C-cased Constellation advice

Hi. I wondered if anyone can help me with this Constellation i'm looking to purchase? I understand it's been restored but as this is my first vintage watch and i have very little idea on spotting issues with originality, if anyone could have a look at these pics to see if anything jumps out i would be most grateful. Many thanks.

View attachment 1177285 s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg s-l1600-3.jpg s-l1600-4.jpg s-l1600.jpg
Edited:

I don't know that much about these but that certainly looks like a redial to me.

I also think this is a redial, but would not claim to be an expert. I don’t have a macro picture of my C-case, but even this picture shows the difference in the fonts and letter spacing under the Omega applied lettering:
04DC8828-850F-4F06-BF5B-8F20B30C35E0.jpeg

Basically the text one yours looks to be sans serif there.

If this is a redial (and this is often what dealers mean by “restored”), it means that a third party has repainted the dial in as close as they can get to the original Omega printing. Sometimes that’s very close and other times less so.

if you like the piece and it speaks to you, there’s nothing really wrong in owning and wearing a redialled watch, but its value to a collector will be a fraction of what you’d get if it was an untouched original. Chances are, no one you will ever meet will know the difference, and it will probably be more presentable as a smart dressy watch than an untouched (but well worn) original. But you would know it isn’t entirely original and that might start to eat away at you until you replace it with something that is!

I also think this is a redial, but would not claim to be an expert. I don’t have a macro picture of my C-case, but even this picture shows the difference in the fonts and letter spacing under the Omega applied lettering:

If this is a redial (and this is often what dealers mean by “restored”), it means that a third party has repainted the dial in as close as they can get to the original Omega printing. Sometimes that’s very close and other times less so.

if you like the piece and it speaks to you, there’s nothing really wrong in owning and wearing a redialled watch, but its value to a collector will be a fraction of what you’d get if it was an untouched original. Chances are, no one you will ever meet will know the difference, and it will probably be more presentable as a smart dressy watch than an untouched (but well worn) original. But you would know it isn’t entirely original and that might start to eat away at you until you replace it with something that is!

Thanks so much for your advice. I can clearly see the font doesn’t look how it should and has been repainted now you have pointed it out. I appreciate the tips.

By the way, I think you have made a great decision to look for a C-case as a first vintage watch! A good original one won’t be really cheap, but more reasonable than some of the earlier pie pan style Connies that new collectors seem to go mad for 😉

One good way to school yourself in these is by sitting down with a coffee and checking out the many pages of the C-case Constellation thread, and by reading Desmond's excellent article here.

By the way, I think you have made a great decision to look for a C-case as a first vintage watch! A good original one won’t be really cheap, but more reasonable than some of the earlier pie pan style Connies that new collectors seem to go mad for 😉

One good way to school yourself in these is by sitting down with a coffee and checking out the many pages of the C-case Constellation thread, and by reading Desmond's excellent article here.

Oh brilliant thanks! Yeah i've been saving for the past 12 months and have a budget of around £1k. I've looked at all sorts of 50s/60s Omega models but i'm really drawn to the C-case and want to find a good one for every day use. I just want to get the balance right of something that has nice age wear and not to shiny but not too beaten up. Thanks for taking the time to reach out.

Looks a a redial to me too. Besides, there is no adjusted to 5 pos and 2 temp on the bridge.

Also, when looking for a c case, try to find a case with an original finish to the case - it should be a circular brushing on the lugs and radial on the bezel:

20201001_143918.jpg

Looks a a redial to me too. Besides, there is no adjusted to 5 pos and 2 temp on the bridge.

Also, when looking for a c case, try to find a case with an original finish to the case - it should be a circular brushing on the lugs and radial on the bezel:

20201001_143918.jpg

Hey thanks for the tip. That brushing is a lovely detail.

I'm quite drawn to this one currently. I do feel i need to see a few in the metal though first. Cheers s-l1600-2.jpg

I'm quite drawn to this one currently. I do feel i need to see a few in the metal though first. Cheers s-l1600-2.jpg
Yes, this one looks much better. I believe the linen dials are much harder to redial, for obvious reasons. They also catch the light and change apparent colour beautifully. This 168.017 has the radial brushing on the bezel that it should and the dial looks good to me, but it does come down to price, service history and what the innards look like.

Worth taking your time with this. Your budget should be enough, but you may need to be patient to get a good example.

Yup- the linen is a good one, just as you would want to see it. There were many variations in color and dial texture, but fonts were consistent- that’s the tell. I frankly think these are the sexiest watches Omega ever made, particularly paired with the bricks bracelet.

I am a fan
5F0D576F-0042-45AE-B34C-5A436422984D.jpeg

Oh brilliant thanks! Yeah i've been saving for the past 12 months and have a budget of around £1k. I've looked at all sorts of 50s/60s Omega models but i'm really drawn to the C-case and want to find a good one for every day use. I just want to get the balance right of something that has nice age wear and not to shiny but not too beaten up. Thanks for taking the time to reach out.
You’ve got enough saved to buy a good example. These are (relatively) good value and plentiful - the 561 and 564 are great movements (as are the later 7XX series) with the C case design reportedly designed by Gerald agents. It also gives the watch a larger presence than many similar size watches of that era. A fantastic choice and better value for money than a comparable Rolex in my view

Yes, this one looks much better. I believe the linen dials are much harder to redial, for obvious reasons. They also catch the light and change apparent colour beautifully. This 168.017 has the radial brushing on the bezel that it should and the dial looks good to me, but it does come down to price, service history and what the innards look like.

Worth taking your time with this. Your budget should be enough, but you may need to be patient to get a good example.

Thanks. Yes i've noticed the textured dial can look a different colour in a few different pics i've seen. Looks like prices are on the rise for C cased especially the lovely 168.027 ref.

Yup- the linen is a good one, just as you would want to see it. There were many variations in color and dial texture, but fonts were consistent- that’s the tell. I frankly think these are the sexiest watches Omega ever made, particularly paired with the bricks bracelet.

I am a fan
Completely agree more. Your grey dial example is a stunner

Prices are slowly rising up, especially in Europe for some reason. But at 1k you should be able to find a very nice example !

I am a fan
I couldn t agree more ! But these look as good on a strap imo:

20201117_171816.jpg 20210302_135317.jpg