is a colour of choice for watchmakers / dial re-finishers. Also, should not humidity or WD40 :) have some impact on the rest of the watch? The movement, hands, case screws, etc? Some old cars look very nice after paint job, until next spring. Again, please treat this as a question, not a statement. I have Omegas from late 1930s and mid 1940s - none of the dials look like that one.

Condition is a good clue to whether a watch is original or not, but I have yet to rule out a watch because of it solely. If it matches the rest of the cosmetics then there should be some other key issue in order to rule it out. If there is any, I can't see it.

Have you noticed any anomalies?