Calibre of my dad’s omega geneve

Hi Everyone,

I’m new here. Somehow the winding stem was broken, so but I’ve no idea about the calibre of this watch. Can anyone advise please? Dont have any tools to open up the case back and see. Appreciated.

omega.jpg

Cheers

Welcome to OF. You might have a caliber 610 inside (corrected below to 56x), but it would be hard for anyone to confirm that without opening the case back. If a piece of the old stem is still in there, you would have to open it anyway, so I would do that now (or take it to a watchmaker) before ordering any parts.
Edited:

Likely cal 56x: 562, 563, 565.

Not a 610 which is a hand wind.

Thanks for the correction. I completely missed that important detail.

thought this should be cal 565 in respect of the omega logo and text etc.
Edited:

Welcome to OF. You might have a caliber 610 inside (corrected below to 56x), but it would be hard for anyone to confirm that without opening the case back. If a piece of the old stem is still in there, you would have to open it anyway, so I would do that now (or take it to a watchmaker) before ordering any parts.

Thank you for your feedback. May I know what kinda tool I need in order to access into the movement?

A case back opening ball or 3 pronged case back opener.
If you’re unable to figure out how to open the case back are you likely to be able to install a new crown without damaging it

It’s probably a 166.041 with, as mentioned above, a calibre 565 movement.

Although the caseback unscrews and you can use a rubber ball unwinder, as I would, obtainable on eBay, it rather sounds to me as though you should send it to a watchmaker local to you.

If you let us know where you are, someone will be able to recommend a local watchmaker. It’s not just a case of buying and fitting a correct new stem, there may be other issues that show a need for re-alignment and adjustment and these are such good watches, it’s not worth f***ing it up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

The fact that you didn’t know the calibre or case model suggests you are, at best, inexperienced.

A service should cost around £150 plus parts but you should use someone who knows what to do.

I have a similar model

IMG_2007.jpeg

As mentioned above, I would try the sticky ball method if you want to tinker with it. Depending on where live, you should be able to find it on Amazon, eBay or similar sites.

A case back opening ball or 3 pronged case back opener.
If you’re unable to figure out how to open the case back are you likely to be able to install a new crown without damaging it

Thank you for your advice. Certainly I will have a watchmaker to deal with the replacement, however, need to get the correct stem first.

Thank you for your advice. Certainly I will have a watchmaker to deal with the replacement, however, need to get the correct stem first.

Actually, one of the great things about calibre 565s is that parts are comparatively easy for a watch repairer to source. In your position, and I have been, I’d send the watch to a reputable watchmaker (although no need to send it to Omega) and let him source it.

It’s probably a 166.041 with, as mentioned above, a calibre 565 movement.

Although the caseback unscrews and you can use a rubber ball unwinder, as I would, obtainable on eBay, it rather sounds to me as though you should send it to a watchmaker local to you.

If you let us know where you are, someone will be able to recommend a local watchmaker. It’s not just a case of buying and fitting a correct new stem, there may be other issues that show a need for re-alignment and adjustment and these are such good watches, it’s not worth f***ing it up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

The fact that you didn’t know the calibre or case model suggests you are, at best, inexperienced.

A service should cost around £150 plus parts but you should use someone who knows what to do.

I have a similar model

IMG_2007.jpeg

Wow…yours look great indeed.

Thank you all for advice. Will definitely get it to a reliable watchmaker for repair.

Wow…yours look great indeed.

Thank you all for advice. Will definitely get it to a reliable watchmaker for repair.

If you already have a good repairer, that’s fine but, if not, let us know where you’re located and someone will know a reliable (and not overly expensive) repairer

Welcome! Your watch looks to be in good condition for it's age and also looks to have the factory brushing on the dial side of the case. Highly second finding a watchmaker with vintage Omega experience to perform a service and they will be able to help you source a crown. Was just writing what @Spruce mentioned above haha. Letting us know your general location will definitely help someone point you in a helpful direction.

Hi there mate,

another vote that it’s a 565. Good news is parts are easily obtainable for that calibre so should it require parts, no dramas to get them.

a simple service and it should be good to go most likely. Enjoy the watch.

Hi there mate,

another vote that it’s a 565. Good news is parts are easily obtainable for that calibre so should it require parts, no dramas to get them.

a simple service and it should be good to go most likely. Enjoy the watch.

Hi Everyone,

Opened up the watch, its stated 565. The winding stem I bought from ebay was NOT the right size to fit in. The seller said it should be good for a range of cal including 565. Can anyone please advise the source to get the correct one? Appreciated.

Whats-App-Image-2023-07-31-at-7-31-35-AM.jpg

Have you taken the stem to your watchmaker? I believe stems are cut to size, ie they don’t fit out of the packet.

Have you taken the stem to your watchmaker? I believe stems are cut to size, ie they don’t fit out of the packet.

Hi,yes I did give the stem I bought to the watchmaker, however, it seems not the right specs. See photo - broken one (above), bought (below).

Whats-App-Image-2023-07-31-at-7-33-59-AM.jpg

I found another source on ebay, its stated for cal 565, but its not clear with the photo. Any input?

s-l1600.jpg