Cal 565 x Cal 1481 help

Hello,

I have made a brief research and I saw 1481 is a more commercial caliber with 21 jewels shared with tissot.
The 565 has 24 jwls and famous by its resistance.

Do you consider they are at the same level of movements regarding reliability or 565 is ahead the 1481.

We can find 1481 in good conditions around $550/600 and 565 watches can start from $600 to the sky

Do you think it’s worth it to wait to get a 565 instead a good 1481?

thank you

Bruno
Edited:

I’m not a watchmaker, merely a wearer but, I’d go for a 565 or the no date 552 almost every time.

Apart from anything else, I think that they look nicer

Like 2
Which references are you considering, specifically? Most people don't buy watches for the movement caliber alone.

Like 2
Which references are you considering, specifically? Most people don't buy watches for the movement caliber alone.
Reliable movement, history and design.
Moreover, the movement can (sometimes) justify the value.

Reliable movement, history and design.
Moreover, the movement can (sometimes) justify the value.
If you are interested in specific references, please post some photos and I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

Frankly, it's a bit pointless to discuss movements in a vacuum, everyone has their favorites, and the 500-series movements are obviously more collectible and associated with Omega's golden age. However, if there is a specific watch that you like with a cal 1481, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

If you are interested in specific references, please post some photos and I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

Frankly, it's a bit pointless to discuss movements in a vacuum, everyone has their favorites, and the 500-series movements are obviously more collectible and associated with Omega's golden age. However, if there is a specific watch that you like with a cal 1481, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
You’re right.

here are some watches I am in doubt.
Both serviced.

this a 565 around $630 (+tax when delivered)

IMG_1301.jpeg IMG_1302.jpeg IMG_1303.jpeg

this is a 1481 around $550 (+ tax when delivered)
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1307.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg

Neither of those references are appealing to me.

They’re quite different references. One is very basic and utilitarian with a straight edged case, the other has quite a marmite case, with very curved lugs etc.

It might be better narrowing down the type and style of watch you prefer rather than concentrating on the movement.

Like 1
Neither of those references are appealing to me.
I liked both, they seem nicely preserved and cleaned
That’s why I was in doubt regarding a little cheaper 1481 or a little more expensive 565.

but appreciate

They’re quite different references. One is very basic and utilitarian with a straight edged case, the other has quite a marmite case, with very curved lugs etc.

It might be better narrowing down the type and style of watch you prefer rather than concentrating on the movement.
Thank you!

Actually I think the geneve with 1481 very nice for dressing daily use, but would it be over priced compared to the 565 above?

I wouldn’t hesitate , the SM with the 565 is a cooler ref with a better movement.

Like 3
You’re right.

here are some watches I am in doubt.
Both serviced.

this a 565 around $630 (+tax when delivered)

IMG_1301.jpeg IMG_1302.jpeg IMG_1303.jpeg

this is a 1481 around $550 (+ tax when delivered)
IMG_1304.jpeg
IMG_1307.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg
IMG_1305.jpeg

I also find it odd that you're referring to the movement instead of the case reference. Most people buy watches based on the design rather than the movement. As long as it's accurate and the complications are easy to change, I don't believe most people have a strong preference.

I believe the first watch is ref 166.067. Definitely a quirky design but I like it better than the Geneve.

Like 1
I also find it odd that you're referring to the movement instead of the case reference. Most people buy watches based on the design rather than the movement. As long as it's accurate and the complications are easy to change, I don't believe most people have a strong preference.

I believe the first watch is ref 166.067. Definitely a quirky design but I like it better than the Geneve.
I like most the second one regarding design.
The first one is gone already.

Regarding movement, I like to choose vintage watches by design and movement reliability and some history

The 1481 looks very cut price next to the earlier in house Omega stuff, it’s more Tissot than Omega and was developed in the dark days of the 1970s so you’ll prob not see any stunning designs that use it. It was an answer to the quartz crisis. I’m not a fan of it or the 1000 series made at the same time.

Like 2
I do not think there was a chronometer rated 565.

Still one of the nicer omega workhorse movements if one likes a date window. I think it was used more in the lower end Geneve and Dynamic lines.

Problem is there seems to be a trend where 565 componenents and movements were used to franken constellations. I think the 561 dials also fit.

Really the main differences on the 550/600 movements is the jewel count and finish.

the 1xxx movements seem to be cost reductions. This can be seen in the 625 and 635 18mm movements as well. The rotors are stammped rather than machined. It looks like in the 1960s and 1970 there was increased use of computer assistance, not just in marketing; manufacture as well. NC machines were probably more in use. So the components would have needed to be more CAM freindly. CAM was still in infancy so the NC operator would take the blueprints and code the paper tape directly. (I did my electronics final on this subject in 1982 where it was already pretty much obsolete.) Note that I am referring to NC not CNC.

Rotor bearing wear seems to have been an issue on the 550 line as there are a number of variations on the axel and gib. Probably to reduce wear.

Like 1
Someone got it already probably because of this post lol

Highly doubt it, but this is something that goes through the heads of many new members here hahaha