Forums Latest Members

Buying My First Speedmaster Professional - Is This The One?

1. Emiliodk Oct 9, 2019

Yeah somethings seem off. He told me he will get back with more info today when back from a seminar. I have no trust issues with the seller, though I know he is a quite old Italian gentleman, and I can feel this in the communication to say the least. O:)

Didn't even notice the serial on the case. Actually I wouldn't mind a 1993 either, as I am looking for either my birth year or my lost brothers birth year in relation to this watch. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

2. sjg22 Oct 9, 2019

Patience is the most underrated quality in watch buying.

These are not rare watches - I would wait for a better one.

Best place to buy is from the sale sections on this very forum, from actual members who have reputations to protect and therefore typically present a watch honestly.

I believe one person told you to buy and 5+ told you to hold off... your choice who to listen to.

Just my $0.02...

Emiliodk and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. Emiliodk Oct 9, 2019

Thank you for your input. :)

I have been looking anonymously at this forums marketplace for some time, and I've never found an exact watch that ticks all my boxes.
    I *really* want the watch before end of this month, so I know I'm not making it easier on myself, but it's something that I'd really like to achieve.

I am taking all inputs, and I feel most of them are concerned about the price. I have already knocked it down a little bit, and think I'm in position to get it even lower. To be honest, if I'm overpaying by a couple of hundred bucks I don't really mind, as the sentimental value is an even bigger factor.

Thanks again, I am really appreciative of all comments on my thread and I've already learned a whole lot!

4. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 9, 2019

If the movement serial(unknown) does not match the case serial(1993)...…...it would appear to me this a $2500 watch and not a $4000+

Emiliodk likes this.
  5. JwRosenthal Oct 9, 2019

If your comfortable with the price I see no issue. Just want to make sure that the premium you are paying for a serviced watch is warranted (as in it was serviced to Omega spec and not just a nip& tuck) and that it is the correct year for you.
    We have several members here who bought a “birth year” watch hastily, only to discover later is was a year or two off. It didn’t make the watch any less lovely, but it colored their perspective and made the watch less special to them.

Emiliodk likes this.
  6. JTridesbikes Oct 9, 2019

newbie here to Omega and swiss watches in general. Just got my first (2016 Aqua Terra).

I don't think the case has been polished, but does that make a watch less desirable? When I asked them at the store about it getting scratched in the future, they said "well all of that gets polished out when you go for your major service every 8 years." Can you guys give a newb some insight?

n.jpg
  7. Emiliodk Oct 9, 2019

8. Martin_F Oct 9, 2019

Well, it comes with an Extract, that's a good start. But the date on it doesn't match the year specified in the ad.
    Also the pictures aren't legible enough to see if the number on the movement matches the EoA.

Other than that, the corners on the case look rounded off pretty bad.
    And the price is even higher than the other one you looked at, right?

9. Emiliodk Oct 9, 2019

It’s advertised as 1991, as that’s when it was expected to have its first sale. I have asked for more pictures and serial number of movement to make sure. Thank you for your input.

10. Martin_F Oct 9, 2019

Oh, so it comes with the original sales receipt in addition to the EoA, that's cool!

11. Emiliodk Oct 10, 2019

Update on this model: Seller wrongly wrote ref 145.022, while in fact its ref 3590.50. He changed the price hereafter to EUR 3999 / USD 4500. Anything on this I should be aware of? He does not know when service was done, but "it runs good and keeps good time". Does this sound alarming? I might use it to negotiate price a bit.

12. inchpincher Has your missing inches Oct 10, 2019

The case looks very polished on your Chrono24 example, I’d keep looking. I know it feels like there’s a deadline because you want it before your birthday but just take a step back and realise this a purchase you want to enjoy for the rest of life, don’t compromise. It’s not a rare watch and when the right mint condition piece pops up and you snag it, you’ll continue to get a buzz every time you wear it.
    I’ll add that I came to this forum looking for a ‘79 birth year Speedmaster and although it took a while eventually a cracker showed up. The problem is all the other watches I’ve bought from here since...

4F8AB413-D242-4B83-AE83-EE438081F062.jpeg
    Edited Oct 10, 2019
    JwRosenthal and Emiliodk like this.
  13. Martin_F Oct 10, 2019

Wait a minute. The case back clearly says 145.022!
    I'd stay away from it!

I'm in a similar position as you. I'm looking for a 1985 Speedmaster. But from looking over the last few month, I've realized that finding that perfect one is hard, even tough people say it's a common year, nobody wants them, etc...

Now I'm thinking it might make more sense for me to just buy a new one and enjoy the watch. If there is a perfect birth year Speedmaster coming up later, I can always decide what to do.

Not exactly sure what your location is, but for the prices you've shown so far, you can get a new watch from one of the reputable sellers on here and it even comes with a 5 year warranty. Just a thought! Only you can make that decision.

14. Emiliodk Oct 10, 2019

I've been told that Omega still uses the 145.022 case even after switching to 3590.50 - I'm not positive but I was told this a few weeks ago.

I don't want a new one mainly due to the new bracelets and dials, which I don't find very nice to look at. I'm European-based, and see that some watches in the States ticks all my boxes but with the import duties on top it will be a nightmare.

15. Emiliodk Oct 10, 2019

Thank you for your input. Actually the deadline is for my firstborn sons date of birth, which should be end of this month! :) Thats a beautiful Speedmaster you got!

inchpincher likes this.
  16. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 10, 2019

Does a European based buyer pay import duties if they buy from a private individual from the United States?
    Just trying to help OF thread poster

145.0022 born March ‘90 then sold ‘91 according to the Speedy born approx serial number search engine 1326924C-C53E-455E-9F33-8C0A86384F51.jpeg

Look how the son sparkles off the dial and case

Edited Oct 10, 2019
  17. jeppehh Oct 10, 2019

Yes. The biggest cost is the added VAT, which depending on where you live is around 20-25%

18. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Oct 10, 2019

So if a seller (not a retailer) from the States ships a watch to a Euro buyer, the buyer has to pay a VAT tax?

How in the hell is that figured?

19. jeppehh Oct 10, 2019

Yes

Are you questioning why the system is created this way, or the mechanics of how the shipment is detected and the fee is charged?

20. Martin_F Oct 10, 2019

Well, if you send a $5000 watch to Europe, you'll have to declare that value with the shipment. There will be a receipt inside that says $5000.
    Then the recipient has to pay VAT based on that price.
    If you declare less, obviously that would be fraud, but I assume you would also have insurance on that shipment, so if wouldn't be in your best interest to "lie" about the value.
    Not accusing you of anything, just pointing things out.
    Now if you ship something a lot less valuable, you might get away with declaring a lower value, but then again it wouldn't be worth it, because VAT would be a lot lower as well.

That's the bad part about VAT. Now the good is, that you don't have to add sales tax to anything you buy like in the US, because prices in Europe already include that cost.

So a new Speedmaster that costs 4800 Euro in Europe, would be ~$5280 with current exchange rate.
    Compare that to $5350 but then you're still adding sales tax to that depending on what State you live in.

The Father likes this.