Can anyone explain this accelerated dial "ageing"?

even in the seller pics you can see the black paint degrading is already happening around the small second sub dial edge, and the outer edge of the whole dial. Looks like the process has just continued, or accelerated, for whatever reason, not sure why

if I am understanding correctly you are 2.5 years into ownership, so this didn't happen overnight

Indeed. Seller also claimed there was no way a dial could age that way in such a short time.

Saw the seller...

And?.. Is there something I don't know about

google the name, specifically google “omega forums.net: omega_enthusiast”

To me, that dial was refinished in the first place. Swiss Made print.... Then maybe a protective layer of an oil based top coat applied. Think the light coats for paintings to protect from degradation.... Just a guess , but there are a few liquid coats on the market for oil paintings....

Unfortunately sometimes this happens...had this amazing bubbleback and the dial turned to an ugly color after dial sat in a plastic container in a regular envelope. First time this ever happened to me and my warchmaker.

DSCN5918.jpeg received_373213790024192.jpeg

You can see some of the aging already around the subdial when it was with the seller. My guess is that something caused it to quickly happen to the rest of the dial.

Unfortunately sometimes this happens...had this amazing bubbleback and the dial turned to an ugly color after dial sat in a plastic container in a regular envelope. First time this ever happened to me and my warchmaker.

DSCN5918.jpeg received_373213790024192.jpeg

You can see some of the aging already around the subdial when it was with the seller. My guess is that something caused it to quickly happen to the rest of the dial.

In Rolex terms you added 50 % of value to this now " Tropical Dial "..... Congratulations ! Must try that as well ...

I have a Constellation that shows the same rainbow/oil shimmer on the dial under certain lighting types, it has nothing to do with oil...

These sort of things just happen. If I were to speculate (as I am wont to do) I would say that it has more to do with moisture ingress and containment while stored in a fairly sealed environment than some shady business.

Depending on the type of safe, it could be the cause of the dial degradation. If the safe is fire rated they often have moisture in the materials in the safe wall, so if the OP didn’t use a desiccant inside the safe, it may have lead to moisture ingress. ...

Does this technology exist in old bank safes or is this private safes in private homes?
I say « old bank safes » because I believe the bank vaults I’ve been in contact with have probably been in existence for at least 40 years. I heard they’re a big financial burden for banks to maintain so they’re not adding any.
Edited:

Does this technology exist in old bank safes or is this private safes in private homes?
I say « old bank safes » because I believe the bank vaults I’ve been in contact with have probably been in existence for at least 40 years. I heard they’re a big financial burden for banks to maintain so they’re not adding any.

yes, it is a standard glass bell, with a ceramic floor with holes, under which you put the silica gel. Or just cotton bags containing the gel, which defies however the purpose of seeing the change of colour.

silica gel has been mixed with an blue indicator, which turns pink/orange when it has adsorbed enough humidity and its close to saturation.

to regenerate just one hr in an oven at 140 C will turn it back to blue.

More than 10 old silica gel should be replaced with newer ones, because they used to be using cobalt blue, now indicated as carcinogenic

Quite some time ago (two or three years) I think it was @Spacefruit commented in a post the effect of storing watches in bank security boxes in Hong Kong and the negative effect it had on the watches.
I live in a humid environment and for the last three years (prior to that I was living in the desert, so no humidity issues) have kept my watches in a dry box. I also keep the boxes and other things that might be affected by the humidity in a dry box and am about to buy a larger one to accomodate more.

We have cameras and a security system and when we are away the watches are moved to a safe until we return.
IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1720.jpeg

Interesting thread and I feel sorry for the OP. I think the suggestion to get the watch to a watchmaker for assessment is the way to go.
I wouldn’t like to comment on the dials originality but something like this won’t do the dealers reputation any favours.
I’ve used silica gel pouches whilst storing watches and had my reservations about doing this but assume it’s safe to do so ?

yes, it is a standard glass bell, with a ceramic floor with holes, under which you put the silica gel. Or just cotton bags containing the gel, which defies however the purpose of seeing the change of colour.

silica gel has been mixed with an blue indicator, which turns pink/orange when it has adsorbed enough humidity and its close to saturation.

to regenerate just one hr in an oven at 140 C will turn it back to blue.

More than 10 old silica gel should be replaced with newer ones, because they used to be using cobalt blue, now indicated as carcinogenic
I’m’sorry, I’m talking about the technology @Archer was talking about of putting humidity in the walls of safes to make them more fire resistant.
I’m wondering if this is a newer technology primarily offered to people who put safes in their homes, or if this added humidity device might exist in bank safes that have been around for a long time. I would doubt it — and hope not.

Sorry about the OP’s predicament, no matter what the cause maybe.

I’m’sorry, I’m talking about the technology @Archer was talking about of putting humidity in the walls of safes to make them more fire resistant.
I’m wondering if this is a newer technology primarily offered to people who put safes in their homes, or if this added humidity device might exist in bank safes that have been around for a long time. I would doubt it — and hope not.

Sorry about the OP’s predicament, no matter what the cause maybe.

My bad, it is the exact opposite then. More like the technology used in humidors for cigars.

I think the dealer somehow had dial played with and this was the end result. I doubt moisture, the numbers, markers and hands all have not changed , just the dial. Sorry about this man.

I had silica gel in each case and some in the watch storage itself. So highly unlikely it's moisture damage.

Well, that's a good thing to do. However those need to be changed or "recharged" (if possible) every 4 weeks or so, so unless you are doing that there is still a chance of moisture being the issue here. Certainly "something" caused this other than just time, and moisture is the #1 suspect here...

google the name, specifically google “omega forums.net: omega_enthusiast”

What am I missing here? Seems like users are generally happy with their purchases from OE, the main complaint being high prices.

This tends to be more of an issue with home safes. In a old style walk-in bank vault, it would typically be in a location with fire suppression (sprinklers) so making the walls with moisture inside them wouldn't be needed to protect the safe's contents the way it's done with smaller home safes.

If you research safes for home or office, you will find a lot of details about moisture, and that many safes require either weekly airing out to dry the insides, or desiccants that are regularly replaced.

My guess the OP had bought a watch that was recently lacquered and the lacquer delaminated over a short period of time.
The rainbow effect is caused by light interference that occurs in thin films (e.g. lacquer on a dial, or an oil slick on water).
Maybe the lacquer can be removed without damaging the dial.